SOTD: Saturday 29th February to Friday 6th March of 2020

This day brought with it my themed shave 'A big beastly brass bugger beats bristles in bathroom brawl'

IMG_20200301_200648.jpg

Bristle basher - Long handled brass Hone
Bristle beating blade - Feather
Bristle bustling brush - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
Bristle bubbles - James Riley No.8

Nearly three days of bristles to beat in to submission. Bring on the big brass beast and his army of accruttements. Bring it on and bring on the dancing girls.

'Stop staring up at the ladies Albert you dirty old man'

Given its bulk in every respect the Hone is one of those razors which delivers every which way. Amazingly agile, as smooth as melting butter and refuses to cause facial damage. Which in my case is a massive plus as I am already one ugly fuckling as the kids story and song goes. I am just waiting for my Swan moment. 59 years in the waiting so far.

Ride the cap as @Blademonkey told me and ride the cap I do. Anything else and it does become a bit cumbersome and loses any accuracy at the same time. It is the only way I can put a defined line to my sidies. Top man is the monkeyoftheblade, a top man.

Feed with a feather was his advise and being a follower of the guru that is what I did. The Hone changes that nasty sharp aspect of the Feather DE blade and makes it something you could chew. Don't try that at home folks. I am sure it is not covered in your life insurance policies.

Deliver the beast did and with such fitness. For something with the physical dimensions and presence of a sledgehammer that ain't a bad turn out.

Not cuts, no reason to weep and everything to grin about. A wonderfully executed piece of design which was probably a forerunner to the guillotine.

The Cadman and the No.8 worked in superb harmony and on this ocassion one of those OTT lathers which makes you giggle in the mirror. Santa Claus in February? What is the world coming to?

So one absolutely stonking shave and smoother than a collective of lounge room lizards

Have a fantastic week ahead one and all

Someone mention Japanese badgers?

Date:- 02 March 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Orbit
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-C' / Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword #9
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

sotd.jpg
OSP Orange and Patchouli cream
YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo synth
Wilkinson Sword Classic
Lord Super Stainless (1)

I tend to prefer soaps to creams, but if anything could convince me otherwise it would be this OSP number. I understand James has been experimenting again, and I really hope he gets back into the business. Face lathering works a treat.

Somehow this is the tenth variety of Lord (or SOTRACO) blade I've tried. They seem to run from okay-ish to downright awful (I'm looking at you, Big Bens). A common (though not universal) theme is that many of the blades are finished properly on only one edge - I'm pretty sure I got the bad edge this morning, as it was tuggy and uncomfortable, though not to the extent I couldn't finish my shave. The finish was okay, and thanks to the OSP cream face-feel was lovely.

Tomorrow I'll find out what this blade is supposed to feel like.

9CF0D98B-6A93-4A05-83AF-9B59B4D704D0.jpeg
Prep: Bath face washed with Palmolive soap
Pre: Proraso Red
Brush: Proraso Omega Boar
Soap: Proraso Green bowl lathered
Razor/Blade: RR GC .84/Permasharp (3)
ASL: Proraso Green
ASB: B.Men

Three pass + clean-up shave with the Game Changer. There's a definite blade feel with this razor, but I had no weepers and only a little feedback from the alum. Despite the relative aggression of this razor, I'm not sure whether the result is any closer than I've found with the Feather ASD2 (now I've found the angle); I'll see what the stubble feels like tomorrow.

DSCF0009 - Edited.jpg

Monday‌ ‌03.02.20‌ ‌SOTD‌
Pre' De Provence Artisanal French Soap lather and rinse
Gillette‌ ‌'56‌ ‌B4‌ ‌Red‌ ‌Tip‌ ‌Super-Speed‌ ‌
Astra‌ ‌Superior‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌(2)‌ ‌
Yaqi‌ ‌Ruby‌ ‌Handle‌ ‌24mm‌ ‌2-Band‌ ‌Badger‌
Pre de Provence shave soap
Pre de Provence Sante Green Tea

DSCF0014 - Edited (1).jpg

lgcHKYV.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir Et Vanille
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2.5)
Blade: NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (7)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Cella Aftershave Splash

First shave with the Noble Otter 'The Noir Et Vanille' soap. I had in my mind a dark vanilla tobacco scent (ala A&E's Vanille de Tabac). I was surprised to find that the "Noir" in this Novel Otter soap is in fact black tea, which lifts and brightened the scent - it combines beautifully with the vanilla to create a well balanced and complex scent that is also refreshing.
The soap's performance was jolly good, and the NOS Bleue Extra Annecy blade is still performing admirably at its 7th outing.
Three passes and a few touch-up strokes for a BBS result. Also my first use of the Cella aftershave. It has a light citrus cologne scent; is a little easy on the alcohol, and has some glycerin. You feel the glycerin when you apply the splash, but it absorbs readily with no sticky feeling. Looks like another winner.

02/03/2020
Pre: 1912 Club Cola
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm
Soap: 1912 Irish Fern
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather PB (7)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Bay Rum Astringent
Balm: Barts Balm Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Copycat Executive

Wk10 (3).JPG

A nice shave today with the Vector, the blade started to go off towards the end? that's early for a Feather for me.
Feeling and smelling good.
Enjoy your day All

Mon 2.3.20 SOTD
Soap Tabac
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Badger
Razor Gillette New SC
Blade Vintage Gillette Nacet Super Stainless 2nd
Postshsve Alum + Thayers Lemon
Aftershave Clubman Whisky Woods
Good face lather. Thick, luscious, creamy and slick. Nice scent too.
Shave with razor and blade although good but causes some irritation. This is the razor 2nd use and better than the 1st with no weepers nor nicks this time. 3+1pass wtg, xtg/atg, atg/xtg and a pickup atg. Result was just a DFS with rating 8.5/10
20200302_070319.jpg
20200302_072126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom