SOTD w/c Sat 28th Jan - Fri 03rd Feb. incl.

Thursday:

Proraso pre/post
Real Shaving Co. cream - face lathered
Aristocrat Jr.
Feather (1)
Alum & Witch Hazel
T&H Trafalgar splash

3 passes great shave, fantastic razor. Spoiled a bit because I dropped my alum block in the sink and chipped a corner off. Sprayed pieces of alum all over the bathroom. When I walked back in the bathroom later it was like walking on a gravel path! :)

I sometimes do a 'Dartboard Shave'. The idea is I put paper on the dartboard sections with razors, blades, creams and aftershaves. Whatever I hit I use. The idea was to use up stuff that has fallen out of favour and mix things up a bit. Anyone else do something like this?....I'm not good at darts , I cant aim well enough to get a desired result......anyway, last night my Dartboard Shave was :-

Aldi's disposable razor!!!!!!!(i think it was something like 39p for 10)I have no idea how I came by them(honest,guv)

Derby Lavender scent cream

and Selin Lemon Turkish cologne(i think it was about £12 per litre...actually I think its not bad)

This has not been the best shave I have ever had.

But being a 'tight git' I can console myself with the fact that I have used up some more of my cheapo stuff....that is the only consolation I was able to find :/

Thursday morning.

First shave with the Parker 98R H/D Barberpole I was lucky enough to win from RideTheBlade (Thanks again Ray).

7 o'clock yellow (3)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna Soap
Body Shop synthetic brush
Nivea for men ASB.
Haven't decided which A/S to use yet, probably a little Grey Flannel.

The huge difference between the Parker and my usual razor, an EJ86, is the weight !!
No pressure at all needed, 2 passes, and a very satisfactory shave.

The tomorrows new blade should make it even better.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
Stahly-ABC/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
IK used as a stick
Wilkinson AS lotion
Hermes 'eau de Cologne' (vintage juice)

Really enjoying this frankenrazor/blade set up

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Hermes.jpg
    Hermes.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 10
Thursday

Early morning swim then:
Prep: Shower
Prep: The Real Shaving Co. Face Scrub - Does anyone else use this?
Prep: Hot flannel 2 mins
Soap: Arlington soap - used a dryer brush today to load then face lathered. Finally got a good lather :icon_razz:
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Lord Platinum Classic (4) starting to tug so change tomorrow.
Post shave: Alum Block
Post shave: Boots aftershave Balm
Post shave: Geo.F.Trumper - West Indian Extract of Limes Cologne - about an hour after shaving. Love this smell.

I got rid of most of my razors but I seem now to have reached the stage when I'm reminded of my grandson at Christmas. Within a few hours of being surrounded by new toys, he was back to playing around with some 50 year old toy bricks.

Since I started using my old Gillette Slim Twist about three weeks ago ( a PIF ) I don't have any inclination to pick up anything else. Perhaps tomorrow..

razors.jpg

newageshaver said:
I sometimes do a 'Dartboard Shave'. The idea is I put paper on the dartboard sections with razors, blades, creams and aftershaves. Whatever I hit I use. The idea was to use up stuff that has fallen out of favour and mix things up a bit. Anyone else do something like this?....I'm not good at darts , I cant aim well enough to get a desired result......anyway, last night my Dartboard Shave was :-

Aldi's disposable razor!!!!!!!(i think it was something like 39p for 10)I have no idea how I came by them(honest,guv)

and Selin Lemon Turkish cologne(i think it was about £12 per litre...actually I think its not bad)

But being a 'tight git' I can console myself with the fact that I have used up some more of my cheapo stuff....that is the only consolation I was able to find :/

I don't think I'd risk anything on where my darts landed!

Gillette Super Adjustable on 6, 4, 2 with Personna Medical Prep blade
Tobs Sandalwood cream
Henk walnut silvertip brush
Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balm - cedarwood and clarysage

First try of the medical blades. Very sharp - remind Of of Feathers. Not the smoothest blade. Wonder how many shaves I'll get out of this one

newageshaver said:

Somebody on here posted an Exel Spreadsheet called a Shaving Randomizer, I think, just a couple of weeks ago.

The idea being that you list your Razors, Blades and Sopas/Creams in 3 columns and upon refreshing the sheet, it randomly picks 1 product for each list to use for that shave.

Prep Hot Shower
'34 O/C Aristocrat
Personna Lab (2)
Nanny's French Lavender Soap
Le Tuft Resyke Custom Brush
Speick A/S
Second outing for this blade and same excellent results, keeping to the same set up for a week or so just to find out how these blades last.

Thursday

Taylor of Old Bond Street Jeremyn Street SS/Semogue 610 /Edwin Jagger DE86 with Astra/Weleda Balsam

P1230614.jpg

P1230615.jpg

The Semogue 610 its an outstanding boar brush!The soap its really nice too.Great shave again.

Razor: ikon S3S bamboo
Blade: 7 o'clock yellow (1)
Brush: Le Tuft 'Big Fella'
Soap: Tabac

Great shave. I'm quite pleased with this razor. Nice and heavy. Better than SK9 and H2O for sure.

I've not used 7 o'clock yellows for a while. It's like being reunited with a lost friend! Very predictable blade. Blacks and yellows are my favourite 7 clock's I think :)

This morning:

Prep: steam
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (5)
Soap: Pre de Provence
Brush: Neep #1059 soapstone 26mm super silvertip badger
Balm: Trumper's Skin Food, Coral
Scent: Penhaligon's Endymion
Result: pretty good - completely comfortable, fairly close

Three differences today: shaved before breakfast rather than after; used strictly only two passes rather than my usual 3+ on the neck; and the steam prep.

I was going to spend five minutes with my face over a bowl of just-boiled water and a towel over the lot anyway, and it occurred to me it would probably prep well. No water applied to face directly at all before I started face-lathering, and none the worse. I might do this even when I don't have a chest infection...

Neck shave a little less close - I THINK - for the reduction in passes, but I doubt if anybody else noticed. Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom