SOTD : Saturday 23th January to Friday 29nd January 2021.

28/01/21

Razor: Blackland Sabre L1
Blade: GEM (5)
Brush: Yaqi 22mm 2B
Soap: DR Harris Sandalwood
Pre: Proraso Red
ASL: Proraso Red
ASB: Floïd

IMG_20210128_195430.jpg

I've really enjoyed using the Sabre and have had consistently good shaves with it. I will own one at some point in the future. Time to retire it though as FEather FEbruary is nearly here.

Thursday 28th January

Soap - Hampshire Wool Fat
Brush - YaqI Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor - YaqI Katana
Blade - 1/2 Gillette Platinum (1)
Post - PuIg Quorum Aftershave

I've only used the Katana a few times, and tonight's shave was my best with it so far *possibly in part thanks to the excellent Hampshire Wool Fat lather.
* User error reared it's head when I attempted an ATG pass on the moustache area - something which is not a problem for me with DE razors. Two small, but persistent weepers which required extra cold rinses and alum to bring under control - and all is well. I'll be a bit more careful in future.
Lesson learned - play with fire and you'll get burnt.
Over all finish is very good, close and irritation free.
Finished with Quorum Aftershave.

Fri 29th SOTD
Soap OSP BayRum
Brush Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky
Razor Yaqi Dual Comb
Blade Astra Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Beautiful lather from the soap! Very nice scent, thick creamy, and slick too. Super nice soft brush!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was very good especially with the OC side whereas the SB side can bite! Made a new-user mistake when putting the SB on the cheek during the start of 1st pass and felt the bite...a half-inch line...hahaha Otherwise, it was a smooth and comfortable shave for 3passes resulting in a mostly bbs to dfs result. Rating 9/10
20210129_070905.jpg
20210129_074141.jpg

20210129_054153.jpg
SOTD 28th Jan - Vintage month
Brush - Razorock Monster 26mm - made a ton of lather with little effort.
Soap - A&E Socal Hipster - sumptuous lather thats so slick and intoxicating scent.
Razor- Gillette Slim Adjustable H1 setting 3,4 then 5. Super smooth yet close finish.
Blade - Super Shave X #2 - smooth and sharp. Solid performer. I do like this blade.
Post - Boots Freshwood ASL and balm - nice way to finish a lovely shave.
Stay safe people and enjoy your shaves

FRIDAY ‌01/29/21 SOTD
Gillette ‘53 Y2 President / Nacet
Above The Tie Silvertip Badger
SV Desert Vetiver Shaving Soap & AS

CShipa1.jpg

Todays Shave Kit Friday 29th Jan 2021

Shave Score 9/10

PreShave: Hot Shower / NIVEA MEN DEEP Anti-Blackhead Scrub
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing Cream (Green)
Soap: Arko Shaving Stick (1st time trying)
Brush: Clear Confidence Co Synthetic Shaving Brush - Vegan-Friendly
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade Gillette London Bridge (4)
Post Shave: Proraso After Shave Green Refreshing
Post Shave Balm: Proraso Aftershave Balm White

Used the Arko stick straight onto face for 1st pass, not amazing, for 2nd and 3rd pass used my heated lather bowl and was much better :)

A lovely 3 pass shave, no nicks or trouble.

Next Gillette blade to be tested is the Super Thin Platinum, and If it's anything like the London Bridge or the Super Blue I'm in for a treat tomorrow :)

s-l1600.jpg

Friday

Phoenix and Beau Star Noir
Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo 24mm synth
Face lather
Gillette New Improved (England, 1921)
Feather (3)
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Fine Snake Bite after shave

An outstanding shave this morning. The early New Improved razors (paradoxically produced before the New) have the reputation of being ‘aggressive'. This certainly is a very assertive fellow indeed. Paired with a Feather, it made for a very smooth finish; carried out with extreme care. It has bitten me previously. Quite possibly my most assertive vintage DE; and after some research from Mr. Razor and others kind enough to submit Gillette dating charts, I'm reasonably confident (but always willing to be corrected) that this dates from circa 1921, with a patent date of 1917. Nice to use it in its centenary year, if (that's) the case.

UPDATE: probably a later year, maybe 1928-9, given the serial number 101124 Y.

B53908CA-3606-4054-A5F6-7227E24E26E6.jpeg

Last edited:
29 January

Fine Platinum
Yaqi Dandelion
Feather AS-D1
Feather Hi-stainless
Fine Platinum asl

9B3708BE-2DD1-4E13-BBB8-EEAAAB5EB7C6.jpeg

No picture today site not allowing upload. Ha! Success... later the same day. I think the file was too large. A cropped image from my iPhone worked okay.
Good shave today. The Feather razor does a fantastic job for a razor with a mild reputation.

Last edited:
29/01/21
Vintage Month - Razor #29
Pre: Shower
Brush: Edwin Jagger Medium
Soap: Faena Dorica
Razor: Rolls Razor - Stainless set 1935
Edge By: @Tony'schin
Post shave: Alum, Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Cinnamon & Patchouli Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Williams Formula 1 original
Wk 4 (8).JPG

I am always a bit apprehensive when i plan to use one of my Rolls kits, no need really.
This kit i adopted from @Blademonkey and it is the most comprehensive set i have, it includes an addressed "thank you for your purchase" letter from Rolls Razors to the original owner in 1935.
I completed a "Pyramid" refresh of this blade on the 5K, 8K & 12K hones then gave it 100 laps on the boxed strop.
A fantastic bowl lather with the little EJ badger and the Faena soap, plenty of slick goodness for the shave. The brush is quite "Floppy" but using just the tips you get a nice scritch on the face when loading, then face paint - lovely.
I Found the angle pretty much straight away and off i went, very smooth WTG and XTG with a little cutting indication when going ATG but not uncomfortable.
I completed 3 full passes for a DFS++ result, nothing from the Alum rub and feeling real comfortable.
A nice post shave with a last minute change to the Williams Splash - it just seemed right?
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

PS - Microsoft Edge let me post pic 1st go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom