SOTD : Saturday 26th March - Friday 1st April 2022.

7EC1DA48-FDED-44EF-9A10-6AEB89993A0B.jpeg

Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Merkur 34c
Gillette Platinum (2)
Speick stick
Thayer’s Cucumber witch hazel
Speick Active a/s

The Duke 2 in pure badger was the first brush I bought when I started traditional shaving seven or so years ago. It served me well for quite a few months, but it started to shed rapidly. As have the other Simpsons that I subsequently tried. On recent reflection I’ve pondered how the knot was excellent in size and proportion to my tastes, so I jumped on the opportunity to try the Duke again when Stuart at Shaving Station offered a range of Simpsons Best at seriously discounted rates. I found it to be a perfect partner to shaving sticks, which I’m increasingly favouring, easily producing enough lather for three passes. Soft tips, exceptional flow through and packs a greater punch than its 21mm knot size. I hope the knot lasts!

Excellent. Enjoy yours gents

You haven't given any hints on the progress with the razor??????
Hi Brian

Yes, very remiss of me !
Well, I didn't cause any bleeding which is always a good thing.
It feels a bit draggy/tuggy, and not altogether smooth. The first use with four days growth was a bit more comfortable.
Perhaps it's me using the wrong angle? Or - the guarded blade isn't a good match for this razor? (Any tips would be greatfuly received, anyone?)
I want to persevere with it though, because the end result is really quite good without irritation, despite the tugging feeling.

Mon 28 SOTD
Soap Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Joseph Elliott 13/16
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Phoenix & Beau Spitfire Splash
The soap scent is really nice for a change...leathery & smoky. The lather was just acceptable...
Another nice easy shave with this razor. Smooth and comfortable in 3passes for a dfs/ccs result with some micro red spots for over trying The matching aftershave was terrific!
20220328_123846.jpg

Monday 28th March
SE Adjustable 3D, Medium Plate - GEM Stainless Coated #5 - Yaqi Moka Express - OSP No8 v1 Test Soap - OSP No8 v1 Test AS - Aloe Vera Gel
ldYNWvf.jpg

276090992_1066938657217940_4495022503330815337_n.jpg
Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Soap: P&B Albion
Brush: 24mm Yaqi Aqua Beaux Silvertip Premium synthetic
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Gillette Super Blue (3)

One of those soaps I pounced on in those early days on here where I scooped up any "classic" that came up on BST. I want to love it, I really do. The scent should be right up my street - and it is - but the Albion confirms my intolerance of soaps with lanolin. It sits in the background tainting the smell for me. The quality is great, but I've more than enough others to stop trying to force myself to love this. Back in the drawer until I decide what to do with it.
Return of the Baxter's was very pleasant. I can see why some think it greasy/sticky as a little really does go a long way. Shave rescued :giggle:

SOTD 28-Mar
20220325_123023.jpg
Brush: Chubby 2
Soap: NO Plunder
Razor: Rex Ambasador (2)
Blade: GSB (1)

Decent shave this morning, I keep mulling over the Ambassador. Absolutely love the design but keep wondering whether it's wasted on me. Recently I've been keeping to the lower dial notches (3 or below), I feel like I'm not using it to its full potential. Equally so I get perfectly satisfactory shaves from doing so, but no better than many of my fixed razors. I know its just a blade holder and I shouldn't expect anything more, its just something I've been pondering.

Ah well enough contemplation, a good finish and ready for the day ahead!

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

28/03/22
Pre - Shower
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 LE Faux Tortoise
Soap - 1912 Citrus Musk
Razor - Karve Copper C SB
Blade - Wizamet Super Iridium
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Argan Oil
A/S - Wickhams 1912 Citrus Musk
Wk13 (3).JPG
The Karve with C Plate fitted with a top-notch blade just does everything i need from a razor, for me smooth, comfortable and efficient.
I did enjoy that.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

Hi Brian

Yes, very remiss of me !
Well, I didn't cause any bleeding which is always a good thing.
It feels a bit draggy/tuggy, and not altogether smooth. The first use with four days growth was a bit more comfortable.
Perhaps it's me using the wrong angle? Or - the guarded blade isn't a good match for this razor? (Any tips would be greatfuly received, anyone?)
I want to persevere with it though, because the end result is really quite good without irritation, despite the tugging feeling.
I have never used a guarded blade so I can't comment on that. The Univinlion is pretty close to the original in its form. If the razor is held pretty much flat to the face.....you should be able to squeegee the hairs away with no issues. Some of the cheaper clones have a thinner blade holder which needs a bit of angle adjustment for effective use

I have never used a guarded blade so I can't comment on that. The Univinlion is pretty close to the original in its form. If the razor is held pretty much flat to the face.....you should be able to squeegee the hairs away with no issues. Some of the cheaper clones have a thinner blade holder which needs a bit of angle adjustment for effective use
Thank you Brian
I'll persevere and see how it goes with a non guarded blade

Back
Top Bottom