SOTD : Saturday 27th - Friday 2nd August 2019

This evening used the shaving theme 'I did my time'

20190730_194104.jpg

The past few days saw me have some time away with Mrs SF in Aberystwyth. I love the coastal towns in Wales and Aberystwyth sits towards the top of my list. Rhyll somewhere down at the bottom which is why I visit once a year just remind myself not to go there the following year. And fail. My father's mother tongue is Welsh and even he is bewildered by the complete lack of vowels in the language. The biggest lesson I have learnt down the years is never ask for directions. But I have travelled to something like 75% of the world's countries in my 42 years at sea and Wales for me is as beautiful as they come when the weather is kind. Finding the good weather being the difficult part. This past few days were fortunately very pleasant........and then it turned.

This time away had me take the Colonial General so as to draw some comparisons with the on loan Cobra. Now back home this evening this was to be my time with the Cobra and it has been a most enjoyable time having it in the armoury.

15 years to life - Cobra
10 years with early release for good behaviour - Kai Captain
Life meaning life - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo in copper and black
Gone and never to return to her majesty's pleasure - OSP Barber shop cream
2 years inside remaining - OSP Barber shop aftershave tonic
Escaped and on the run - A rather depleted tube of L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm

This past week has been a great learning curve in shaving and lessons learnt include:
  • Cold water shaving is the way to go. Smoother, less weepers and less nicks.
  • Cobra razors just have to be up with the best there is out there
  • James @OSP should do time for not continuing with his great products ;) Bye Bye Barbershop cream never to return :oops:
  • L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm doesn't last forever
  • Mervyn Cadman makes incredible brushes
Drawing comparisons between The Cobra and The General is actually not that easy. When it comes to design they are opposite ends of the spectrum. One is a big chunk of SS which uses its weight advantage to get end results whereas the other is very slimline and very manoeuvrable. Both are incredibly smooth to use and both deliver the most fantastic end results with minimum fuss and minimum collateral.

I am not sure about the handle on the Cobra and I find the General's handle allows for a touch more control being more conventional and familiar. However there is a solution in the King Cobra and it will be this which I will be on the hunt for. I really hate this bloody place, discovering new razors and discovering a growing 'must have' list. My missus hates it even more and my bank manager is perplexed by how much razors can cost.

In summary I cannot favour one over the other. I am pleased to own a General and it has been an absolute pleasure to have loaned the Cobra. It will be hard to hand it over to the Post Office tomorrow. I wish it would get lost somewhere between the shower room cabinet and the shower room door, but @Barry Giddens has been a star and a very kind chap to have given me this opportunity. But he bloody well knew it would bring withdrawal symptoms and it will take weeks at Razors Anonymous meetings to shake this one out of my system. Cold turkey here I come.

The other star of this evening for a first time appearance on my SOTD's is that most wonderful Mervyn Cadman creation, a 30mm synthetic Tuxedo brush in copper and black. This is a real monster and with its lovely wide body which is perfect for my shovel head hands manages to produce more lather than I care to think of. It doesn't stop there as it manages to apply to face with brilliant effect. I absolutely love this piece of artistic wonder and to own is to love. Worth every bit of the 3 week wait. May be I still don't understand this brush thing but I think I am taking my first steps on a slippery slope.

This evening's cold water shave was as good as any other using the Cobra and I sit here prattling away feeling incredibly smooth and refined. The minus points being I saw the last (ever?) of the OSP Barber Shop cream and the last of the Cade aftershave balm. Not all at a loss though as I manged to get some more Cade this afternoon. Please take note James some companies manage to continue with their products

A great shave was had and yes, I did my time and so did Jonathan Davies and the brilliant Korn

Last edited:
31/07/19
Pre: Pears Original Transparent
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express
Soap: London Oatcake "Overgrowth"
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Bay Rum Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm and Lotion
A/S: Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey

Dart 2 (2).JPG

A nice 2 pass shave today with the Dart and the London Oatcake " Overgrowth" sample.
The Yaqi worked up a nice lather, it has a nice clean smell, I cant quite put my finger on it but it reminds me of a soap my mother used to buy years ago, anyway Crisp and clean. The lather itself was slick and cushioning. No pre shave shower today and I tried a cold water shave (1st pass), its really not for me, my stubble around the chin area did not soften enough and the blade felt as though it was tugging, before the second pass I completed 2 hot face washes and a warm pre shave soap rub, then lathered, the 2nd pass was much better mixing XTG & ATG.
I was expecting a bit from the block and was surprised when there was no indication. A cold water splash, a splash of witch hazel then the Bart's face medic arrived.
Another sample AS with the Issey Miyake and another Citrus/Woody scent and it seems to compliment the Sandalwood Barts Balm. Again its nice and I could wear it.
So a 2 Pass DFS+. Face comfortable, smelling good and ready for the day ahead.
Enjoy your day All.

