SOTD : Saturday 27th February to Friday 05th March 2021

View attachment 65778

3/3/21

Brush - Zenith B07 Floppy Mop
Soap - Vitos Red Coco/Lea Menthol Super Lather
Razor - Yaqi Katana
Blade - Supermax Super Platinum (1)
Post - Superdrug Sierran Breeze

I dug out the floppy mop bleached Zenith from the back of my cupboard as it was a brush I'd given up on but decided to give another go. I started the lather by loading some VRC but didn't load enough so gave a squeeze of Lea Menthol and the super lather from the two was truly superb, it was like the great VRC lather but with a nice cool Menthol kick.
The brush lost about 6 bristles during it's use, usually it was pretty good on those grounds, but I managed to get the brush to build a lather and hold enough lather for another pass (there was lather for another pass if needed be).
I didn't really enjoy the last time I used my Yaqi Katana, I paired with a more assertive blade and found it a bit too much. Today's pairing with a Supermax Super Platinum produced a very comfortable combination.

Anyway chaps, have a good day.

cBajhev.jpg

Last bit of my sample of Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay which is a superb clove forward scented soap. RR GC .68 and the superb Chinese Goal Super Platinum blade that never disappoints.

Wow! Something new from Omega?
Yes, sure is. If you like the T series from Simpson you will like the Omega offerings. I'm confident they share the same synthetic knot fibre as the face feel is pretty much identical.. Although the Colosseum version is listed as a 31mm, to me, its more like a 28mm. Nevertheless it's a great quality brush and very impressive for £20.

Yes, sure is. If you like the T series from Simpson you will like the Omega offerings. I'm confident they share the same synthetic knot fibre as the face feel is pretty much identical.. Although the Colosseum version is listed as a 31mm, to me, its more like a 28mm. Nevertheless it's a great quality brush and very impressive for £20.
What is the glue bump like???

Wednesday 3rd March

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Martin de Candre Vetyver
Semogue SOC Taj (Boar)
Muhle Rocca R95
Zorrik Talvar (1), then (1) ... then Zorrik Titanium (3)
Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia

Three of four shaves ago I used a Zorrik Supreme (Chromium) blade which I found to be very neutral, by which I mean right on the pivot point between its characteristics: sharp and smooth, not so much sharpness that it might bite and not so much smooth as you feel like it's not shaving and over-compensate with pressure. Right on the cusp.

Tonight, I fully expected my first use of the Zorrik Talvar (also a Chromium blade) to be the self-same blade ...

ACtC-3eec09Qc50yvoPjy9CsrvZZyjaMxretgKGFA1Vod78iWxOyu1hFdxz-gzT0yHiU4MEzefarTe0OFaDYHkDHRhPeWhagQJ-TRQOb1fh_Du_p6lJDdg72SpG41-Sg5qBiW9JHU0eTf0qtX15ownjzQ67sRA=w300

ACtC-3cBtK3DipUW4fEnv3qK4vjQy2SFY5DiMxohw3pitYas-lfDzqZo3_QpNgr8pAYYVanfwjmjNo_k0ARG9_89ScoZeemGTPQ4SE4wGWr5xkOIj-mV1sEt8CyGY8Dv68y_eFUBPbOIQ8rllGLCDZ198gUvCw=w300

It just wasn't sharp enough and I could definitely feel that it was, well, missing. Is this the legendary inconsistency that we hear levelled at SuperMax? I have another, so popped that into the razor and got the same kind of shave. Noisy, scratching, not necessarily tugging, but not necessarily shaving (well) either.

Washed off, it looked like I hadn't shaved ... and that's technically two passes. So, I popped last night's Zorrik Titanium in for a third run on that blade and third pass for tonight. Sorted! I know I've reviewed the SuperMax & Zorrik Titanium as a blade I can't so much recommend, but equally cannot escape that it has something quite niche to offer ...

... and this is it! You get a bad shave, what's best to sort it out? Either with something seethingly sharp and VERY carefully, or something phenomenally smooth and exceptionally forgiving. Yeah! That sorted it. Wash off, no longer patchy, feels smooth all over, good splash of highly alcoholic Alvarez Gomez, do a little dance (make a little love?) as the burn flashes off and I'm done.

Happy to have rescued that shave!

So, I don't think the Zorrik Talvar is the same blade as the Zorrik Supreme. I wondered if one was the descendent of the other, but they're both in the branded greaseproof inner papers indicative of the latest generation of blade from the SuperMax house. I think they're more like a good and budget kinda market placement.

Talvar (or तलवार) translates as "sword".

I found some courtroom drama where Gillette (who hold the patent to Wilkinson Sword in India) went after SuperMax over this branding, claiming that it was leaning on the Wilkinson Sword name: https://www.latestlaws.com/latest-n...le-to-distinguish-the-products-read-judgment/ ... more here: https://spicyip.com/2018/07/a-freud...arity-and-a-psychological-slippery-slope.html

Much thanks to @donnie_arko for the blades - the Zorrik Talvar and the Zorrik Titanium. I'll be trying out the Zorrik Super Platinum tomorrow, which I do hope is akin to the current Vidyut Super Platinum that you sent me as I enjoyed that blade very much!

@pjgh I sincerely hope that YMMV applies to these blades, and you enjoy the SP - for my part I couldn't get along with them seated in any of my razors :(
The Zorrik branded Super Platinum has had a facelift in recent times. I used an old one maybe 5 or 6 blades ago (and maybe 3 or 4 years ago?) and it was not as good as I remembered nor as good as the Vidyut Super Platinum (confirmed new stock) that I'd used just before. I have a fresh/facelifted pack of the Zorrik brand.

Fingers crossed!

Older:
ACtC-3f_b97WSF_6sIaYspqW8k7r9fj1hRJPsKViFcu8G265zETXlo7p2agdcvLc9y3eNcAStUMAcTwo3eWJCLJgH_WCqV27TduPDW3DJY1B5MCoyTvr0chY5NcwDAf_i3R4dbj_i5QWk16xK1oVS3yjfqL0jg=w300

New ... which given when I bought these ones (maybe 3 or 4 years ago?), this is likely the first lot of the new style blades. Since then, I think they've really got to grips with the new equipment and processes. Certainly the current batch Vidyut was very nice. These were paper wrapped with the tuck design on each.

Facelifted:
ACtC-3dL0DDYu6yRuwycgDUUco_-uMrFTFTbgnxI8l7XwP7YCqbJqxjLJ7scdBj8IESYyX8NWZ1rhIa-m2GxDHEWSgTAWoDoYxu43Ns7q21qEFqeQIJx0oTSxV5JYMbqad0D_wrq3mvYAT43XYOJ-tgKi1hrMQ=w300

New ... AND improved? These are simple branded greaseproof wrapped, as per the rest of the current production blades under the SuperMax, Zorrik and Vidyut brands. I'll go in with an open mind, try to keep preconceptions out of the way and let the blade tell me about itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom