SOTD: Saturday 7th March to Friday 13th March 2020.

Weds, 11 March

My usual workday shave

PreShave: Hot water from kettle mixed with cold from tap
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled T&H cream bowl
Razor: The Sledgehammer (Merkur 39C)
Blade Astra Platinum (5)
Post Shave: Alum
Fragrance: none--workday

The blade lasts me all week--I'm certain I could get more than 7 shaves from these Astras, but I change them up for Saturday.

Have a good remainder of the week, folks.

11/03/2020
WILLIAMS WEDNESDAY
Pre: Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush: Jayaruh #355 Maggards Knot
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
Razor: Ever Ready 1912 Bathroom set , for the 1951 Festival of Britain
Blade: GEM PTFE S/S (3)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Williams Aqua Velva Musk

View attachment 52320
I store this razor in the metal case so i am not wearing out the cardboard box and plastic holder.

View attachment 52321
She is on her 7th outing since leaving the Factory.
Another nice 2 pass shave with this old girl. A nice face Lather from the Jayaruh #355 and the Williams.
Finishing off with a Barts Balm face Massage and a splash of Williams Aqua Velva Musk, Very nice.
Enjoy your Day All
Hi Tony
I have one of those, the Razor is in fact a Peerless incorrectly packaged. I Shaved today with a Razor from a Bathroom set,they have a round handle- see photo. Both sets issued for Festival of Britain.
Mike B

1B53AE83-1186-427D-886B-B2825625BEAB.jpeg

Hi Tony
I have one of those, the Razor is in fact a Peerless incorrectly packaged. I Shaved today with a Razor from a Bathroom set,they have a round handle- see photo. Both sets issued for Festival of Britain.
Mike B

View attachment 52322
Hmmm not sure as the graphics in the bathroom set box shows a hex handle so it is correctly packaged.
The round handle version is packaged differently.
I had to check in case I had mixed up razors.20200311_133814.jpg

20200311_133825.jpg

20200311_133926.jpg

Both NOS and unopened when I got them.
How peculiar!

Wednesday AM 2020-03-11

Rooney 3/3 Ivory Finest (26/60)
Floris Santal shaving cream (vintage)
Paradigm 17-4/Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff
Personna Super Platinum Chrome (3)
Floris Santal aftershave
AridinG.jpg

11/3/2020

Brush - Omega 10075
Soap - Vitos Red
Razor - Lord L6
Blade - Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum India (26)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum Mentholated

First time I've used Vitos Red for back to back shaves in ages and I completely forgot how superb a soap it is not just for the lather but the post shave is genuinely the best I have come across.

Impressed with the blade's durability, not great for smoothness right now - about the same as a Shark SS so it's still just about usable.

View attachment 52294

Sotd - today - Tuesday the 10th of March -

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Muhle R41 - on a ES s/s handle
blade - Wilkinson Sword (1)
soap - MT - Mint Ice Menthol paste - vegan
brush - Semogue - Owner's Club - LE 2012 - mixed badger/boar
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol - Formula K
balm - Proraso Green.

Result - F**k me - that was good.

Most of you reading this will know that the Muhle R41 enjoys a certain reputation among shavers - I'd only ever tried it once before - about ten or so years ago - when - frankly - I was a bit shite at shaving myself - with predictable results - at least I learned that I wasn't haemophiliac. Recently thought to ask my mate for a lend of his - revisit the razor - thinking that I now will pick up a Streamline or Cobra Classic without worrying about the outcome. He brought it round - I didn't fancy the stock handle - so swapped it for the Executive Shaving stainless steel - incidentally a Rockwell handle doesn't fit - the thread isn't deep enough. So - set about the shave - after the first stroke - you realise - this razor is different - absolute total concentration required at all times - all the stuff you were taught as a novice - but kind of forgot about - the lightest of touches - attention to angle - take your time - do not let your mind drift. I found an ever-present sense of foreboding using it - like when the shark starts playing the cello in 'Jaws' - something could go very badly wrong here - thankfully - at the risk of overdoing the analogy - I was Chief Brody - not Quint. What a shave - one pass - a tidy up of the problem spots - that was all that was required. End of. Wow. Normally two passes get me to where I want - although a single pass is - wtg down to my jawline and atg up to the jaw - and then reversed for the second - weird - I know - but no other method works as well for me. Suits my beard growth. Would I use a R41 every shave - no - I prefer to be more relaxed - will I get one - yes - never used anything like it. Finally - first use of my new Semogue 2012 mixed knot picked up from @Blademonkey - initial impressions are very good - the best of both worlds - nice soft tips and all the backbone you want for face lathering - lovely handle too - I look forward to using it more - suspect it will be ideal with hard soaps - enjoy your shaves - yours - I.
Indeed, Iain. Ye R41 isn't in my daily driver catalogue; but if I want something that will pour scorn, ridicule and haughty derision on my bristles from a staggering height, this is the fellow. @RussellR5555 sold me an R41 head a whiles back; and it crowns an iKon stainless steel handle most effectively. The combo results in a very assertive piece of cutlery; one that scares the other razors in my assemblage (I swear I hear them crying during the small hours; although my Streamline sometimes stands up for itself...).

Hmmm not sure as the graphics in the bathroom set box shows a hex handle so it is correctly packaged.
The round handle version is packaged differently.
I had to check in case I had mixed up razors.View attachment 52323

View attachment 52324

View attachment 52325

Both NOS and unopened when I got them.
How peculiar!
Hi Tony,
See that you subscribe to TOST. There are lots info/photos of the Bathroom an d Peerless sets in the ER Section of that Forum, I still think there was some packing of Razors in the wrong boxes. Irrespective of that they both are great Razors with a modern blade, though I prefer the round handle to the hexagon one.
Mike B

Last edited:
Wed 11th March

The Grosvenor ( 404 mixed
Williams Mug soap
ER 1912- Bathroom set
Gem S/S ( 5 )
Williams Aqua Velva A/S lotion

An excellent relaxed Shave with my favourite 1912, as it works so well with a modern Gem blade. So smooth and comfortable, and without any problems delivers a close all round finish. Still can find minty sets of these Razors from the 50s.
9FDC78A9-B34D-432F-B3AD-6AFE7AE7B992.jpeg

Hi Tony,
See that you subscribe to TOST. There are lots info/photos of the Bathroom an d Peerless sets in the ER Section of that Forum, I still think there was some packing of Razors in the wrong boxes. Irrespective of that they both are great Razors with a modern blade, though I prefer the round handle to the hexagon one.
Mike B
After looking on TOST I have trolled through my purchases and found the original Photos etc from April 2019

IT WAS ME!!
I must have put the razors in the wrong box, maybe guided by the graphics.
So, i think i have a Deluxe Peerless in the Blue lidded box and a round handled bathroom set without a lid.
I stand to be corrected.
Thanks for the Info @mpf9ret

IMG_20200311_192246.jpgHead shave
Pre:
Proraso Green
Cream: Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe
Brush: Proraso (Omega) Boar
Razor: Razorock SLOC ( just arrived today from Connaught Shaving).
Blade: Personna Med Prep, 2nd use.
Nivea Sensitive Cool Balm
Mk.1 Eau de Parfum from Pocket
Scents (V&R Spicebomb clone).

2 passes, XTG + ATG, + buffing.
This is the first time I've posted on SOTD, but I was so impressed with this combination that I had to!
Heid like a billiard ba' !
Absolutely perfect - no pulling, scratching, nicks, weepers or irritation. That's a first for me.

After looking on TOST I have trolled through my purchases and found the original Photos etc from April 2019

IT WAS ME!!
I must have put the razors in the wrong box, maybe guided by the graphics.
So, i think i have a Deluxe Peerless in the Blue lidded box and a round handled bathroom set without a lid.
I stand to be corrected.
Thanks for the Info @mpf9ret
Tony,
I still think that they actually packed and sold the Peerless Razor in a box for the Bathroom set. Confusing for us all,I have got one too.
Mike B

Back
Top Bottom