SOTD Saturday 19th Sept to Friday 25th Sept 2020

Date:- 21 September 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike's Natural ~ Bay Rum
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Voskhod #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5)

Last night's SOTD...

IMG_20200920_164206.jpg

Wolfman WR2 (on loan)
Gillette Silver Blue
Saponificio Varesino 2.0
Los Jabones de Joserra Viriato
Lúcudo aftershave

My 50th Birthday is coming up next March so I had the bright idea of treating myself to a Wolfman. I mentioned my grand plain on one of the Wolfman threads (on the other forum) and as per usually the replies were very helpful. One reply was from all round super nice guy @halvor offering to send me his WR2 to try. I took him up on his very kind offer…

The Wolfman arrived Saturday afternoon and frankly I'm still reeling . On opening the parcel the only words I could muster were ‘'WOW!...wow, wow''….To say I was impress was an understatement. I've used most high end razors and nothing comes close to this. It's 10's cross the board.

THE RAZOR: I loaded a new GSB blade. This is usually a very smooth blade but found it a bit tuggy on the first pass (I'd got 3 days growth BTW). This wasn't an issue on the second and third pass though.

You need to be switched on at all times when using this razor. The blade gap is 1.15mm and not (super scary) aggressive but you know there's a decent gap there. I've used smoother razors WTG and XTG but strangely enough I found it very smooth ATG. This is also the loudest razor I've used. It was very efficient and comfortable.

This is only the first time using it but I can imagine me going for a smaller blade gap. It's been a while since I've had a shave which has made such an impression on me. 24 hours later and I'm still struggling to find the words.

THE SOAP: It's testament to the Los Jabones de Joserra soap that I could fully concentrate on the razor and the shave. I found it extremely easy to load and create a decent lather. None of that ‘low structure' nonsense here. The word which came to mind was ‘rich'.
Scent was good too, nothing overpowering or too weak. A classy masculine cologne. It does remind me of something but I can't place it. The scent did last for a couple of hours after the shave which doesn't happen very often in my experience. It performed well on all accounts, slickness, protection and post shave.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Creightons shave cream is one of those very inexpensive items that seems to go under the radar, but it does a good job.
It has quite a nice scent too, very clean and pleasant. Post Shave is good too.
For sub £2 a tube, I recommend the inquisitive to give it a go.
Don't creightons produce most of the London (GFT, TOBS etc) creams?

Razor - Merkur 34G
Blade - Treet Platinum (2)
Post - Kouros AS followed by moisturiser

Usual confutable two and bit pass shave.

Captain Fawcett's wash bag…

Following yesterday's shave with Captain Fawcett's own personalised bowl of shaving soap, today I have tried out the shaving cream he had in his wash bag. Again demonstrating great taste, this was a Daines & Hathaway tan hide military roll case. In addition to the cream, it also contained a 1912 Gem razor, a single (now rusted) blade, an Ever-Ready blade bank, another one of his monogramed brushes (with some sort of animal hair knot that is almost exactly like a modern synthetic! Wow!), also a re-useable condom :eek: of the type favoured back in the day (which I didn't try out) and finally a small bottle of aftershave lotion. No, not Old Spice, but it does have a ship on it so who gives a shite, right?

So, how did it perform? Well, I decided not to use the Gem razor and instead used Fawcett's ivory/gold EJDE89 with a Gillette Nacet blade, and focused my interest on the shaving cream and aftershave.

Overall, a very pleasurable experience. The cream had a slight but relaxing fragrance and it lathered well and didn't disappear into the ether within a few minutes. Good cushion too, but nothing remarkable in terms of performance or scent. Overall, it had more of a scent than Captain Fawcett's hard soap but didn't perform quite as well IMHO.

The aftershave - 'Veleiro' - is a splash that has the colour of urine...but don't worry, it's more of a light amber...you know...healthy urine(y)
It's scent is a little fruity...it reminded me of pears for some reason and it complemented the shaving cream really well, leaving a good face-feel.

Here's a photo...I decided to leave the re-usable condom out as I'm aware that it's tea-time for some...

Washbag2.jpg

BTW...If anyone wants to buy a vintage re-useable condom? ...er, no? OK, I'll probably just PIF it then:)

Have a great evening all;)(y)

Monday AM 2020-09-21
National Respect for the Aged Day
D944dlB.jpg

Rooney 1/1 Faux Horn Finest (22/45)
Dusy Kabinett shaving soap
LASSC BBS-1/UFO Colibri (L-Twist)
Polsilver Super Iridium (6)
Hemingway Accoutrements aftershave
VWxqEcY.jpg

Don't creightons produce most of the London (GFT, TOBS etc) creams?

Razor - Merkur 34G
Blade - Treet Platinum (2)
Post - Kouros AS followed by moisturiser

Usual confutable two and bit pass shave.

