SOTD: Saturday April 1 - Friday 7 April 2023.

SOTD: 1st April 2023.

1.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort Body + Face Wash.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
Brush: Wilkinson Sword synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl : Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: Eco Warrior Bergamot & Lime shaving bar.
Frankenrazor: Muhle R41 bottom plate with Yaqi Mellon top cap + Schmidt R10 Handle. - Statum Platinum Chrome. (D1)

Cold water face & head wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Alum Rub. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./ Cien Men Aqua ASL + Sensitive ASB.

(Face Head/Dome shave)

(German DE razor focus)

A new shave set up to start the weekend.. maiden shave with the new Wilkinson Sword Synthetic brush my second shaving related purchase of 2023, my first was the batch of Statum Platinum Chrome blades in February and before the paranoid over-zealous ban on DE blades from eBay sellers. I gave it a quick wash & rinse in washing up liquid, rinsed it in warm water, then a wash with Dettol anti bacterial soap to remove any nasties ,then a final rinse to remove any loose fibres...I love the stubby design of the WS handle the cloud soft synthetic knot doesn't have a great deal of backbone, but it gets the job done with acceptable results and dries in a short space of time ready for use. This will make a great travel brush.

For the next month and beyond I'll be using my German made razors, along with my new recently tried Muhle R41 Frankenrazor & randomly adding my adjustable DE razors as a "Adjustable April" theme pairing them together with various DE blades from my vast collection. Starting with the Statum Platinum Chrome which i find equal with the Treet 7-Day platinum...Both blades are incredibly smooth & efficient enough to give me 2-3 (max) comfortable error free shaves.

Out of curiosity i done a combined face head/dome shave with the Frankenrazor which was a total success. I think the hefty weight of the Schmidt R10 handle could be the reason to why the Frankenrazor works rather than the Yaqi Mellon top cap?.. I will do a comparison shave during the week using the original Muhle top cap & the Schmidt R10 handle to see the difference in the shave performance.

Another close comfortable face and head shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Cien Men Sensitive ASB.

My face & precious swede are feeling super smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy the start of the weekend ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Last edited:
Sat 1st
Soap & Aftershave Barrister & Mann The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Titan ACRM-2 Madagascan Mahogany Timber Scales
Rich, creamy, and slick lather from this soap. The scent is usually strong but my olfactory sense is 100% muted...dang!
This razor with an initial cnat edge was put through the HBA and the roo leather. The shave was at an acceptable level of smoothness and comfort but I prefer a crispier keener edge. Will continue to work on the edge with the HBA without going through the diamond balsa. The result for today's shave was dfs-sas...
20230401_122802.jpg

20230331_173059.jpg

Difficult start to the day. I need to shave this morning and there are no blades! My mistake, or a "prank"?

Anyway, everyone else is asleep so I can't find out.

Luckily I keep my SAKs razor sharp. Made sure to ise plenty of preshave oil and prep. The angles were odd, but it worked!

Not BBS, but not bad...

Have a great weekend!

Today's shave:

rdt230401qsc13.jpg

- B&M Soapmakers Of Awesometown
- Yaqi "Purple Haze" Synthetic
- Mühle CC with Tibam handle and ASP blade
- Rose of Bulgaria aftershave

Very mild shave. :D

01/04/23
Str8 Shave Saturday
Pre - Pears Transparent Original
Brush - Zenith 506 Copper 28mm Faux Pony
Soap - OSP Spice Road
Razor - Heinr. Böker "Piccadilly" 7/8
Edge - @Tony'schin
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Proraso Red
A/S - OSP Spice Road
Wk 14 (1).JPG
2 passes with some touch up, a matching post shave routine for a very nice bit of sink time.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
SOTD 01-Apr
20230401_095819 (2).jpg
Brush: Highlander M7 Style
Soap: A&E The Novelist
Razor: Koraat 6/8

Excellent shave this morning, again fresh edge from JJShave and very good. Seemingly it was high time it was done properly! I get the feeling that I'm moving away from the wedge/near wedge blades...oh no I can see a visit to the configurator coming on!

Now the brush, phwoar, this handle is top notch. Bigger than the standard M7 so obviously heavier and fits my hand like a glove. This will not be my only Highlander brush, assuming Gile doesn't mind that is.

The knot is good, very dense and look at that bloom! Setting is spot on, you do almost have to tickle the soap rather than mash otherwise it disappears into the void, this isn't my first rodeo with a boti knot though.

Thank you @gile !

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Saturday 1st April
Now for something completely different from the Schicks of last week.
I picked up this Kempfe KSR on the bay, it was very cheap but the observant among you will spot the handle isn’t original but looks like a vintage Ever Ready chain link. A past owner changed it possibly because the thread in the razor head failed, so they went to a handle with a slightly larger diameter thread which this handle has. It works fine. I fitted a modded GEM SE with 3D plastic wedge, installation required operating the small screws which secure the blade. Care is needed with this as after 100 years the screws can seize and can easily twist off. After liberal soaking in WD40 and oil I used a pocket watch winding key No. 7 which is perfect fit and doesn´t over stress the screws. Job done.
I was a bit concerned about the blade setting as there are no blade stops on these early Kempfe bad boys. However, I soaped up with Tobs sandalwood applied with super plush Crabtree and Evelyn badger and got to work. Not much pressure is required wtg and the GEM removed stubble with ease. Atg the blade started tugging especially around the curves of the chin. Angle of attack is critical with these razors and more difficult to get consistent moving around the chin plus the GEM blade isn’t as stiff as the steel wedge blades originally intended for these razors and does flex a little in use despite the addition of a plastic wedge.
No blood was shed today, thanks for asking.
My overall rating for the shave is very acceptable and dfs.
Soap 5/5
Brush 5/5
Razor
Ease of use 5/5
Wtg 5/5
Atg 3/5 (maybe due to blade flexing?)
Sense of achievement 10/10 and one big smug :)

Have a great weekend fellas!

E278EF95-8222-4668-ADF5-1421322B13CA.jpeg

6037E359-1910-4785-B43B-27730C61B029.jpeg

PXL_20230401_101138424~2.jpg
April 1st 2023 SOTD

Razor - Tatara Muramasa - 3
Blade - Brazilian Wilkinson Sword
Soap - Castle Forbes's - Lime - Sample
Brush - Boti badger, silvertip
Bowl - Capitans Choice - Copper
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - Taylor of Old Bond St - Number 74 Victorian lime

A lovely smooth shave was had with this razor and blade Combo, the razor is perfectly balanced and the build quality is top notch!
The soap sample and blade were kindly given to me by @Mike Smart , cheers Mike, a lovely soap and blade.
Perfectly smooth skin and smelling great!
Have a great weekend chaps,

Until the next time,

Paul.PXL_20230401_103622987.jpg

Last edited:
SOTD 01-Apr
View attachment 103313
Brush: Highlander M7 Style
Soap: A&E The Novelist
Razor: Koraat 6/8

Excellent shave this morning, again fresh edge from JJShave and very good. Seemingly it was high time it was done properly! I get the feeling that I'm moving away from the wedge/near wedge blades...oh no I can see a visit to the configurator coming on!

Now the brush, phwoar, this handle is top notch. Bigger than the standard M7 so obviously heavier and fits my hand like a glove. This will not be my only Highlander brush, assuming Gile doesn't mind that is.

The knot is good, very dense and look at that bloom! Setting is spot on, you do almost have to tickle the soap rather than mash otherwise it disappears into the void, this isn't my first rodeo with a boti knot though.

Thank you @gile !

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc
You're welcome Marc. This kind of feedback is main reason I'm into this hobby. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom