SOTD : Saturday 19th June to Friday 25th June 2021.

"A bad worker, or should i say an in-experienced one always blames his tools...I had a bad experience with a Derby extra blade when i first started out, which nearly reverted me back to using cartridge razors, but i realised it was my lack of technique & shaving confidence that was the problem, not the Derby extra blade.
And a Craftsman knows to upgrade to superior tools that last a lifetime of use.

I'm with you on the Derby @Scotshave . It's tainted by the inadequacies of of new wet shavers rather than being the bad blade some believe! Why do so many include in a bundle I wonder:unsure:
I think ‘inadequacies’ is a bit derogatory and sounds somewhat elitist, imo. I understand where you’re coming from; but remember, we’ve all been there. Inadequacy and want of practice aren’t the same things…

"A bad worker, or should i say an in-experienced one always blames his tools...I had a bad experience with a Derby extra blade when i first started out, which nearly reverted me back to using cartridge razors, but i realised it was my lack of technique & shaving confidence that was the problem, not the Derby extra blade.

And a Craftsman knows to upgrade to superior tools that last a lifetime of use.

I think ‘inadequacies’ is a bit derogatory and sounds somewhat elitist, imo. I understand where you’re coming from; but remember, we’ve all been there. Inadequacy and want of practice aren’t the same things…
@Scotshave, you're right that inadequacies sounds harsh, but I would say my technique (and by association, me) was inadequate at the start. It was only when I joined this forum and picked up tips that I moved my shave on to the next level. My initial shaves would have been poor with just about anything (hence my current return to the Tech to improve my shave with it.) Only 7 months in on here and still listening!
I've kept most of the 100 Derbys I had, still give them a run-out and they're a decent middle of the road blade for me. The only blade I've revisited and still rejected outright has been the Shark Stainless, and again I'd never say that it was crap per se, just that I dislike it intensely and there are blades that work far better for me.

The only blade I've revisited and still rejected outright has been the Shark Stainless, and again I'd never say that it was crap per se, just that I dislike it intensely and there are blades that work far better for me.

Sharks are a weird one. I think over the years I've issues with consistency or they might be quite razor specific.

Thursday

Palmolive stick
RazoRock Disrupter 22mm synth
Face lather
Gillette Aluminium Tech (England, late 1960s)
Derby Extra (1)
Proraso M&E after shave

It’s coming up for 6 years since I began this odyssey and I thought it was time to take stock today. So, with a couple of unavoidable modifications, I tried to re-create my first DE shave. The Tech is the very first vintage DE cutlery that I bought; and it’s the same blade that came with it (well, from the same tuck).

The brush is different, of course. The original was an EJ Medium Best Badger; which was unpredictable and incredibly floppy (oo-er).

Same soap, but different stick. Same after shave, different bottle (previously the 100ml). 2 pass shave, rather than three.

What’s the point of this nostalgia, I hear some of you ask? Well, dear readers, more than a few have derided the Derby blade; and I have to confess, using the razor, blade and soap combination above left me with a face like a chittering Cenobite from Hellraiser back in the early days of this.

So, fast forward. Are Derby blades that wanky? Or is it naivety and crap noob (Jesus, I never thought I’d use that term, peeps. Fuck…or that one) technique?

Anyways, hardly revelatory; but the latter, for me. Today’s shave was as smooth and as comfy as any I’ve had recently. I also think (and I believe I’ve offered this observation before; along with other contributors) that the Derbys are the blades that we often come to first in DE land. Sellers will often, well-meaningly, throw a tuck in at point of purchase. Thus, we try them in our maiden shaves and, if it doesn’t go as planned, the Derbys are consigned elsewhere.

Well, mileage and all that; but for what it’s worth, I think they’re absolutely fine.

Thank you all for reading possibly my most verbose offering in here, incidentally.

View attachment 72260
You know the deal, a razor's a razor, a blade's a blade, if you get a bad shave the one to blame is that guy in the mirror.

I couldn't even get them to work through the Lord L6 razor they came with :oops: :cry:

Balls, now I've got to go and dig that razor out and revisit it to confirm if I rated it poorly due to my ineptitude :rolleyes:;)

I'd say leave them for a while, keep on enjoying your shaves with the Tech and the blades which work well with it.

Too much chopping and changing can take away from the pleasure.

My package arrived from Phoenix Az. So my shave was very 'woody'. My Mrs wasn't keen at all on the smell of the soap itself, but the overall result was acceptable to her. I thought it was a nice overall sniff. The lather though, bloody immense - couldn't fault the lather from a 5 sec swish on the soap! Mug filled and overflowing!
Next to try some of the sample s that were also ordered!IMG_20210623_232553.jpg

Thursday AM 2021-06-24
First reported UFO sighting on this date, 1947
8d3L6xr.jpg

Rooney Beehive Ivory Finest (24/50)
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 shaving cream
Haircut & Shave P076-SB Copper
Gillette Stainless Steel 'Spoiler' (11)
Calvin Klein Obsession aftershave
LV7wa9D.jpg

Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Wednesday 23rd June 2021

Shave Score 10.0/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower
PreShave: PAA The Cube 2.0 "Menthol"
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Glastonbury
Brush: Yaqi 24mm - Atlantis
Razor: SNMIRN DE Adjustable Razor (4,4,4)
Blade: Personna Tomy (2)
Post Shave ASL:Stirling Soap Co. Glastonbury
Post Shave Balm: Stirling Soap Co. Glastonbury
Post Shave Cologne: Penhaligons - Cairo

The Tomy was still amazing, this is my holy grail blade, now if it turns out the amazon blades I have coming today are also Personna Tomy's you all should expect a few hundred blades for sale on her very shortly :)

Turned the SNMIRN Razor up to 4 today and its almost perfect, might try setting it to 4.5 tomorrow :)

Have a great day all.

Joe

View attachment 72182
I love the Glastonbury soap scent, but what is the splash like? Anywhere near the soap scent?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom