SOTD: Saturday 21st March to 27th March 2020

This shave carried the theme 'Dog eat dog'

IMG_20200322_202208.jpg

Fluffy pup - Ikon B1/Windrose handle/Polsilver Lodz
Not a fluffy pup - Ikon Tech/OSS handle/Gillette 7 O'Clock
Bushy tail - Razorock 400
Dog slobber - Signature Soaps Hibernia
Taz tang - ES Duine Fon Choill

For this shave I took the opportunity to put two snarling dogs head to head to ascertain what made me want to buy something beyond normal levels of shaving pleasure and to see if there really is any advantage.

Starting at the preparation level the chosen soap was @BrianH and his wonderful Hibernia to be delivered by a RazoRock 400 once showering and scrubbing etc were taken care of. Great choice Chris and happy bunnies very much the order of the day on this front.

Oh come one, we all love cuddly little bunnies sat in milkshake cups don't we?

No real great plan here and just a case of mix and match and mix and mismatch. Starting off with the Tech and indeed right from the off the warning signs are there, 'respect the blade, respect the razor and respect your own life'. No great deal though as I have been here twice before, taken heed of the warning and treated with kid gloves. Yeh, I know you bad arsed bugger. Concentration and a deft touch is the name of the game.

'Fuck! Ouch!'

And in it digs because I didn't give it 100%. Fortunately nothing more than a slight nick but enough of a wake up call. What it did achieve was to demolished a couple of days growth to a very acceptable level in just a single pass. Plus of course the little nick which makes me look like a 'hard bastard'.......while managing to make me feel quite the fool. No further misadventures and left side happily complete.

Change of weaponry and the B1 which I usually rate as a 'nasty little sod' feels very meek and mild. Still needs full attention but I find myself throwing this thing around like a cat when trying to get a gauge of how big a room actually is. Ask my cats, they are fed up with it. And you know this thing about 'there is more than one way to skin a cat'? Equally as fed up. Back on track in reference to shaving and less of the cat thing (Moggy vs Tech? Method number twelve) and the B1 does an absolute sterling job. Nearly the equal of the Tech but minus the sadomasochistic approach. It puts the B1 in to perspective that, yes, I could happily use it every day and be the smoothest shaven bloke at my address on a regular basis. The two cats are shaking their heads.

It was exactly the same for XTG, ATG passes with the scariest moment being XTG and the Tech. Possibly the scariest moment of the whole shave together with the chin area. The Tech ain't going to take any prisoners here if one makes a mistake and the B1 is doing a damn fine job of being a pseudo wannabe criminal. But I manage to make it to the end without any further collateral damage and I really must say this is one incredibly close and smooth shave. Beyond damn fine, beyond babies bottoms and beyond dolphins. in fact.........

Conclusion. I am not quite sure why Ikon ever made the Tech other than to see how far aggressive can be pushed before it simply becomes a liability and a damage limitation exercise. I do like it and it does stay because it can shift three days of growth like nothing I have met to date. However the B1 can do much the same but with a lesser chance of committing razorcide over the bathroom sink. May be I just like pushing barriers but the Tech certainly is a scary prospect in my little world of shaving. It walks a very fine line between 'Sense and Stupidity'. That little known Jane Austen novel.

So two snarling dogs, only one has rabies

Smooth, Oh yes. Happy, Oh yes, Cut open, Oh yes

Have great shaves all you in this little community and I wish you all the best of health in these challenging days

To cheer you up have some of some of this and a bloke named lady beard who obviously has never heard of an Ikon Tech

Bizarre stuff

Last edited:

View attachment 52801

For this shave I took the opportunity to put two snarling dogs head to head to ascertain what made me want to buy something beyond normal levels of shaving pleasure and to see if there really is any advantage.

Starting at the preparation level the chosen soap was @BrianH and his wonderful Hibernia to be delivered by a RazoRock 400 once showering and scrubbing etc were taken care of. Great choice Chris and happy bunnies very much the order of the day on this front.

No real great plan here and just a case of mix and match and mix and mismatch. Starting off with the Tech and indeed right from the off the warning signs are there, 'respect the blade, respect the razor and respect your own life'. No great deal though as I have been here twice before, taken heed of the warning and treated with kid gloves. Yeh, I know you bad arsed bugger. Concentration and a deft touch is the name of the game.

'Fuck! Ouch!'

And in it digs because I didn't give it 100%. Fortunately nothing more than a slight nick but enough of a wake up call. What it did achieve was to demolished a couple of days growth to a very acceptable level in just a single pass. Plus of course the little nick which makes me look like a 'hard bastard'.......while managing to make me feel quite the fool. No further misadventures and left side happily complete.

Change of weaponry and the B1 which I usually rate as a 'nasty little sod' feels very meek and mild. Still needs full attention but I find myself throwing this thing around like a cat when trying to get a gauge of how big a room actually is. Ask my cats, they are fed up with it. And you know this thing about 'there is more than one way to skin a cat'? Equally as fed up. Back on track in reference to shaving and less of the cat thing (Moggy vs Tech? Method number twelve) and the B1 does an absolute sterling job. Nearly the equal of the Tech but minus the sadomasochistic approach. It puts the B1 in to perspective that, yes, I could happily use it every day and be the smoothest shaven bloke at my address on a regular basis. The two cats are shaking their heads.

It was exactly the same for XTG, ATG passes with the scariest moment being XTG and the Tech. Possibly the scariest moment of the whole shave together with the chin area. The Tech ain't going to take any prisoners here if one makes a mistake and the B1 is doing a damn fine job of being a pseudo wannabe criminal. But I manage to make it to the end without any further collateral damage and I really must say this is one incredibly close and smooth shave. Beyond damn fine, beyond babies bottoms and beyond dolphins. in fact.........

Conclusion. I am not quite sure why Ikon ever made the Tech other than to see how far aggressive can be pushed before it simply becomes a liability and damage limitation exercise. I do like it and it does stay because it can shift three days of growth like nothing I have met to date. However the B1 can do much the same but with a lesser chance of committing razorcide over the bathroom sink. May be I just like pushing barriers but the Tech certainly is a scary prospect in my little world of shaving. It walks a very fine line between 'Sense and Stupidity'. That little known Jane Austen novel.

Have great shaves all you in this little community and I wish you all the best of health in these challenging days

To cheer you up have some of some of this and a bloke named lady beard who obviously has never heard of an Ikon Tech

Bizarre stuff
Thanks Chris , great insight !

View attachment 52801

'Fuck! Ouch!'

Conclusion. I am not quite sure why Ikon ever made the Tech other than to see how far aggressive can be pushed before it simply becomes a liability and damage limitation exercise. I do like it and it does stay because it can shift three days of growth like nothing I have met to date. However the B1 can do much the same but with a lesser chance of committing razorcide over the bathroom sink. May be I just like pushing barriers but the Tech certainly is a scary prospect in my little world of shaving. It walks a very fine line between 'Sense and Stupidity'. That little known Jane Austen novel.

Bizarre stuff
Bizarre indeed! I needed a giggle and you delivered, thank you :) P.

Monday 23rd March

Simpson Berkeley - Scottish Fine Soaps Traditional - WWII GEM Junior/GEM SS PTFE - Iceberg 2 EDT

3 passes for a fantastic shave

Posts will become less frequent over the coming days. I have a few days off and then will be moving on to a new rota which will involve longer hours working on my own. When I get sick....someone else will take over. The service has to continue.

Monday 23rd March

Simpson Berkeley - Scottish Fine Soaps Traditional - WWII GEM Junior/GEM SS PTFE - Iceberg 2 EDT

Posts will become less frequent over the coming days. I have a few days off and then will be moving on to a new rota which will involve longer hours working on my own. When I get sick....someone else will take over. The service has to continue.
The service has to continue but not at the cost of your wellbeing I hope, take care. P.

Monday 23rd March

I know the feeling. Back in to work Thursday here and probably be captive for the week.

Keep up the good work all of you who have to continue through whatever

View attachment 52801

'Fuck! Ouch!'

Conclusion. I am not quite sure why Ikon ever made the Tech other than to see how far aggressive can be pushed before it simply becomes a liability and a damage limitation exercise. I do like it and it does stay because it can shift three days of growth like nothing I have met to date. However the B1 can do much the same but with a lesser chance of committing razorcide over the bathroom sink. May be I just like pushing barriers but the Tech certainly is a scary prospect in my little world of shaving. It walks a very fine line between 'Sense and Stupidity'. That little known Jane Austen novel.

Bizarre stuff

Fantastic, love your shaves, keep up the good work :) :cool:

View attachment 52801

'Fuck! Ouch!'

Bizarre stuff
Take care and keep on producing your finely crafted descriptions for our entertainment during these difficult times.

Date:- 24 March 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Eventide
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #11
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Monday 23rd March

Take Care and hope all stays good for you.
MikeB

24/03/20

Razor: RR Hawk V2
Blade: Schick Proline (9)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Soap: TOBS Eton College
Pre: Proraso White
ASL: Superdrug Sierran Breeze
ASB: RSC

IMG_20200322_084923.jpg

My final shave with the Hawk for a while and I'm mightily impressed with this razor. A fine finish from two passes and it's so nimble to use. My two favourite TOBS scents are Sandalwood and Eton College. I think the Eton College just takes first place of the two. I may treat myself to the cologne one day.

Back
Top Bottom