SOTD : Saturday 27th February to Friday 05th March 2021

Today I am very happy to present you with a shave themed 'Any old iron'

View attachment 65746

Pig iron - Ever Ready 1912
Scrap iron - Gem
Wrought iron - Alpha Wickhams Artic Fox
Cast iron - Captain Fawcett's
Ironing board - Eau Sauvage

Reading a recent thread on vintage SE's enticed me to reach in to the iron mongery cupboard and pull out the 1912. You do have to say they do rather look as if they were forged out of the industrial revolution. Probably when someone got the size wrong for a shovel and mistook feet for inches.

There is something rather savage looking about them and they really do give the impression it is a skinning tool more than a shaving tool. But the reality is they are little kittens in use and you would really have to get something drastically wrong to draw blood ( @Jester ?). Unlike an AC SE you do have to work at it a bit to get results but well worth the effort. Under the nose is a challenge (more so as I go ATG) and it feels as if the handle is somewhere level with one's chin. But very short strokes and job done. And done to near perfection. I ain't going to complain and a real top class finish.

The Fawcett's and the Alpha were simply made for each other. I keep forgetting the Captains soap really is up there with the best and a superlative product. Hats off to them. It is a Captain thing.

A slap of Simple moisturiser (my go to at the moment and so damn cheap), a spray of Sauvage and one beautiful smooth shave.

'And this my love is the Gentleman's manual on shaving'

'Oh you are just so dapper and fucking boring'

Maybe I am, but these ladies aren't

Chris, if you were a newspaper you'd be the Daily Chuckle.

3 March

SV Felce Aromatica
Mühle Rocca
Mühle Rocca R96
Feather Hi-stainless
SV Felce Aromatica asl

BA746E9E-3032-42B7-A444-18BFCD678DBF.jpeg

Today I had to put my face where my mouth was yesterday. The Feather blade from my last shave was loaded in the Mühle Rocca, and away we went. I usually load a Gillette Silver Blue in this razor as I find it smoother, but the Feather did its stuff and a close shave was the result, with no damage. On balance though, I think the R41 just beat the R96 in the closeness stakes and the Rocca set will be passed on to my lucky brother.

IMG_20210302_153846s.jpg

There's been a lot of Hawkishness in the SOTD recently. So why not join the fun?

This was my first outing with the Fitjar Fjellheim. What a creamy, easy to lather soap. I found the scent to be rather weak when lathered but the performance easily made up for it. I loaded for only twenty seconds or so and easily had enough for four passes, should I have needed it. It likes a drink and left a very nice post shave feel. I paired it with the Trumper's lime aftershave, since when sniffing the puck, there is an underlying citrus scent.

The Hawk really is an excellent razor and provides a very smooth shave. I've used it 13 times since I bought it and only had one bad shave, down to lack of prep and rushing. I took my time today and managed BBS, including on my neck which is my trickiest area, with no irritation and an ATG pass. I bought the A plate from an IG follower but with the performance from the standard plate and the AC Pro, I don't really see the need to bump up the aggression, given the great shave it just gave.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves.

Razor: Razorock Hawk v3 - Standard plate
Blade: Feather AC Pro (2)
Soap: Fitjar Fjellheim
Brush: Simpson’s Milk Churn BB
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Trumper’s Limes Aftershave
Face lather

03/03/21
Vintage Wednesday
Pre: Shower
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus 1950
Soap: Vintage Cussons Imperial Leather shaving cream 1950's
Razor: Schick B1 Repeating Razor 1927-32
Blade: Personna Injector (1)
Post shave: Alum rub, Cold water splash ,TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm
Aftershave: Proraso Red

Wk 10 (5).JPG
It really is a privilege to use this wonderful set up, the Star of the show being the The B1 repeating razor.
A wonderfully slick, lightly soapy scented Lather mixed up with the Woodridge Culmak Plus and Vintage cream.
I completed a 2 pass shave routine and knew i had a close finish, i did not bother with a touch up, i usually find the 1st shave with a new blade in this razor can be a bit harsh, some light indication from the alum rub confirming the closeness of the shave.
So a DFS+ finish and smiling from ear to ear, like the cat that got the cream.
I finished the shave with a splash of Proraso to help the post shave along.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Last edited:
SoTd
Lovely shave today a little more irritation than yesterday but think I rushed it a bit nothing that didn’t settle down within a few minutes, tried a bit of a touch up on the paste after today’s shave 7 light draws on paste and 75 on the leather will see how it goes hopefully I’ve done okie..it’s all practice and I’m having fun 8EE9B9D8-AF41-4401-851F-CF42C96D4230.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom