SOTD w/c Sat 17Mar - Fri 23Mar

Gillette Aristocrat No. 16 with Rapira Stainless
Shavex cream
Aramis shaving soap
Henk silvertip
Proraso post-shave cream

First time with the Shavex. Hmm, smells like sudocrem. Texture like sudocrem. This stuff is brushless and I would prefer to use a brush - just feels more natural somehow. Applied with fingertips and not keen. Did a full pass with it and while the cushion seemed good, the texture, smell, total lack of lather and the clogging of the blade gap on every stroke means I won't be using this again. Wife-to-be has commandeered already.
Finished the next two passes with Aramis. Love the smell and get a decent lather but it could do with more cushion. Some soreness around the chin at the end of the final pass.
All in all a good shave.

Proraso Pre
Nuage Shaving Oil
Neals Yard Soap (BK2)
DE89 with Astra blade
Bluebeard's Balm
Floris Limes EDT

I have had a tube of Nuage Shaving Oil hanging around for ages and decided to give it a go before deciding whether to keep or discard. It only costs £1 so it was worth a dabble. The shave itself was very good, but the oil left my razor needing a really good clean at the end (soap and toothbrush) and the blade was done for.

As such, I won't be persevering with it - nice results, comfortable shave but too high maintenance.

This evening:

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (6)
Soap: Prof Blighty's peppermint
Brush: Simpson Tulip T2 in two-band Super
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger
Result: outstanding.

Did three passes rather than my usual two and a half - included the upward pass on my cheeks. Interestingly my neck feels a little closer than usual.

Preparation: Nivea sensitive face wash
Cream: Mix of St James of London/Erasmic 'New Improved'
Brush: Edwin Jagger synthetic
Razor: King Of Shaves Azor - metal (older light blue version) with 4 blades.
Post shave balm: Real Shaving Company

Lurking in the kitchen drawer are 6 unused KOS cartridges. So, waste not, want not, I decided to use one of them. The shave was okay, but there was no real enjoyment in it. It was just scrape scrape scrape, rinse and that's it.

It's interesting to compare a cartridge razor against double edge. A cartridge may be okay for when going away for a few days, but not something I would really want to use much again. I'll only use it for two days, then experience the pleasures of a real double edge shave.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson, Cubby 3
Razor: C V Heljestrand, B K 42 + GEM Junior (for head)
Soap: MdC
AS/cologne: Lavanda
Strops: Neil Miller (linen, buffalo + cordovan)
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

Such a nice blade and shave this 1/4 grind gives, two days of stubble gone, like nothing - last I heard they still ran for the hills :)
003800x604.jpg

... and some Sunday morning espresso:
009800x593.jpg

Sunday

Muhle R41
Gillette Platinum (Swede) Blade
Vulfix Piccadilly Brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

The little Vulfix did a nice job of whipping up a nice lather with the MWF.

Ian

I have rather neglected the forum of late.
Partly down to having a chunk of my innards removed, partly down to family, partly down to spending a fair chunk of time Geocaching with the family (which is good, family together time was defo being neglected - if Eastenders was more like real life it would be full of couples on separate laptops occasionally saying "what did you say?".

Anyway - Caravanning season is back upon us with gusto and this means every weekend up at the van when Im not on duty at work.

I have a set I leave at the van and its:

Gillette S1 Black Beauty
Le-Tuft refurb butterscotch brush
Soapy Secrets Orange and Jajoba soap
Gillette 7 O'clock yellows.

Lovely, even with the hard water we seen to have up at the van the lather was excellent the citrus burst welcoming in the morning, the Black Beauty (set to 3) as ever gives a lovely close shave with little pressure needed.

Sunday, 18.III.2012

Vitos Predopobarba
Vulfix TGN Finest
RazoRock XXX
Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley
Wilkinson Économie
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Institut Karité ASB
Acqua Classica Borsari Parma EdC

P1050808.jpg

Sunday

Edwin Jagger DE87 with Gillette 7 o'clock black
Edwin Jagger pure badger
vintage Crabtree & Evelyn pour homme soap
Alum
The Real Shaving Co asb,
Quorum

Today, "herbal" shaving!

Musgo Real shaving cream + Vie&Long Silvertip + Merkur 37C Slant plus Gillette "green" blade + Aubrey Northwoods after shave plus The Real Shaving balm

I love this cream scent, although it's a bit difficult to build a good, thick foam in scuttle. It needs more time and patience than I had this morning. Anyway, the shave was well with little irritation. It's a shame that Musgo Real after shave lotion and colognes don't have the same scent than the shaving cream version, this Aubrey lotion is the closest after shave in terms of scent (more pine, woodly than herbal anyway) I have. And it works decently!

Cheers!

Had man flu all week, so upper lip was rather sore so skipped shaving after Tuesday. Sort of felt ok yesterday so I had three passes, nothing too aggressive, almost able to smell the lemon derby shave cream.

Removing the stubble was awesome.

Anyone else skip shaving for colds and flu?

Sunday:

Proraso pre/post
Professor Blighty's Harlequin soap
Omega silvertip
Aristocrat Junior
Wilkinson Sword (2)
Professor Blighty's Harlequin aftershave

Fantastic shave this morning, really do get on well with the Wilkinson Sword blades. Harlequin products smell great!

Back
Top Bottom