SOTD SATURDAY 31ST OCT to FRIDAY 6th NOV 2015

SOTD - Wed
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Beaver Woodwright's "Black Beard"
Brush: M&F Chief, 26mm "Blonde" 2-band bulb
Razor: Schick dial adjustable (M15)
Blade: (NOS) Schick Injector Twin (9)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Krampert's Bay Rum
Very nice 3-pass BBS shave. I think this blade is finally starting to lose its edge. Maybe 2 shaves left, quite a run!

Tried something different today, just to see what all the fuss was about concerning Feather blades.
Using budget products and a Feather.

Pre : Hot shower and Towel.
Soap : Arko pressed in a bowl, couple of drips of Lavender oil
Razor : Parker 96R
Blade : Feather (1)
Finish : Alum block, Witch Hazel rub
AS : Benjamins Bay rum

Result was a pretty disappointing shave in all aspects, scratchy,a fairly hefty sting from the Alum and not very close.
Having been using more upmarket Soap and a Voskhod in both the Ikon OC and the Fatboy over the last 6 shaves, believing I had "Cracked it", it appears I have a way to go yet, will try this blade in my next shave with the Ikon, hope for better.

... believing I had "Cracked it", it appears I have a way to go yet, will try this blade in my next shave with the Ikon, hope for better.
You may well have cracked it except part of that is knowing which razors and blades suit your face and which don't. I think I still have a Parker or two but haven't used one in years - as I remember, the TTOs were very mild and the three piece razors were extremely and unevenly aggressive. Pretty handles.

Wed 4th Nov.
Stirling Synthetic
OSP Bay Rum
Ever Ready Streamline
Gem S/S [ 5 ]
Alum Rub / Aqua Velva A/S.

Brush whips up a lather with this soap in a Trice. Found it hard to believe that blade was on its 5th use, the soap allowed the razor to glide around the face , even ATG. Am finding it difficult to resist ordering another flavour , as I probably have enough for 2/3 years.

Don't really want to change the ones that I have - Seem to have struck lucky with my choices, mainstream brands such as MWF, Lea, Vitos, Tabac. Have gone through a few Creams, but prefer soaps at the moment.

P1170082.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

1964 rebranded Macys silvertip flopmeister
Schick M type adjustable/Schick twin (NOS)
Lucien Dandy SC
Myrsol Emulsion (regards to Mr Miguel)
Drakkor Noir EdT (80s vintage juice)

Started out with a DE and Feather blade but didn't make it far since the blade was done. Went right to the already loaded injector which was real smart and had a great shave. This soap/cream is quite good both in performance and scent. Excellent post shave feel too.

Heh, this old EdT still has plenty of pop to it. Never used it till I was a geezer......better late than never.

BBS results,

Martin

Last edited:
Today's SOTD

Pre: Shower
Soap: Fredricssons Cedarwood
Brush: Kent Pure Badger
Razor: Parker 99R
Blade: Dorco Stainless

Trying out the Parker again. Quite like its heft.
Decent shave bar one small nick!
Still undecided on the Fredricssons soap...
5ae35e75ba078e44259f27a53c83d725.jpg

Wednesday 4 November 2015

217561d1446653115-sun-november-01st-sat-november-07th-sotd-04112015.jpg

Traveling with a Mastro Livi RWL34

This is my first Mastro Livi straight razor made of RWL34 stainless steel, a razor I bought a little more than two years ago. I must say, it was love at first sight with this amazing stainless steel, as I consider it to give a very smooth and deep shave although somewhat agressive, however very performing. I have never honed this razor, not even a simple touch up on chromium oxide, and it still shaves like the first time. When I ordered this razor I asked Mastro Livi if I could make a video of its making and he allowed me to film it. In case you are curious to watch it, below you will find the link to this video. This RWL34 is the straight razor I chose to take with me in this business trip and I am sure it will make a great companion, not to mention the incredible shaves it will give me while I am away from home.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Red Tub
  • Brush: Sephora Badger 491
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Tried something different today, just to see what all the fuss was about concerning Feather blades.
Blade : Feather (1)
Finish : Alum block, Witch Hazel rub
AS : Benjamins Bay rum

Result was a pretty disappointing shave in all aspects, scratchy,a fairly hefty sting from the Alum and not very close.
Having been using more upmarket Soap and a Voskhod in both the Ikon OC and the Fatboy over the last 6 shaves, believing I had "Cracked it", it appears I have a way to go yet, will try this blade in my next shave with the Ikon, hope for better.

How about trying the Feather in a Fatboy set down one number and see how that feels.

Looks like you may be giving your face a hard time here with your aftershave routine but maybe not. Alum is an astringent medicinal kinda thing used to mostly keep sweat from forming. Not meant to be soothing or calming at all.

Witch hazel may or may not have alcohol and sometimes that can sting. Same goes for aftershaves.

If it was me I would be looking for something to make my face heal up faster.....heh. Maybe a balm or non alcohol AS and a styptic pencil for spot duty.

Back
Top Bottom