Tuesday 30th July SOTD

Pinaud Clubman Soap
YaqI Tuxedo Marble Handle
Rockwell 6C plate 4
GSB (1)
Arctic Kinesia ASL

I hadn't used my 6C for a couple of weeks as I'd been enjoying my Timeless and trialling my recently acquired Game Changer.
I got some irritation to the neck area, possibly due to using excess pressure.
The Clubman Soap delivered the goods again - I really rate this soap and for the price it's excellent value. I only picked up two - one for me and one for my son, but I shall try to get some more before it's all gone.
Finished with Arctic Kinesia ASL - this was gifted to me by @Digimonkey , an absolute winner in both performance and scent.

Last edited:
Williams Wednesday- 31st July.

Simpson Chubby 1 / Maggards 2band
Williams Mug Soap
Occams V2 - No3 plate-aggressive
Kai Captain Titan Mild-Pink [ 1 ]
Williams Aqua Velva A/S Lotion

Am still on a learning curve with The Occams V2. Using a No2 plate [ medium ] in conjunction with Feather Pro/ Schick Proline blades it is very smooth and comfortable with a great close all round finish. The downside is that Shave Time to get that finish is quite long.

I changed the Plates on the Razor and now it is fitted with a No3 plate [ Aggressive],this operation was very easy, provided that you have a good Philips No1 Screwdriver, Yesterday I used it with a Schick Proline, and though that was excellent on the Cheeks/ Neck I found it rather harsh working around the Chin. I tried a milder Kai Blade and found working around the Chin much better. The overall quality of finish was excellent, but the significant fact was that Shave Time was shorter, and similar to that when using other AC/ SE and ER Streamline/1924.

I am fast reaching the conclusion that the Occams V2 is probably the best AC/SE that I have used , the variable aggressive plates are not a gimmick and its shaving performance is superb. I find that blade loading/unloading is not the problem that many think it might be. I think that I will use it mainly with a No2 plate, using the No3 for a change of pace.

IMG_0599.jpg

Last edited:
  • Stirling - Margaritas in the Arctic Shampoo bar & a Shower
  • Stirling - Margaritas in the Arctic Body-crème
  • Fatip Piccolo OC
  • Rapira Platinum Lux (5)
  • J&T Marblewood 26mm Tuxedo
  • Stirling - Margaritas in the Arctic
  • Stirling - Margaritas in the Arctic Witch hazel
  • Stirling - Margaritas in the Arctic Aftershave Balm
Today i was in the mood for MitA, so the whole program was used. Now, some hours later i can still smell it (y) The Piccolo in combination with my favourite DE Blade did its job as usual without any fuzz, i do like this little champion. Have a nice day!

Wednesday 31st July
Yaqi Aluminium Tux - Wickham 1912 'Apricus' - Standard - Personna Lab Blue #1 - Alum - Wickham 1912 'Apricus' ASB
BlP2uu5.jpg

First shave back home from holiday. And a rare DE one with the Standard. My only other DE is a birth year black tip superspeed. Maybe that one next.

31/7/19

Soap - Vitos Red & Green
Brush - Omega 11819
Razor - Gillette Ball End Tech
Blade - Gillette Winner (1)
Post - Witch Hazel/Alum
Balm - Nivea Replenishing
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum

First time using the new Gillette Winner blade, and I tested the blade in a Ball End Tech, my standard razor for testing new blades. In the shave it is very similar to the Indian GWS it was quite a middle of the road blade for sharpness, reasonably smooth - a little resistance at times but nothing of discomfort, but the blade is very forgiving, I pressed a little hard a few times but didn't cut or nick myself - very pleased with the shave . I have a suspicion it could well be the same blade as the Indian GWS, but with vastly superior packaging.

Look at how delighted the ex cricketer Sachin Tendulkar is with my DFS.
WP_20190730_002.jpg

On less exciting matters, a very good lather with the brush and soap. Loading a bit less seems to make a big difference to the quality of the lather and by some strange miracle the Omega didn't lose any bristles during the shave. A very boring miracle, if one. Ok, Ok, it's not a miracle at all. I shouldn't get so over excited...

Anyway chaps, have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom