SOTD : Saturday 26th February-Friday 4th March 2022.

A slightly hungover head and face stubble reducer today.

Prep: hot shower.
Pre: Prorasso
Soap: Razorock XXX Fresco
Brush: Yaqi Lucky Dice
Razors: Leaf Thorn (face and pickups) Leaf razor.
Post: Razorock XXX Fresco aftershave and cerave smoothing moisturiser.

The cooling effect of the prorasso and xxx fresco was very much needed this morning. Lovely shave to make me look smooth and a little more respectable.

Afternoon all,

Not shaved for a few days for “reasons”. So a reasonable amount of material to shift!

Prep, flannel and hot water. Proraso pre shave (green one)
Razor, Blackland Blackbird
Blade, Supermax Blue Platinum (2nd use)
Cream, Lea Shaving Cream (blue one)
Brush, Razorock Beehive
A/S, Proraso Green (very annoyed as I was going to try out one of the new Zingari balms I picked up but forgot, pillock)

Absolutely superb shave. A 3 pass shave. I took my time but no issues, cuts / weepers etc. Zero irritation from the application of the A/S. A very nice clean and close shave.

Have a good weekend all!

Best,

Ben H

Last edited:
Today, I unleashed the "Kraken" that is The Man Silver by Milton Lloyd, a perfect clone of the original vintage YSL Kouros. A beast of a scent!!

cr0avJf.jpg

OSP Sandalwood soap
Parker V.1 Injector with "Chick" blade
YaQi Mew Brown 24mm synth

The Parker has earned its way into the front "trench". Perfect one pass DFS every time!! ;)(y)

Prep: none apart from washed face in water from tap into basin.
Brush: Semogue HD Badger
Razor : Rockwell 6S plate R4
Blade: Gillette Nacet- new
Shaving cream : Proraso
ASB; Proraso
AS: Speick.
An absolute shit show in Ukraine caused and organised by a deluded, criminal called Putin.
The wife's family in Ukraine are in the central region of Ukraine, 2 and half hours drive from Kyiv . It is relentless war . 3 pass shave this morning ; I've no problems. I'm trying to source covert bullet proof vests (2 large) as my brother in law has volunteered for civilian duties , has a gun but no body armour. An utter shit show.

Saturday AM 2022-02-26
National Levi Jeans Day (birthdate of Levi Strauss in 1829)
tPxBkpc.jpg

Rooney Stubby 3 Porcelain Finest (26/54)
Ethos Grooming Vanilla Safi shaving soap next
Wolfman WR2-SB/Triad Aristocrat Black
Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Houbigant Fougère Royale aftershave (vintage)

An excellent shave. Great lather was made even better with a few drops of Vanilla Safi aroma blend, and the aftershave - with vanilla in its base notes - matched well. The razor and blade were very smooth.
WQcXlcB.jpg

Saturday 26th February

AM-JKLWm7J6fyBOiiDqYitaLbVxpOdLZgwYrMh5t83bKF8HZK7JZJHMveF_9a7kxhaS-gEMvx_lbElnnDEPBxBc-bu8LYqFTtzHitKvGK7Sq5B0RxozZdpE-kMprzyFgm1LhRDtuxQd-gOpeeDehSOupGz0v-g=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Moon Soaps Amaretto Shaving Cream
Razorock 400 Butterscotch w/Plissoft Noir Synthetic 24mm
Yaqi SE DLC & Treet New Edge (1)
Pinaud Clubman Musk Aftershave Cologne

I'm not sure what to make of some of the product designation going on at Treet. Along with their well known blades, there's a slew of lesser know (certainly in Western markets) like the King, Falcon, New Steel and (tonight) the New Edge. I think some of these are for domestic market and are aimed at, say, older folks who might enjoy the legacy look of the Falcon and King and then there's what I think are aimed at a younger market, with sharper packaging in the New Steel and the New Edge.

The New Steel (a stainless blade) is most certainly the same blade as packaged into the New Double Edge tucks that we see here in the West and so I wonder if the New Edge (a carbon blade) is just the Classic under a different badge. You'd be forgiven for the packaging maybe putting you in mind of the Treet Platinum and I think that is intended. Reading around, folks are suggesting that actually the New Edge is a thinner blade than, say, the Classic and putting together similarities with the old Gillette Thin in the red packs.

In use, I would say that it does feel a tad different to the Classic and if I was being really mean might say it performs just a tick below the Classic ... but we're talking 8/10 (Classic) and 7.9/10 (New Edge). I think the ever so slight difference in performance is perhaps down to the finishing, like one is double stropped and the other stropped the once or something like that. I think the difference is like the Vidyut Stainless in the burgundy pack versus the SuperMax/Vidyut Super Stainless in the V branded blue pack.

I have also read that folks think the New Steel and the New Edge are aimed at the Barbershop market - for professional barbers. That does make some sense and I must say that both the New Steel and this New Edge put me more in mind of other blades that I have used that I know are aimed at professional use. That, and blades like the Classic are clearly aimed at home shavers. So, yes, I'm sticking to my summary that this New Edge carbon steel blade is a tad thinner (it's more flexible) than the Classic and performs just a click below fresh out of the pack.

Enjoyed, largely for that ever so slight rawness compared to the Classic, yet with an equivalent sharpness and certainly a cut (if you like) above the Black Beauty, which is a really very dull blade but seems to shave so smoothly nevertheless. It has a place and I'd say the pecking order is the Black Beauty as the real pleb of the pack, workshop overalls; the New Edge has certainly put on a suit but it a little uncomfortable wearing it whereas the Classic wears the heck out of that suit! The Durasharp, naturally, has a hand stiched custom fit and a posh watch to match. You get what I'm saying ...

Back
Top Bottom