They produce the T&H No10 range - not sure about others though?

They produce the T&H No10 range - not sure about others though?
Found this thread in a forum :

With this post suggesting it is creighton :-

"Most of the really top shelf English shave creams are, today, physically compounded and packed by an outfit called Creightons, located in England, but not in London. Small specialty firms like Trumpers, turned to them when it simply became undoable for them to meet the demand by compounding the creams themselves on the premises, as they had always done. Creighton makes the various creams to the client's specific formula and specifications, hence, all the Creighton manufactured creams are not 'the same'. There are a few exceptions however. Floris still may, verywell, make their own. They definately make their own soaps. Salters and Castle Forbes creams do not seem to be Creighton made products, and there may be a couple of others. But, for the most part, Creightons is the 'go-to' firm for the actual manufacture of top shelf traditional shave creams in Britain.
Regards,
Gordon"

Last night's SOTD...

View attachment 59701

Wolfman WR2 (on loan)
Gillette Silver Blue
Saponificio Varesino 2.0
Los Jabones de Joserra Viriato
Lúcudo aftershave

My 50th Birthday is coming up next March so I had the bright idea of treating myself to a Wolfman. I mentioned my grand plain on one of the Wolfman threads (on the other forum) and as per usually the replies were very helpful. One reply was from all round super nice guy @halvor offering to send me his WR2 to try. I took him up on his very kind offer…

The Wolfman arrived Saturday afternoon and frankly I'm still reeling . On opening the parcel the only words I could muster were ‘'WOW!...wow, wow''….To say I was impress was an understatement. I've used most high end razors and nothing comes close to this. It's 10's cross the board.

THE RAZOR: I loaded a new GSB blade. This is usually a very smooth blade but found it a bit tuggy on the first pass (I'd got 3 days growth BTW). This wasn't an issue on the second and third pass though.

You need to be switched on at all times when using this razor. The blade gap is 1.15mm and not (super scary) aggressive but you know there's a decent gap there. I've used smoother razors WTG and XTG but strangely enough I found it very smooth ATG. This is also the loudest razor I've used. It was very efficient and comfortable.

This is only the first time using it but I can imagine me going for a smaller blade gap. It's been a while since I've had a shave which has made such an impression on me. 24 hours later and I'm still struggling to find the words.

THE SOAP: It's testament to the Los Jabones de Joserra soap that I could fully concentrate on the razor and the shave. I found it extremely easy to load and create a decent lather. None of that ‘low structure' nonsense here. The word which came to mind was ‘rich'.
Scent was good too, nothing overpowering or too weak. A classy masculine cologne. It does remind me of something but I can't place it. The scent did last for a couple of hours after the shave which doesn't happen very often in my experience. It performed well on all accounts, slickness, protection and post shave.

Cheers
Rob

And a great choice of musical accompaniment

Tell me. This Kate Bush. Can she sing in Japanese?

And this evening (or even yesterday's evening) brought with it the theme 'Just get on with it will you and cut the crap'

IMG_20200920_201923.jpg

Occams Enoch
Titan Mild
Silver Birch 30mm Cashmere
Martin De Candre Rose
Czech and Speake No.88

Another run out with the big brush and another wonderfully successful lathering exercise. In conversation with the soap all I could hear was 'Feed me feed me'. Three swirls and enough lather to shave the 5000. I do have to ask, 'This Martin De Candre. Is it a soap for life?' as it appears to have never gone down.

'Only another 4999 to go Chris'
Ding dong, happy days.

So a most bodacious of shaves and another brilliant turn out for the big boy. So smooth my ladies fan club have come out in admiration and in the hope of getting a peek of my rack at the same time.

Does it get worse? No, but it does get Japanese. More of those girls live from some school hall. I also found out they are somewhat fictitious and actually formed out of a short film they starred in. So I've included the film in to the bargain.

Sotd-21-09-20.jpg

Razor - Alu Karve - D plate
blade - Nacet (?9) - still going - not for much longer though
soap - Vitos Supercrema - tallow
brush - Semogue Torga boar
post - witch hazel
a/s - Epsilon Blue
balm - none
scent - none.

I love the smell of almonds in the morning - smells like? - victory. With apologies to Robert Duvall. A soap like this - you need to use a boar brush - it is the law in several European countries. Unless - of course you avoid animal products - fair enough - each to their own. I'm not sure you can get this soap anymore - in this form - might have been reformulated - as seems to be the way of things. All good - enjoy yours - I.

@Kevy - I would like to apologise - to you for my comments on your post recently - I do stand by my words - but there was no need to express them out loud - so to speak. Opinions are like arseholes - we all have them. You are entitled to yours - I am entitled to mine. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom