SOTD Saturday 29nd Aug to Friday 4th Sept 2020

SOTD 30/08 - Merkur 34C HD, Gillette Wilkinson Sword, Palmolive, Razorock 400 synthetic, Body Shop Maca Root Razor Relief⁠

200830-SOTD.jpg

This shave was themed 'I'll have half'

View attachment 58863

Half a something - Maestro something eighths straight
Half a sixpence - Brass General
Half a double edged blade - Feather Super Professional
Half a pint - Yaqi Dandelion
Half cream - Signature Soaps Danum
Half whit - Me

Another of those half and half shaves to break me in to the world of straights with razor duties split between the Maestro and the General. Starting with the straight.

The thing which gets me about straights is that I find being right handed the left side is relatively easy, but the right side relatively bloody difficult. Being a guitarist I should be okay switching hands....... but I'm not as I am finding out. I tend to find the scales get in the way of my vision. So a bit of arsing around and voila, I discover I am finding it easier to shave with the handle in a straight line with the blade. None of this turning it 90 degrees etc, but more a la Kamisori. Is this unusual or normal with some folk? I have no idea. Probably one reason I am enjoying my pseudo Feather Kamisori shavette a little more. I would possibly have more success removing the handle altogether on the Maestro and just using the blade.

If it is or not I actually manage to shave a good 75% of my face, minus the chin and under the nose. I like them too much to be involuntarily removed. More time and a lot more skill required, but getting there.

I wouldn't describe the end result as dolphin smooth but more a rough arsed badger. More importantly not one cut, nick and throats actually being slit. Pleased and happy.

To add the final Buff and polish to my ragged shaved chops step in the Colonial. All of a sudden it feels blunt which obviously with a Feather it isn't but I find I can throw it around at warp speed with massive confidence. The thing I find is my straight act couldn't have been that bad as there is not all that much remaining to remove. End results are quite stunning and now we can talk dolphins, babies and leave the back end of badgers behind. Literally.

A quick mention that both the Daffodil brush and the Signature Doncaster turned in sterling performances as they always do.

A wonderful half half shave and feeling divine, God like (even with Satanfriendly as a tag) and extremely dudish.

Over to the Japanese girly section and some Bridear

Have a wonderful week ahead you cool dudes and may you and all your families stay safe
Hi Chris

"None of this turning it 90 degrees etc, but more a la Kamisori."

Whatever works really people use all sorts of technique , there are people who complete the shave entirely with the dominant hand very succesfully. I found with me itis amazing how much the left hand develops as you practice.

Last edited:
Mon 31 SOTD
Soap RazoRock XXX
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Synthetic
Razor RR Game Changer.84 SB
Blade Permasharp Super 1st Use
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Good lather with nice scent, just too mild. Face lathering with brush feels great and the resulting lather was creamy and slick.
3+1 multiple direction passes shave with razor paired with new blade. Initial impression for 3 passes was very good. Felt sharp but yet smooth and comfortable. Felt comfortable around lips area. As always, caught a weeper on the pickup, trying to close a BBS deal. Icy water rinse stopped the weeper easily while Thayers refreshed then Hyaluronic soothed.
Nice lather, razor & blade for a BBS session with 9.5/10 rating.
20200830_195727.jpg
20200831_120216.jpg

Mon 31st August

RR Syn. 22mm
P & B Spitfire
ER 1924 + Claymore handle [ 4 ]
Gem S/S [ 4 ]
P & B Spitfire A/S Splash.

After a surprisingly poor Shave with a "Streamline", I was a bit unsure how the 1924 would perform as both had blades on a 4th outing.
My concerns were quickly dispelled as the Shave was smooth and comfortable, and I had no problems getting a superb close all round finish. The 1924 IMHO is one of the best affordable Vintage SE Razors around, especially if used with a longer handle.

IMG_0990.jpg

31/08/20

Razor: ATT S1 Calypso
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm
Soap: Osma Laboratories
Pre: Proraso White
ASL: Signature Soaps Eboracum
ASB: LEA

IMG_20200830_151055.jpg

I was expecting to be disappointed with the Osma soap but it performed really well (I used it like a shave stick due to its diameter and depth). A unique post shave feeling that I liked. This was an impulse purchase to bulk up my subscribe and save order and it's a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom