SOTD Saturday 3rd October to Friday 9th October 2015

After an extended session in the gym (avoiding a gaggle of women congregated in my Living Room :eek: )
Shower
Arko Stick
Custom 24mm Synthetic
iKon OC DLC
Lada [1]
Proraso Green AS
Boss Different
Cracking shave, makes a nice change from the Injectors I've been using for the past couple of weeks... Very similar results..

SOTD - Tuesday, Day-6 Tabac-tober/OC-tober
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Shannon's "Silk Pajamas"
Brush: Thäter 4125/1 24mm 2-band fan
Razor: Rhodium 1930's Gillette NEW long-comb, bar handle
Blade: Gillette "Spoiler" (3)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Alt Innsbruck & Village Barber balm

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso - Sandalwood
Soap: Crabtree & Evelyn - Nomad cream
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Brush: Muhle Travel synthetic
Razor: ATT R2 + Kronos handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish SS (1)
After: WH, Fine Clean Vetiver AS, C&E Sandalwood

Thought I'd try out my travel brush today in practice for going on holiday. It's ok but is a bit too springy, good enough for holidays though especially as it's so compact and light. The brush clamp has no issues holding it whereas my usual brush holder wouldn't have a chance; it's irrelevant anyway as I wouldn't take my brush holder on holiday.
The Crabtree & Evelyn balm has got to be my favourite ASB, it's on the thick side so great during winter.
I bought a sample of Fine Clean Vetiver AS and a full bottle of Fine Fresh Vetiver AS because I didn't know which one I'd prefer. The Clean Vetiver is definitely the winner for me - great stuff.

Enjoy your day, folks.

89c05a1c-2069-4821-ad1e-89691c6a5ddd_zpsgrbdjzdx.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings

Tuesday 7th October 2015
Prep: Shower
Razor: Star Featherweight
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue OC SE 2012 Mixed
Soap: Culmark (Vintage)
Aftershave: Real Shaving Company Balm
EDT: CK Obsession for Men

Regards
Dick.

DSC06285.JPG

Tabac Tuesday

Tabac soap (natch)
Switchback 400 synthetic brush
Swing head on chinese handle
Sputnik (2)

Nice shave, the Swing pairs beautifully with the Sputnik. This is my main goal for now, find the best blade to pair with a particular razor, so far I've got:

Swing and Sputnik
Standard and GSB
Hoffritz and Rapira Swede
RiMei and Polsilver SI

IMG_1934.jpg

Bulldog Face Wash
Ever Ready Shaving Stick w/Ever Ready No.1 (Bristle)
Ever Ready 1912 & GEM Stainless (5)
Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Aftershave Cologne
Egyptian Majmua

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & WTG (Slide)

Today was a really proud day for me ...

I picked up an Ever Ready 'Service Set' which appeared to be unused. Upon arrival, it was clearly unused. Boxed, plastic wrap, sealed blades, brand new shaving soap, unused brush and unused razor. What a score! I have had razors which I thought might be unused, but this really was an actual, bona fide brand new razor.

The brush was just a little dry with ends cracking off upon touch, something I thought disappointing and left it be for a few days. Yesterday, I pulled it from its retaining strap with a view to cutting off the knot in readiness for re-knotting, but decided to let it soak for a few minutes and give it a damn good lathering with a favourite soap just to see if it picked up, or whether it just turned into a stump of snapped bristle. I am so glad I did because there was only a small amount that cracked off and only a couple of hairs which fell out and the brush was a lovely, perfectly shave-ready, soft, vintage boar.

The soap looked good. It was dry, but I knew it would be good to use. It had a smell much like my vintage Rolls Razor soap - clean, fresh; fresher than the Rolls soap, like freshly washed cotton sheets in the breeze. I know that phrase is used a lot when it comes to clean, fresh smelling soap, but it really is apt: no soapy aroma, just clean and fresh.

Ready to shave ...

Washed, soap applied, lathering was an absolute dream. Immediate, I think it the word. Immediate, thick and shiny. Very classy lather indeed. But wait, there's something more ... more than clean and fresh, there's a gentle cooling. I'm loathed to say mentholated, because it's not, it's just a gentle cooling. That'll be the breeze in the sheets, then. Brand new razor at the ready, I started, and had a wonderful shave seeing out the blade.

Rinsed, what better than Pinaud Lilac Vegetal? Well, I did go one better ... vintage Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. Oh, what a scent! Compared to the modern splash, it is chalk and cheese; vintage is all floral with a strong, stem green like the crunch from snapping daffodil stems. An absolute joy!

Where now? What scent for the day?

I have a burgeoning interest in middle-eastern perfumes: attars and mukhallats. I have a fledgling collection going and one which arrived just yesterday is an Egyptian Majmua.

Majmua is a blend (mukhallat?) or kadam flower, described as "reminiscent of both neroli and champaca"; kewda flower, "a smooth, refreshing balsamic scent; floral but not too sweet, with hints of hyacinth and honey"; mitti, (literally) an essence of baked earth in sandalwood oil; ruh khus, "green and sweet, with a woodsy, smoky aroma and a hint of mint". That green, sweet and fresh (not) mintiness along with the florals follows on from Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and the Ever Ready soap just perfectly, still present for some time while the wood and smoke builds.

Memorable.

New month so rang the changes:

Institut Karite Lavender hand soap
Simpson Ehsan
ToBS Lavender Cream
Aristocrat Jr
Astra SP (OK, somethings rarely change)
Aqua Velva AS
Nivea Sensitive PSB

First go with the new 'A Jr' (very good as expected) and ToBS. Cream performed well, but is it as good as CF Lavender? Probably not scent-wise, but it is more vivdly coloured!!!

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Soap: Le Pere Lucien Unscented
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Razor: Mongoose + Dr Bomber Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (6)
Post Shave: Floid, Mentolado Vigoroso.

This morning I added a small drop of peppermint essential oil to the unscented LPL and it gave the lather a wonderful lift.
Best shave yet with the Mongoose.

First time I've posted on SotD for a while...

Pre: Hot shower, Mont de Michel Savon Cologne
Prep: Cold water splash
Brush: Neep "Son & Heir" Box Wood
Cream: Arko Extra Fresh
Razor: Ever Ready Streamline
Blade: Gem PTFE #5
ASL: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue ASL
ASB: Institut Karité Moisturizing ASB
Fragrance: Floris Palm Springs for Spencer Hart

Conclusion: A fine team all round. I really think the Arko cream is one of the best out there. And pennies if you pick it up in Turkey. Enjoying very much the Streamline - close, smooth and very comfortable. Using the brush the Rod Neep made for me when my son was born just under two years ago. All in all it would be hard improve. Oh, and I'm off to see Fiji v Uruguay this morning for the third of my three RWC games. I'll be rooting for the Uruguayans I think.
Have a good day everyone

Jon

Tuesday 6 October 2015

214537d1444137472-sun-october-04th-sat-october-10th-sotd-06102015.jpg

Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, De Vergulde Hand and Floïd

Yet another good shave. I already mentioned how good Mastro Livi Grifetto 60 is - as well as regular Grifetto - but whenever I use Floïd it always adds an extra luxury touch to my shave. This time I used the Dutch De Vergulde Hand, a soap I like although it sometimes seems to dry the skin too much. A generous pass of alum block, then argan oil, and the skin is ready to receive the pleasing and refreshing touch of Floïd The Genuine aftershave. And I am ready to start a new day.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: De Vergulde Hand
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

Back
Top Bottom