SOTD w/c Sat 24th - Fri 30th December

Friday + The last 5 Shaves

Semogue 2011 LE Badger & Boar 2
TI Le Grelot 6/8 With Buckeye Burl Scales
P.160 Tipo Morbido Shaving Soap
Barbershop Bay Rum Aftershave
Bulldog Balm
Bleu De Chanel EDT

I have been away for a few days and it was nice to get back home and give the blade a few badly needed laps on a TI pate A rasoir pasted paddle strop.It definitely helped the edge and I got a great shave but it is still not the mega sharp edge of a freshly honed razor from a pro honer.

Mark

Kron-Vest 14 Jaguar, Joris Thuya Pur Gris Européen, Nanny's RT soft soap, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Czech&Speake vetiver vert EdT

SOTD301211.jpg

Madhighlander99 said:
TI Le Grolet 6/8 With Buckeye Burl Scales
... but it is still not the mega sharp edge of a freshly honed razor from a pro honer.

Those Le Grelots are notoriously tricky to get 'dialled in' ... apparently. That's probably the only thing stopping me chucking money at Martin at Rasur Pur for one of the ivory-handled ones.

Friday, Friday ... A wake up and it's almost the New Year!! What will it bring???
Well be what it will... Had a very nice shave this AM.
Razor: Merkur Futur set on 2
Blade: Bic
Brush: Boar
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Soap: Bits and Pieces from the past week. Very nice lather!
Aftershave: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel.
Really glade I bought the Futur. It's turned out to be a great razor. 2 passes and I had it check because the 3rd felt like there wasn't a blade in the razor! Great shave.

Found a Gillette green and thought i will use that, resulting in the 1st use of Which Hazel in weeks, used it on 1 pass took it out and replaced with a Personna red for the following 2, never will i use any Gillette blades again :mad:.

Merkur 39c
Red Personna 1

DSC02030.jpg

Long time no report.........

I've started straight shaving, I have had 3 shaves with a straight razor but I've (so far) finished each one with a DE razor.

Tonight's shave:-

Shower.

Mitchell's Wool Fat applied with my Edwin Jagger badger brush.

I then used my new Feather Professional Artist's Club RG with a pro-guard blade.
wp3c4a508f_05.jpg

It is the first time I have done a whole shave with a straight razor, and not finish off with a DE.

I managed to give myself two or three nicks, and what I can only describe as a small cut.:-/ I can only put it down to lack of experience and technique rather than any fault with the equipment!:icon_redface:

Rinsed off and then it was a once over with the alum block. Then I applied some Nivea A/S balm.

Looking forward to my next straight shave!;)

@Mattlad

I shaved daily with one of those for a good few months.

Eventually the shaves will be sublime.

Remember

1. the AC has an ideal 'built-in' angle of about 30 degrees if you keep the blade holder flat to your face.
2. slowly and lightly does it.
3. what might have taken two or three passes with a DE will take just one pass with the AC.

Enjoy.

joe mcclaine said:
Madhighlander99 said:
TI Le Grolet 6/8 With Buckeye Burl Scales
... but it is still not the mega sharp edge of a freshly honed razor from a pro honer.

Those Le Grelots are notoriously tricky to get 'dialled in' ... apparently. That's probably the only thing stopping me chucking money at Martin at Rasur Pur for one of the ivory-handled ones.

Hi...I was given one of Martins at rasurpur LE Grelot 6/8 in desert ironwood scales as a Xmas present from my parents.It is a stunning looking razor but I haven't used it yet :blush:I am now obsessed with getting the buckeye burl one back up to a pro edge myself.I have used a crox balsa wood paddle on another razor and the edge was really sharp but the shave itself felt prickly,it felt much smoother tonight with the TI pate.

Vinny: just buy that bloody TI, why don't you? I don't believe that any lump of modern(ish) steel is going to cause much in the way of trouble.

Conversely:

SOTD301211TSR1.jpg

Best badger with a lovely boxwood handle by Neocaligatio; an old razor; Mitchell's Wool Fat; Taylors St James aftershave.

Yeah, that one was a bit of a sod. Shaves sweetly enough for the time being, but high maintenance.

SOTD301211TSR2.jpg

Friday:

My new slant has nipped me once or twice this week (albeit once on the finger!) so it was back to the old standby HD since I needed to look very presentable and non-injured for a work meeting in Dublin.

Penhaligons super badger nickel brush
Truefitt and Hill lavender cream
Merkur 34C HD
Gillette 7 o'clock green SS (2)
Caldey Island lavender aftershave​

Pretty good result. Smooth, and smelling like a June day in the garden.

Merkur 38B
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (1)
Trumper Sandalwood Cream
Kent BK4
Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food
Trumper Sandalwood Cologne

Firstly the blade - much better than I seem to recall the first and only previous time I have used the 7 O'Clock Green. Smooth and sharp.

Secondly - Sandalwood overload. I have to be honest, before I got the DE shaving bug and started to explore traditional shaving products, I didn't really know what Sandalwood smelled like. My first exposure was the TOBS cream, which I picked up cheap from TK Maxx. I quite like it, but the scent certainly has a 'Grandad/Old Man' smell to it. Acceptable enough, but I can't see me getting any more - in fact I'm uncertain I'll ever finish the tub as I have too many others I like more.

The Trumpers version is certainly different. Less Grandad like I'd say, but I'd still associate it with an older man than me (I'm 38). However, I got the odd whiff while at work and it varied - sometimes I'd enjoy the scent, other times I'd associate it with fly spray. Very odd.

joe mcclaine said:
@Mattlad

I shaved daily with one of those for a good few months.

Eventually the shaves will be sublime.

Remember

1. the AC has an ideal 'built-in' angle of about 30 degrees if you keep the blade holder flat to your face.
2. slowly and lightly does it.
3. what might have taken two or three passes with a DE will take just one pass with the AC.

Enjoy.

Cheers for the advice Vinny! I've never done a shave with such a light touch. I'm sure you are right about the number of passes, I think I over did it on the passes. As I said in my original post I picked up a few nicks and cuts but in fairness they were in parts of my face that I have not done with a straight razor of any type before.

I did have a bit of burn after the shave but I think the guards on the razor itself may have contributed a little, as well as making too many passes.

I'll let you know how my next one goes!;)

Back
Top Bottom