SOTD : Saturday 16th January to Friday 22nd January 2021.

View attachment 63358

Yesterday -

prep - facial scrub
razor - ATT Calypso - R plate
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Chub 1 best
soap - Proraso sandalwood
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid mentally vigorous
blam - Floid
scent - Eau Sauvage parfum.

The most nervous type of shave - a funeral to attend - running late, as always - need to shave. Thinking about it later - I needn't have bothered - what with that part of my face being covered for the duration - but - if you are going to put on your best suit - actually my only suit, you want the whole effect? Even if you haven't drawn claret for years - if it is ever going to happen it will be a situation like this - just when you really really don't need to hurt yourself. This actually happened to me a couple of years ago - using a Schick! - of all razors. A virtual impossibility you would have thought? Nope - I did it - still don't know how - in my experience - the very safest of safety razor designs. Muppet. Got away with it yesterday thankfully - helped by the admirable Calypso no end. I - as have we all - experienced some weird shit since last March - but a lock-down funeral was without doubt the oddest and most unsettling experience of the lot. Of the 20 allowed mourners - virtually all of them my closest blood relatives - but with the exception of your partner - no one is allowed to touch. No handshakes, no hugs. Separated out in a freezing cold, next to empty crematorium chapel. I fully understand why - but it was odd none the less. The wake postponed until? Joins the list of communal gathering we can't have at the moment - which in the case of a funeral is normally a natural part of the grieving process - the swapping of memories and stories - and of course - the consumption of large amounts of whisky. So - to that end - let's all pay attention - stay safe. Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.
Take care Ian

Sun 17th January

Stirling Syn.26mm
Lea Classic Cream
Occams Hiram Commander -2dot
Schick Proline [ 6 ]
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

Doing a bit of a clear out and decided that I would for a change use a cream, rather than my usual soap. I have a few rather sad looking tail ends of tubes left and chose the Lea Classic. As usual used too much but it ensured that the Shave was smooth, in fact it was rather nice and the finish a bit of a Face Stroker. The Razor did not suffer from clogging as it is so easy to rinse and keep it clean. I think I ought to slowly clear out the creams by using them on the odd occasion.

IMG_1290.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday 17th January

Oumo 24mm SHD Manchurian - MdC Original - Katana/Gillette London Bridge - Guerlain Habit Rouge

A very nice result....so a lovely Sunday morning shave.....however the jury is still out on the London Bridge blade.
Normally when I shave with the Katana ...the 3rd pass is just sheer indulgence but todaya third pass was required
to get to the minimum standard required. The blade was not buttery smooth and almost felt as if it needed a shave
to break it in. Time will tell.....but initial impressions are not the best.

Last edited:
View attachment 63358

Yesterday -

prep - facial scrub
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Chub 1 best
post - witch hazel
blam - Floid

The most nervous type of shave - a funeral to attend - running late, as always - need to shave. Thinking about it later - I needn't have bothered - what with that part of my face being covered for the duration - but - if you are going to put on your best suit - actually my only suit, you want the whole effect? Even if you haven't drawn claret for years - if it is ever going to happen it will be a situation like this - just when you really really don't need to hurt yourself. This actually happened to me a couple of years ago - using a Schick! - of all razors. A virtual impossibility you would have thought? Nope - I did it - still don't know how - in my experience - the very safest of safety razor designs. Muppet. Got away with it yesterday thankfully - helped by the admirable Calypso no end. I - as have we all - experienced some weird shit since last March - but a lock-down funeral was without doubt the oddest and most unsettling experience of the lot. Of the 20 allowed mourners - virtually all of them my closest blood relatives - but with the exception of your partner - no one is allowed to touch. No handshakes, no hugs. Separated out in a freezing cold, next to empty crematorium chapel. I fully understand why - but it was odd none the less. The wake postponed until? Joins the list of communal gathering we can't have at the moment - which in the case of a funeral is normally a natural part of the grieving process - the swapping of memories and stories - and of course - the consumption of large amounts of whisky. So - to that end - let's all pay attention - stay safe. Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

So sorry to hear of your loss Iain. Take care mate. Hopefully sooner rather than later you can raise a glass (or two) to their memory with the rest of your family. - Rob

View attachment 63323View attachment 63324

Shave of the day 16 January 2021

Razor - ATT Windsor M Cu
Blade = Souplex
Soap - Valobra Cologne
Brush - Alpha Outlaw Cu Silvertip
Post - Thayer's Astringent
Frag - Pour Un Homme De Caron

The ATT Windsor M razor is very mild indeed, even moreso than the Feather AS-D2 but when paired with a Souplex blade it is still able to give a very good shave and today was no exception.
The Valobra soap is top draw and will remain one of my top performing soaps.
Today's Frag that only I
will smell is Pour Un Homme De Caron, a top fragrance that there will always be space for in my line up of frags! :)

Have a great weekend and take care of yourselves.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
Hope you're doing ok mate? Great to see you back.

A wonderful SOTD post....

A couple of questions. What is the 'effect' on the brush handle? It looks stunning.

Also what pen is it?

Cheers Rob

20210116_165400.jpg
SOTD 16th Jan Vintage Month
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia - usual lathering best
Soap - WSP Citrus Blast- super slick lather and refreshing scent to boot
Razor - 1976 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip - smooth and mild operator
Blade - Super Shave X #2 - not convinced yet. Either this or my Post shave caused irritation.
Post - P&B Spitfire - amazing scent and usually performs well.

Not my usual shave today. Think its the blade but not 100% sure. From 1st pass the shave felt rough. The blade is very sharp but for me I'm not sure it's smooth. Got 2 more shaves with it in the Star and the Tech.
The lather though from the WSP soap was beautiful.
Take care everyone.

Sunday's Shave

Pre: Argan Oil Soap
Soap: Laugar Älvdans
Brush: 26mm TDR Synbad Knot
Razor: Manaslu 205 Straight Razor
Splash: Quorum
Balm: Bart's Unscented
EDT: Azzaro Pour Homme

View attachment 63371

Really enjoying the Laugar Soaps they are great in every department , but for me really excel in residual slickness and post shave.

The Manaslu is always a great shave.
How are you finding the Laugar Russ?

View attachment 63358

Yesterday -

prep - facial scrub
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Chub 1 best
post - witch hazel
blam - Floid

My thoughts are with you, Iain.

Back
Top Bottom