SOTD w/c Sat 14th - Fri 20th incl.

Pre: King of Shaves Oil.
Wilkinson cheapo brush
Palmolive soap
Black Handled Superspeed/Astra (1)
Alum
E45

Smooth as silk, very fine shave. Loving the Astra.

Think I'm getting the hang of building a proper lather, too...

Saturday:

Penhaligons nickel brush
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet hard soap
Merkur 37c slant
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (2)
Penhaligons BB eau de toilette

What a beauty this razor is... didn't like it at all for the fist week or two and now I seem to have got the hang of it. It's a machine. 9 hours later I'm still looking and feeling reasonably clean shaven which is rare for me. I have 5 o'clock shadow by 9am usually.
Rubbish soap though. Had to add in some T+H hard soap half way through the shave, the Penhaligons was fizzling away to nothing. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get this soap to behave... 3 months nearly now and it's still shit. If it wasn't a present from the wife I'd have sold it by now.

This evening:

Prep: none
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (10)
Cream: Truefitt and Hill #10
Brush: Neep #955 soapstone silvertip badger
Balm: none

As an experiment, tried a prep-free shave. I'd had a shower about three hours earlier. No water applied to the face at all, straight to face-lathering the cream (which is mostly gone - I've gone through it very quickly, for some reason). Not as slick as usual, no doubt sure to the dry skin and beard, and I needed to use my technique - more skin stretching and careful control to stop shipping or digging in - but a first-class, damage-free result. I think, though, that on this evidence it's worth 60 seconds to wash and rinse while the brush soaks - but id it were somehow forbidden it wouldn't ruin my life :).

Prep: Hot Shower (including use of T&H Limes Soap)
Razor:Merkur 38B
Blade:Astra Blue (3)
Cream:GFT Rose
Brush:Vie Long Horse Hair
Balm:GFT Lime Skin Food
EDT:GFT Eau de Cologne

This will be the penultimate time I use a Rose scented cream in all likelihood, there is enough for one last shave from the sample pot, but frankly I don't like it. I don't wish to come over all tough guy, but it's not masculine enough for my tastes.

Also can't see myself ever using the GFT Eau de Cologne for several more years, far too 'old man' scent for me. Sometimes, aged 38, I do feel like an old fart, but no real need to smell like a Grandad just yet.

Prep: Hot Shower (including use of T&H Limes Soap)
Razor:Merkur 38B
Blade:Astra Blue (3)
Cream:GFT Rose
Brush:Vie Long Horse Hair
Balm:GFT Lime Skin Food
EDT:GFT Eau de Cologne

This will be the penultimate time I use a Rose scented cream in all likelihood, there is enough for one last shave from the sample pot, but frankly I don't like it. I don't wish to come over all tough guy, but it's not masculine enough for my tastes.

Also can't see myself ever using the GFT Eau de Cologne for several more years, far too 'old man' scent for me. Sometimes, aged 38, I do feel like an old fart, but no real need to smell like a Grandad just yet.

1) Ever Ready Streamline, GEM blade.
2) Omega Brush.
3) Prof B Blueberry glycerine soap followed by ;
4) Prof B Blueberry scented balsaam.
No splash today as it's freezing out & I now have to go out to scrape the car clear to travel up to Glasgow.

Don't usually post on this thread, however I was thinking of all the TSR members around the countries & counties enjoying what may once have been an unwelcome chore and felt like wishing one and all a heartfelt "GoodMorning".

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

SOTD 15.01.12

Morning Chaps

proraso pre and post
palmolive stick
shavemac d01
gillette alu tech + med prep (2)
witch hazel then floid suave
blenheim bouquet edt

niiiiice

im lovin the palmolive stick, cheap as chips and a great performer

Sunday

Merkur Progress
Astra Superior Platinum Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Valobra Menthol Shaving Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

2 slices of Valobra, one of Original and one of Menthol, arrived courtesy of Hax, yesterday.

I quite like the menthol. It's cooling, but not insanely so and smells lightly of lemon. The scent reminded me a little of the Ingram cream.

Very nice.

Ian

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Shavemac 30 mm two band D01
Razor: Dorko
Soap: MWF
AS: Floid, Blue Italian
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Love da Fat, really, it's so nice!
013800x559.jpg

Saturday

Razor: Kropp + Feather all stainless
DE blade: 7 o'clock black Indian
Brush: Semogue LE 11 Size 1 bristle

Overall a nice shave. I did 2 wtg passes with the kropp and finished up with the DE. The idea is to take it slowly so I'll keep on doing this until I have the wtg pass mastered. It was quite hard to get through the chin area with the straight.

The feather finished it off perfectly.

Sunday

Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: 7 o'clock black (2)
Brush: as above

Another great shave. I decided not to go with the straight today as I needed I be tidy for tomorrow. I thought there wasn't enough hair. In hindsight, I should have used the straight in the same manor as yesterday.

Great shave again, futur never fails!

Sunday

white proraso pre post
neo custom 2 band
MdC
EJ Bull Mastiff + 7 oclock yellow (2)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3 passes, a very nice shave. Lather from the MdC is just excellent ( and I am not just saying that cause it costs a bloody fortune!).

Wizamet W11 on 6, 4, 2 with wizamet Polsilver
Trumpers Limes cream
Henk walnut silvertip brush
Tobs shaving shop aftershave balm.

Continuing with the wizamet razor what better blade to match with it than their very own polsilver? I also used my lime cream as it's been a few months now. I was alarmed to see some black mildew on the inside of the lid but the cream itself was ok so cleaned it off and dried it thoroughly.
The shave was very good again. This razor is a good performer and the polsilver would probably work sandwiched between two slices of cardboard

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Wilkinson Super Sword (NOS)
Tryphon Bay Rhum SS
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
St Johns Bay Rum cologne

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday

Hot shower
Proraso pre/post
Muhle R41
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow (4)
MWF
Alum
Nivea ASB
Pinaud Vanilla splash

Decent WTGx2, XTG shave this morning, the blade was starting to tug a bit during the shave. Resulted in a little bit of burn under my chin, nothing too major though. Thoroughly enjoyed using the R41. Change of direction next week, think I'm going to use my 1954 Z1 40s style Superspeed.

Sunday:

Fatboy
Feather
Neep box wood silvertip
Nanny's French Lavender hard soap
Acqua di Parma colonia

A final shave from the pass-around Fatboy before it travels to pastures new. And it sure went out in style - cranked up to 9 with a new Feather, it utterly demolished two days worth of stubble.

Best shave yet with this razor - farewell my portly friend :icon_biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom