SOTD : Saturday 3rd April to Friday 9th April 2021.

Tuesday AM 2021-04-06
Tsar Peter the Great ended the tax on men with beards in Russia on this date, 1772
brBbxFL.jpg

Rooney 3/1 Ivory Finest (22/50)
Soap Commander Love (True Rose) shaving soap
LASSC BBS-1/UFO Titan Fine
Wilkinson Sword 'New' (7)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna aftershave (vintage)
E3GsVTV.jpg

Tuesday 6th April

ACtC-3cqVs8FDQUWM1811jOt9SYI8itAn41KdWskJZ6cHGiCpmSELOJH7yy9qPLN5fJkOObqMmibHwzEvX_K7xE5NP29mKC1JQxHyh64ZBUTyAkZE473EpHGIOd7yYQuyeX5X56BDtv_jiKT7GKwXO3w8QuDeA=w1200

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Wickham 1902 Garden Mint
Haryali Rosewood w/Blonde Boar 22mm
Yaqi Katana DLC w/Star Bakelite Handle
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (1) Made in India
Rose of Bulgaria

I have a little confession to make ...

I snapped both the Indian and the Chinese versions of these Gillette WIlkinson Sword blades and loaded them into their respective razors: Indian in the DLC and Chinese in the chome. I meant to start with the Indian, but shaved with the chrome one last night and then got confused and doubted which blade I put into which razor.

Looking at what is left in the respective sleeves, I can see a material difference between the MII and the MIC blades (the logo on the Indian is thicker) and so until after tonight's shave, I was actually blind as to which blade was in which razor. I've since had a look and now I know.

Comparisons between these two blades always seem to go down the line of one is sharper, one is smoother, by which I guess folks could also mean one is not as sharp as the other and one is not as smooth as the other. They're right! One is sharper, not as smooth; one is smooth, not as sharp as the other. I find the Indian smoother and the Chinese sharper. Moreover, I know which I prefer, but here's the kicker: I don't really like either.

I am going to run them through for a second shave on each, being in the single edge format should take me to the 2nd or 3rd, perhaps 4th shave in double edge format. For now, I find both to be preferable to the Russian Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green) and neither to be up to the Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green). The Indian GWS while certainly smooth feels like one of the more dull SuperMax blades, say the new epoch Titanium, just not as super-forgiving. The Chinese GWS which certainly sharper did not necessarily cut with efficiency and I was left feeling a little raw and irritable.

What is for certain is that neither of these blades is the Gillette Winner Platinum, as had been suggested. The Gillette Winner Platinum is sharp AND smooth from the off, certainly sharper than the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black), and smooths out to a lovely shave. Definitely a "winner". The Gillette Winner Stainless is made by Vertice/EuroMax and so neither of these blades either.

Tuesday 6th April

ACtC-3cqVs8FDQUWM1811jOt9SYI8itAn41KdWskJZ6cHGiCpmSELOJH7yy9qPLN5fJkOObqMmibHwzEvX_K7xE5NP29mKC1JQxHyh64ZBUTyAkZE473EpHGIOd7yYQuyeX5X56BDtv_jiKT7GKwXO3w8QuDeA=w1200

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Wickham 1902 Garden Mint
Haryali Rosewood w/Blonde Boar 22mm
Yaqi Katana DLC w/Star Bakelite Handle
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (1) Made in India
Rose of Bulgaria

I have a little confession to make ...

I snapped both the Indian and the Chinese versions of these Gillette WIlkinson Sword blades and loaded them into their respective razors: Indian in the DLC and Chinese in the chome. I meant to start with the Indian, but shaved with the chrome one last night and then got confused and doubted which blade I put into which razor.

Looking at what is left in the respective sleeves, I can see a material difference between the MII and the MIC blades (the logo on the Indian is thicker) and so until after tonight's shave, I was actually blind as to which blade was in which razor. I've since had a look and now I know.

Comparisons between these two blades always seem to go down the line of one is sharper, one is smoother, by which I guess folks could also mean one is not as sharp as the other and one is not as smooth as the other. They're right! One is sharper, not as smooth; one is smooth, not as sharp as the other. I find the Indian smoother and the Chinese sharper. Moreover, I know which I prefer, but here's the kicker: I don't really like either.

I am going to run them through for a second shave on each, being in the single edge format should take me to the 2nd or 3rd, perhaps 4th shave in double edge format. For now, I find both to be preferable to the Russian Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green) and neither to be up to the Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green). The Indian GWS while certainly smooth feels like one of the more dull SuperMax blades, say the new epoch Titanium, just not as super-forgiving. The Chinese GWS which certainly sharper did not necessarily cut with efficiency and I was left feeling a little raw and irritable.

What is for certain is that neither of these blades is the Gillette Winner Platinum, as had been suggested. The Gillette Winner Platinum is sharp AND smooth from the off, certainly sharper than the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black), and smooths out to a lovely shave. Definitely a "winner". The Gillette Winner Stainless is made by Vertice/EuroMax and so neither of these blades either.

Many seemed to really liked the MIC GWS, but I found it felt a little bit prickly in the shave. They used to be fairly common on eBay not too long ago but they are more difficult to source now (RBC and a few others). Of the Indian Gillettes I have tried, I really rate the Winner/7 Black blades.

The MII GWS was the blade of choice for barbershop shaves when I was in India btw. I find it's an ok blade for DE razors, like a Astra SP with a few shaves under it's belt.

Many seemed to really liked the MIC GWS, but I found it felt a little bit prickly in the shave. They used to be fairly common on eBay not too long ago but they are more difficult to source now (RBC and a few others). Of the Indian Gillettes I have tried, I really rate the Winner/7 Black blades.

The MII GWS was the blade of choice for barbershop shaves when I was in India btw. I find it's an ok blade for DE razors, like a Astra SP with a few shaves under it's belt.
Yeah, I think I'd concur with that ...

My MII pack is 25 Rs (10), so 2.5 Rs each. Compare that Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum at 55 Rs a pack (10).

I really wanted to like the MII as you well know that I have a soft-spot for the truly pedestrian. If I find myself in India, I think I'll be sitting on the kerb with a Vidyut Economy scraping the day off me.

Last edited:
Wed 7th SOTD
Soap Wholly Kaw Pomplemo
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile New & 1st use
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + Proraso Green Balm
Nice enough lather from the soap. Kinda light scent (not sure it's grapefruit) but good quality. Creamy and slick.
Shave with razor and the new blade was good. Crisply sharp, smooth, and comfortable in 3passes for a bbs to dfs result with 2 weepers. Very nice & cooling aftershaves!
20210407_103330.jpg

SOTD : 6th April 2021.

View attachment 67663

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears ~ Transparent Bar Soap With Mint Extracts. + Nuage Menthol shaving Oil.
Brush: Yaqi ~ 24mm Sagrada Familia Synthetic.
Face Lather.
Lather: Proraso Sensitive.
Blade: Gillette Winner Stainless. (D3)
Razor: Parker 94r.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils. + 3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./The Real Shaving Co.~ Post Shave Soothing Balm./Dana ~ English Leather ASL.

Greetings,

A early morning returning to work shave after been furloughed since early December 2020...I'm now on permanent dayshift for the foreseeable future, and for the next 5-6 weeks the returning furloughed workers are on a 3 day 8 hour shift rota due to covid-19 UK working regulations. So this week i work for the next two days then I am off until the following Monday!...Anyway it'll be good for me to get back into the swing of things and have some real interaction with my fellow workers face to face rather than talking to them on the phone, text and emails... At least i have a job until i get myself something with more stability. The extra days off will give me a opportunity to look for something better...Even though everyone i work with are in the same frame of mind but, you have speculate to accumulate and get off your arse and find it.

A Enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing to the shave off with a generous splash of Dana ~ English Leather ASL.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Pleased for you.I am so lucky to be retired.

Last night's very welcome shave delivered with the theme 'Mrs Satanfriendly's back entry capers'

IMG_20210405_201347.jpg

Back alley - Razorock Hawk V3
Back street - Feather Super Professional
Back way - Razorock 400
Back entry - Alvarez Gomez Barberia
Snicket - Alvarez Gomez Colonia

I have dedicated this shave to Mrs Satanfriendly and all her hard work on clearing the back entry to our house. She will be so delighted to have a shave devoted solely to her good self and her back entry antics. She would probably cut my bollocks off in reality, but that is the risk I have to take scribbling up 'This was my shave'.

A return to the Hawk V3 as over in Yorkshire where it now lives with a few other shaving related items. And they live happily at that.

The water this side always throws up a great lather and the Alvarez was no different this time around. It will be a shame when this one finishes as that will be it. No more. A big Boooooooo to the Spanish Gomez family for not continuing their wonderful shaving soap. I shall enjoy it while I can.

Boooooooo

Nice to be able to use the Hawk again and a superb 3 pass performance with the Feather.

Hurrah hurrah hurrah

A shiny faced super smooth finish and looking like the Greek Adonis. The epitomy of beautiful youthfulness ...... Except I am a miserable old man with a face like a cracked paving slab. I can live in hope.

Well everyone I shall wish you wonderful days and I leave you in the hands of the original Ladybaby. If you can figure this lot out then kudos to you.

It could only ever be Japan

Last edited:
Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Wednesday 7th April 2021

Shave Score 9.3/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing PreShave Cream
Soap: RazoRock XxX
Brush: Yaqi 24mm - Purple Haze
Razor: RazoRock GameChanger .84 SB
Blade: GSB (1.5), switched to a new Gillette Super Blue blade after first WTG pass as the GSB for the first time ever even after a great shave yesterday seemed duff and blunt, the Super Blue was of course awesome :)
Post Shave ASL: RazoRock XxX
Post Shave Balm: LEA 3 in 1
Post Shave Cologne: Geoffrey Beene - Bowling Green

Lovely scent from the RazoRock Soap, made a great lather, very slick on the face, but didn't leave much residual slickness after a pass at all, I'll maybe load the brush up more and try that again.

Have a good day all.

Joe

IMG_0832.jpeg

170669390_721177158560368_712974278544818595_n.jpg

Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Soap: Wickham 1912 Buddha Wood Sample
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor: Parker 22R Interceptor
Blade: Kai Stainless (1)

I'm beginning to think that I am of a delicate disposition, and I get on best with coated blades. The Kai (cheers Chris @Satanfriendly) has left a good finish, and I've no doubt will sharpen up for tomorrow, but it did feel rougher than other recent shaves. Loving the minimalist packing as well. I shall up the shaving kit tomorrow and give it every chance to shine, with a setup I know works for me.

Back
Top Bottom