SOTD: Saturday 20 April - Friday 26 April 2024.

SOTD: 22/04/2024

Razor: Schick Injector E3
Blade: Schick Injector, 8th use
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Kikier Ceramic Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Green Cream
Soap: Shulton Old Spice Stick
Aftershave: Pitralon Classic Aftershave
Additional Care: Osma Alum
Additional Care: Cold Water

Have a nice Monday!

Monday 22 April
Thought I would have an Occams shave comparison today with my Enoch and Lee’s @LeeMaz OREN. Both top notch ac razors and not that easy to get hold of today. Having used them on separate occasions I had already concluded there isn‘t really any discernible difference between them in terms of performance, however choice of blade does matter. I put a Schick Proline in the Enoch and Feather Pro in OREN, lathered up and applied Enoch to left cheek and OREN to right cheek. Whilst this comparison isn’t laboratory perfect science, purely on feel the Schick was smoother compared to the Feather which was a tad rough.
To be clear, both blades did the job, bbs in 2 passes plus pick ups and both razors are top notch, so why I hear you asking do this? Well, otherwise you might have only got a foto to look at. I shall repeat this vital experiment tomorrow with the blades swapped over :oops:
Have a fine day fellas!

IMG_8999.jpeg

Monday 22 April
Thought I would have an Occams shave comparison today with my Enoch and Lee’s @LeeMaz OREN. Both top notch ac razors and not that easy to get hold of today. Having used them on separate occasions I had already concluded there isn‘t really any discernible difference between them in terms of performance, however choice of blade does matter. I put a Schick Proline in the Enoch and Feather Pro in OREN, lathered up and applied Enoch to left cheek and OREN to right cheek. Whilst this comparison isn’t laboratory perfect science, purely on feel the Schick was smoother compared to the Feather which was a tad rough.
To be clear, both blades did the job, bbs in 2 passes plus pick ups and both razors are top notch, so why I hear you asking do this? Well, otherwise you might have only got a foto to look at. I shall repeat this vital experiment tomorrow with the blades swapped over :oops:
Have a fine day fellas!

View attachment 119662
Interesting read.
I am glad I am not alone in running mad little experiments.
The results may mean nothing to anyone else but to me it makes perfect sense and I learn a lot about what I like and what matches well.

22 April

Sterling Campania
Mühle Classic L
Tatara Masamune Nodachi
Feather Hi-Stainless
Men’s Grooming Vetiver and Sandalwood balm

IMG_0972.jpeg
A superb combination of accoutrements this morning. A lovely rich lather and two comfortable close passes leaving me one very happy bunny. All change tomorrow.

20240422_110639.jpg

My Artisinal April Shave & Menthol Monday Shave today consisted of...
Prep Hot shower with Tingly Mint Gel.
Brush Razorock Beehive synthetic.
Soap Master soap creations Frosted Spearmint.
Razors Leaf & Charcoal Goods Brass Stinger Plate 3.
Blade Nacet.
Aftershave Master soap creations Frosted Spearmint.

I have seen previous posts about Menthol Monday and wanted to jump on the band wagon, this decision along with the arrival of my new brushes made it hard work to stick with Artisinal April but I broke out the Stinger and at least that fitted the bill perfectly.

The Menthol hit from the Frosted Spearmint made my eyes water oooo lovely and the new Beehive brush was lovely on the face but it did need more water on the brush than I'm used to. It's all good now I know if you squeeze it then the brush will be bone dry.

A cracking shave from superb gear and I am well an truly frozen :LOL:

Enjoy this rare and lovely warm day everyone.

Sunshine GIF

Razor - EJ89 3D Diamond
Blade - Astra (3)
Brush - ES synthetic
Soap - Arko stick

Mixed shave… a bit difficult, but the results are great… maybe a testament to the efficacy of the Clinique soother.
Getting the hang of the EJ 89. I think it needs a bit more of the angle of the dangle compared to the Timor. I still think it’s a tiny bit more aggressive. But, I don’t think the Astras are for me. I have a few other blades to try out, then it may be back to the Personna.

Face lathering with the Arko gives me a warm fuzzy feeling (as with the LEA stick). I wouldn’t mind becoming a stick/face lathering devotee… except for all the other soaps/creams I have…

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_4902.jpeg
SOTD: 21/04/2024

Razor: Wolfman WR1 0.86mm
Blade: Astra SP, 2nd use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Acqua di Parma Barbiere Soft Shaving Cream Cream
Aftershave: Aqua Di Gio EDT
Balm: The Inkey List Vitamin B, C And E Moisturiser Balm

The second shave was much improved, I was a little more comfortable with the razor and cautious with my angle of attack and got a nice bbs in 3 without the need for any pickups. This is a really lovely piece and I can easily see how people want one of these as if you hit the right settings for you you’d probably not want anything else! Many thanks Alan @ekeko

22/04/24
Pre - Dove Original Beauty Cream Bar
Brush - Erasmic AP Shave Co Gelousy Bulb 20mm
Soap - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Razor - Edwin Jagger DE86bl
Blade - Personna Lab Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
A/S - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Wk 17 (3).jpg
The Edwin Jagger is a great piece of kit, today fitted with a Lab Blue it delivered a very comfortable, close shave.
Spot on that.
Enjoy your day all.

Monday 22nd April

AP1GczM2-BtDMG4Vy15lUUQAlW318Ct-criuI-ESp7IGhMEYvK9FHZigdGrU30bKgb5aXHO9qm-xA6x174HngdT7-ePW1dfX6pxWwP8bnepYeRydX72UopypB8l8VrU5W5UOV9yZ4y6NLkjJo5FeyQaXnhyIrg=w800

Floris 89 (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Omega 98 Professional Pure Bristle
Ever-Ready Streamline (1930s) & GEM by Personna (6)
Floid Black Aftershave

Cracking the seal on this vintage Floris shaving bowl which I believe dates back to the 1980s when Floris first fell off the tallow formulation. The Stearate-rich formulation is in keeping with Culmak and Boots of the era whom I believe shared a very similar formulation. Lovely lather!

First try of the Scottish Fine Soaps shaving soaps. Took a chance on a pack of five of these, cheap, based on the ingredients list. I used @pjgh 's excellent formulations thread to make an educated punt on them and I got a very decent lather easily. A mild herbal woody scent to my uneducated nose.

Good lad! I'm glad somebody worthy bought these - I had them in my watch list for a couple of sale rotations. Indeed, it's a good 'un! I tried this soap as part of a blind test back in about 2015 and at the time swore blind that it was MWF. In many respects, without the "doesn't lather" issue it's a better soap than classic MWF. Damn good, that mate.

SFS moved on successive Palmate formulations hereafter. This is the Tallowate formulation mentioned in my guide.

22/4/24

Soap - Martin de Cadre Vetyver
Brush - Yaqi Cashmere 20mm
Razor - Unknown OC
Blade - Suneko (1)
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum w/Menthol

I went against my usual rules, and I tried two new products in one shave. When I first started posting on forums MdC was the top soap, but over the years a number of artisan producers have come along and MdC seems to be still highly rated but it's no longer the top dog, but one of the top performers. It had the reputation of a small amount going a long way, and that was clear from the start. The lather seems to explode whilst loading the brush from the get go, and it's incredibly easy to build a lather on the face. This is where my problems started :( I could feel a bit of burning on the face, which is odd as I've used vetyver based products before with no problems. The lather itself, it builds really easily and it's a good lather and it performed really well in the shave, but it was a decent lather but not an exceptional one. I will give it another go, but the rest of the sample will be going into my PIF pile.
Now onto the blade, I was pleasantly surprised with the Suneko. It's not the sharpest blade I have used, it's nowhere as sharp as Nacet as some seem to suggest, but it was smooth and efficient in this OC razor which is quickly becoming one of my all time favourites.

1000013869.jpg

Back
Top Bottom