SOTD w/c Sat 14th - Fri 20th incl.

Good morning.

Muehle R101 (2011) & Dorco ST-300 Platinum (#2)
Semogue 2011 LE boar 2
Palmolive stick
Mennen Skin Bracer after shave
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream
Amouage Opus III

photo-62.jpg

:angel:

Have a great weekend, gents.

L'Occitane Bavx soap
Feather AS - D1
Feather Blade
Simpsons Chubby 1 in super
Vulfix Persian Musk
Alum + Witch Hazel
Botanics Moisturiser SPF 15
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
L'Occitane Cedre L'Atlas Eau de parfum

Jamie.

A lovely shave perfect, two pass no touch up BBS.

001-4.jpg

Saturday

Merkur Progress
Feather/Astra SP Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Tabac Shaving Soap
Aqua Velva A/S

I think this is only the second time that I've had to change a blade mid-shave. After the first pass the Feather (on it's 3rd shave) gave up the ghost.

Still a nice shave, though.

Ian

N_Architect said:
Good morning.

Muehle R101 (2011) & Dorco ST-300 Platinum (#2)
Semogue 2011 LE boar 2
Palmolive stick
Mennen Skin Bracer after shave
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream
Amouage Opus III

photo-62.jpg

:angel:

Have a great weekend, gents.
Wow, how do you fit Dorcos that big into your razor?
:)

Wizamet W11 with Gillette Super Thin stainless (second shave)
TOBS Sandalwood (should have been Shaving Shop) cream
Boots Freshwood a/s balm

A nice shave starting on 7, then 5, then 3 for touch ups. I've probably only used this razor five or six times but I'm trying to spend less and get to know my own tools a bit better. Got a very nice shave with this combo and this is the first shave with the W11 which has ever stood out. I think I'll use it some more.

NotTheStig said:
Wow, how do you fit Dorcos that big into your razor? :)

They fit one after each other after the previous one has been used for a couple of shaves... Misleading that large 100-blade set isn't it?
Incidentally the Dorcos were roughly 5.50-6.00 quid for that pack of 100...

photo-66.jpg

(item on the right is today's grand acquisition - I read the SOTD too often and especially posts by fellow members named 'Fido' and 'joe mcclaine'; too bad influence these guys I have to say)
:p

Actually the Hydro 5 was discussed y'day over at the Greek forum, so having already been motivated by our Vinny here, I set out to get it today and give it a go (sometime in the future...)

N_Architect said:
NotTheStig said:
Wow, how do you fit Dorcos that big into your razor? :)

They fit one after each other after the previous one has been used for a couple of shaves... Misleading that large 100-blade set isn't it?
Incidentally the Dorcos were roughly 5.50-6.00 quid for that pack of 100...

(item on the right is today's grand acquisition - I read the SOTD too often and especially posts by fellow members named 'Fido' and 'joe mcclaine'; too bad influence these guys I have to say)
:p

Actually the Hydro 5 was discussed y'day over at the Greek forum, so having already been motivated by our Vinny here, I set out to get it today and give it a go (sometime in the future...)
That is a very good price. Unfortunately I can't get on with the ST-300 Dorcos, too blunt and draggy for me. The ST-301s are much better. I do like the giant box though. Almost tempted to get some just for the empty box - how sad is that?!

Prep; Hot shower + Proraso for head
Brush: Le Tuft, horn, abalone and Simpson knot
Razors: C V Heljestrand B K 42 + GEM Junior
Soap: Martin de Candre
AS: Ogallala, Limes and Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Fantastic shave allover, the Gem's perfect for the head and the blades it takes are perfect on the second shave (like this time), for me. The Helje's such a sweet blade too and so nice scales too :D
004800x526.jpg

Saturday, a time to take some time over the shave without clock watching.

Hot shower
Proraso pre/post
Votos Coconut
Muhle R41
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (3)
Alum
Witch Hazel
T&H Trafalgar aftershave splash

3rd shave with the R41 and I have to say I love it. The shave today was a 3 pass WTGx2, XTG. The result was a BBS shave, no irritation, great stuff.

I was going to try to stick to the same soap/cream whilst getting to grips with this razor. However since I seem to get consistently good lather no matter what I use I've carried on rotating as usual.

Saturday

Merkur 34c
Shark SS
Cella
Semogue 2015

Chanel Egoiste AS
Chanel Egoiste EDT

Excellent. Chanel AS never fails to surprise me. The ones I have tried all have the same effect (diffrernt scents though) and leave the face feeling great.

Bit on the pricey side but a good treat once or twice a week.

DSC02076.jpg

Had time to mess around so mixed some Cella and Palmolive resulting in a very strange smelling cream but smooth as silk on my skin.

The Hydro leaves some serious slime on your skin so when you are having a feel to see how it has done you get a false impression of smoothness, then when you eventually rinse it off (that's a task) you notice (on me anyway) that its left a bit of stubble on the jaw line and neck area also the sides of my mouth.

So out with the Gillette slim on 7 and that finished me off very nicely indeed :icon_biggrin:, lovely bbs and Zero irritation.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro
Cella
Palmolive Original cream
Red Personna (1)
Parker Black Badger
Gillette Slim on 7
Prof Blightys Coconut Alcohol free After shave.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Savile Row 204
1958 Executive/Derby
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Paloma Picasso 'Minotaure' EdT used as aftershave

Today was Derby day, and I got out my control razor and soap. Even gave myself an extra 30 seconds more of the hot towel just for the hell of it. Probably the last time I used the Derby was over four years ago when starting out, so it was basically a new to me blade this morning.

Well, I was skeptical to be sure, but I know some members really like em so my mind certainly wasn't made up in advance. Lathered up and took the first downward WTG stroke on my neck. Then another, both of em being ok. Not quite the right fit, but not anything awful. Felt like a medium sharp blade, nothing more and nothing less.

Did a couple more downward neck strokes and flipped sides of the razor to continue. Didn't feel quite as good as before, but I figured it was just me somehow. Well, that wasn't the case here.

Yep, got a dud blade right from the get go......heh. One side is definitely smoother than the other. I realised for sure the blade was screwed up early into the shave, and it was confirmed when I switched the blade around in the razor and just the one side was ok.

The tragic side was pretty darn rough. Lots of pulling and the tendency to try and chatter on my face. Man, the two sides were a world apart.

Finished the shave using just the one good side, and it wasn't bad at all. I can't ever recall having a blade perform like this one did....real schizophrenic case here.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Savile Row 004 (Small).jpg
    Savile Row 004 (Small).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom