SOTD : Saturday 16th January to Friday 22nd January 2021.

The question in my mind.....was the shave really bad.....and if so .....why???? I as so shocked, I hadn't missed the Japanese ladies!

Bad, bad? Unbelievably brilliant to be honest. All in the theme. And in a Donny Osmond mood.

Hadn't missed the Japanese ladies? I am gutted. You need some therapy

Saturday AM 2021-01-16
National Religious Freedom Day
kE6OmLB.jpg

Rooney 1/2 Faux Horn Finest (24/50)
Acqua di Parma Colonia soft shaving soap (vintage)
Haircut & Shave P076-SB 17-4
Polsilver Super Iridium (6)
Ginger's Garden Colonia aftershave
N8kIPot.jpg

SOTD 16/01/21

Pre-shave:
Kiehl's Facial Wash, followed by cold water splash.
Cream: Bluebeards Revenge (sample).
Brush: Shavemac 'The Flat Top' Silvertip.
Razor: Above The Tie Windsor SS-R1 (Bamboo handle).
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock (Green) (Day 1).
Post: Cold water splash, D. R. Harris Pink Aftershave Splash.

The ATT SS-R1 go its first run out when SWMBO and I were lucky enought to get a holiday in Antalya, last Septemeber; my first impression was an olay razor in terms of performance, it was not up to my usual experiences of ATT - it did not seem to sing with the right shave angle, nor did it feel that smooth or efficient - it was not a bad first impression, but lacking compared to what I had come to expect from ATT.

Today, I had planned a late shave, listen to the football, followed by a long soak in the bath, with more football. I had a sachet of the Bluebeards revenge shave cream and wanted to try a different razor, and decided to revisit the ATT SS-R1; one of the omments which drew me to that razor was 'it clamps the blade so tight - its like a SE shave with a DE'.

The Bluebeards Revenge whipped up into a lovely, slick, protective lather - joyfull.

The joyfullness did not last long; Ross County put 1 past Aberdeen in the first minute of the game.

Joy quickly returned - the first WTG pass felt delightful: smooth, comfortable, 1 and 1/2 days stubble nearly gone. A second XTG pass (face) with a ATG pass on the neck, gave a BBS finish.

A good splash of the D. R. Harris Pink to seal the skin felt wonderful - jumped into the bath hoping for an Aberdeen win.

I am so pleased on this shave that I gave the ATT SS-R1 another go - I had used it since returning from holiday and while it felt better, it still felt as if it lacked in experience. Not sure what happened today - I had been using the Blackland Tradere OC, and that helped improve my technique as I was using less pressure - perhaps my mussle memory helped i.e. using less pressure now with the ATT SS-R1 than before? Anyway, the shave gods must have aligned. - as I type, my skin still feels wonderful.

17:49 Ross County 4 - Aberdeen FC 1 - fair play to Ross County, their win takes them off of the bottom of the league.

Enjoy the weekend all, I hope everyone is safe, sane and well.

Chris

Saturday 16th January

ACtC-3d0Wle1s_j03_k_Hvb6QQxlZ_YYWaTinFALlmt8kcjK41WQ8ZOpUr1aAo1wf5xqpa-64XYCi__kMfp8T-eaRaUlEGlWLcjDagh2b6-EHfeQ2en6mAK3sTxPfjNUn_6jwlQ45ZEbIUBBiT8cBrmE0BZ61g=s800

Wash with L'Oreal Men Expert Pure Charcoal Face Wash
Lather up with Meissner Tremonia Bay & Rum pre-Market Tester & Semogue Taj (Boar)
Single pass shave wtih Muhle Rocca & Vidyut Stainless (Economy) (2)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & Ching Shih Bay Rum​

This blade is a real surprise! I thoroughly enjoyed my shave with it yesterday and rated it highly off that first shave - it's keen, it's smooth yet it's unremarkable in every way. Neutral. With that, it's a true workhorse blade that rolls its sleeves up, does the job well, without grumbling or making a scene. Shaving again with it tonight, I was expecting some noticeable degredation as it is reputed to be a one shot shave. Nope! Same again, just a good, honest, keen and smooth shave.

Regrowth today was fine. In fact, both regrowth and immediate post-shave face feel is akin to what I feel after a shave with a carbon blade. I've said before of the Shark Super Stainless, that it feels like a stainless pretending to be a carbon and the Shark is probably the Treet Kala; this one, likewise, carbon-feeling and it's not dissimilar to the Treet DuraSharp. High praise indeed!

Will it do a third? I was intending to ditch it after two regardless, given its reputation. I really don't like bad shaves and it can take me a couple more to get right. I'm prepared to risk it. If this blade can do three shaves of equal merit it will indeed recieve a high rating from me and possibly end up one I'd want to get a good stash of in.

Also tonight, I cracked open a bottle of Bay Rum that I've been maturing for almost four years! I'd actually forgotten about it, so made a little write-up here: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/ching-shih-bay-rum.53573/#post-812737

ACtC-3cN-b2c4r9bA5LSJtrpSv8n-ty7liBzO5TfRveIc88C0n17WHcw0bRuWYyljkwu18GT8H-FQTJbC-NF95ThBXKN34LzUDIhsuyyL7YKZho4C0Kxs4VIZO2uq5HfTigE0eEpUQR1Bsco9xiC-mCyNC-EvQ=w400

It has matured! It's deep and mysterious, the original spices very much present but a really oily, tarry undertone of gunpowder and smoke. Lovely stuff! The essential oils are just right, giving a good skin-free akin to, say, Pashana Original. I made a good 'un here!

Last edited:
Sotd-16-01-21.jpg

Yesterday -

prep - facial scrub
razor - ATT Calypso - R plate
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Chub 1 best
soap - Proraso sandalwood
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid mentally vigorous
blam - Floid
scent - Eau Sauvage parfum.

The most nervous type of shave - a funeral to attend - running late, as always - need to shave. Thinking about it later - I needn't have bothered - what with that part of my face being covered for the duration - but - if you are going to put on your best suit - actually my only suit, you want the whole effect? Even if you haven't drawn claret for years - if it is ever going to happen it will be a situation like this - just when you really really don't need to hurt yourself. This actually happened to me a couple of years ago - using a Schick! - of all razors. A virtual impossibility you would have thought? Nope - I did it - still don't know how - in my experience - the very safest of safety razor designs. Muppet. Got away with it yesterday thankfully - helped by the admirable Calypso no end. I - as have we all - experienced some weird shit since last March - but a lock-down funeral was without doubt the oddest and most unsettling experience of the lot. Of the 20 allowed mourners - virtually all of them my closest blood relatives - but with the exception of your partner - no one is allowed to touch. No handshakes, no hugs. Separated out in a freezing cold, next to empty crematorium chapel. I fully understand why - but it was odd none the less. The wake postponed until? Joins the list of communal gathering we can't have at the moment - which in the case of a funeral is normally a natural part of the grieving process - the swapping of memories and stories - and of course - the consumption of large amounts of whisky. So - to that end - let's all pay attention - stay safe. Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

View attachment 63358

Yesterday -

prep - facial scrub
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Chub 1 best
post - witch hazel
blam - Floid

The most nervous type of shave - a funeral to attend - running late, as always - need to shave. Thinking about it later - I needn't have bothered - what with that part of my face being covered for the duration - but - if you are going to put on your best suit - actually my only suit, you want the whole effect? Even if you haven't drawn claret for years - if it is ever going to happen it will be a situation like this - just when you really really don't need to hurt yourself. This actually happened to me a couple of years ago - using a Schick! - of all razors. A virtual impossibility you would have thought? Nope - I did it - still don't know how - in my experience - the very safest of safety razor designs. Muppet. Got away with it yesterday thankfully - helped by the admirable Calypso no end. I - as have we all - experienced some weird shit since last March - but a lock-down funeral was without doubt the oddest and most unsettling experience of the lot. Of the 20 allowed mourners - virtually all of them my closest blood relatives - but with the exception of your partner - no one is allowed to touch. No handshakes, no hugs. Separated out in a freezing cold, next to empty crematorium chapel. I fully understand why - but it was odd none the less. The wake postponed until? Joins the list of communal gathering we can't have at the moment - which in the case of a funeral is normally a natural part of the grieving process - the swapping of memories and stories - and of course - the consumption of large amounts of whisky. So - to that end - let's all pay attention - stay safe. Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

@Digimonkey sorry for your loss; I hope time heals.

All the best,

Chris

View attachment 63358

Yesterday -

prep - facial scrub
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Chub 1 best
post - witch hazel
blam - Floid

My Condolences I , hope it was as good as it could be.

Back
Top Bottom