SOTD w/c Sat 24th - Fri 30th December

dodgy said:
Francorelli said:
Thursday:

Fatboy (on 7)

After using my trusty Merkur HD while away, it was fun to try the Fatboy again. It seems to give very little feedback, and it's hard to feel if it is actually cutting the stubble. It is cutting though, and very effectively - 2 passes left very smooth results today.

What's doin,

The lack of feedback is one of the things I like most about that razor. For me, not feeling the blade on my face or much vibration from the handle are both pluses. Ideally, shaving mostly by sound is the way to go for the perfect shave.

I'm glad the Fatboy's a good fit for you,

Martin

Greetings Martin

Yes, the lack of feedback feels a bit weird at first when compared to my other DEs, but the Fatboy is certainly an effective tool. I've not opened it up beyond 7 yet, and will try it with some different blades too. I prefer it to the Slim I used to own.

Jos

Friday

Merkur Progress
Gillette Platinum Blade (Swede)
New Forest 2201 Brush
Trumper Sandalwood Shaving Soap
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

Just one pass, as I was a bit late shaving today and one pass should last the day.

Love the Progress.

Ian

EJDE89
Personna
EJ Badger
Palmolive
Ogallala Bay Rum splash followed by cologne

Hadnt shaved my head in a few days so did so today....great stuff....I've experimented with letting my hair grow a couple of days longer than usual and I've come to the conclusion that my regime of not more than 48hrs between head shaves is ideal for me.

No shave today, got a cold...
4mars11-061-468x354.jpg

Razor: R41 with ikon handle
Blade: 7 o'clock Indian black
Brush: le tuft stubby/chubby
Cream: Coates LE

2 passes with the r41 and BBS smooth. Post shave comfort wasn't 100% so still need to master this head.

Dipesh said:

2 passes with the r41 and BBS smooth. Post shave comfort wasn't 100% so still need to master this head.

I've just picked up one from Roefisher on the BST. I'm sort of looking forward to trying it out (with trepidation). It won't be today though as I've got a bit of irritation from a crappy Progress shave yesterday.

Ikon OSS
Polsilver (4)
Simpsons PJ 2 band
MWF (face lathered)
Body Shop Maca Root

Well, the big question is is the OSS all it is cracked up to be?

And the answer is a resounding YES! It's superbly balanced and the head arrangement works really well.

The Polsilver is still going strong too. 4 is normally my limit but I'll see how far I can push this one.

Yellow Jim said:
Dipesh said:

I've just picked up one from Roefisher on the BST. I'm sort of looking forward to trying it out (with trepidation). It won't be today though as I've got a bit of irritation from a crappy Progress shave yesterday.

It's best used with a bit growth I'd say.

I had 2 days of growth and the first swipe of the razor left my skin totally hairless.

Quite a strange feeling.

Friday 30 Dec.

Hot Shower
Pacific Shaving Oil
Elite Shaving 24mm Silver Tip Brush
La Toja Shave Stick on face, a dollop of Musgo Real in he brush
Ever-Ready Streamline SE
Ted Pella PTFE SE Blade
RazoRock Alum
Musgo Real ASB

I absolutely LOVE my Streamline - it shaves closer than any DE I've tried, and I've tried quite a few. I always get BBS with it.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Wilkinson Sword Edge (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation used as shave stick)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Canoe AS (1970s version used as cologne)

Tried another new to me vintage Wilkinson blade and man....very nice! This one's got no writing on the outer wrapper, which I've never seen before.

Got out some old Canoe for a pleasant blast from the past...heh.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Wilkinson Sword Edge gray pack (Small).jpg
    Wilkinson Sword Edge gray pack (Small).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 22
Schick I type injector razor with Gillette blade (presumably the excellent Platinum Plus). St James founders reserve cedarwood and clarysage cream. Witchhazel and boots aftershave balm.
Supremely close if a little burn

Friday:

Fatboy (on 7)
7 o'clock green SS
Neep box wood silvertip
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes cream
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes cologne

Yet another T&H cream from the sample pack. I notice the T&H Limes gets a few negative reviews, but I actually liked the scent. So I splashed on some of the cologne afterwards too. Nice.

Rooney Style 1 Pure
Feather Portable
Astra Green
Monsavon Soap
Bavx Balm
Bavx EDT

Lovely shave very smooth.

The Monsavon was a Secret Santa gift, which I hadn't had before and what a lovely lather. The Feather Portable, also a Secret Santa gift is a lovely razor for me. I was after one a while ago but gave up trying to source one, so you can imagine how pleased I was to receive it. It has a solid feel and fits in my hand just right. Next up in it is a Feather blade.

The Bavx was a gift from SWMBO, and very nice it is too, quite a long lasting scent.

Fab Christmas gifts, boy am I lucky !!!

Back
Top Bottom