SOTD: Saturday 15th -Friday 21st June 2019.

Sunday 16th June
Alpha 'Outlaw' - Blue's Soap flavoured with Dakar Attar - Ever Ready 1914 - Treet Super CS #2 - Alum - Brut Sport Style A/S - Dove Nourishing Cream
GBsuo9e.jpg

An absolute stonker of a shave.

Sunday evening

Mitchell's Wool Fat
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm synth
Face lather
ER 1914
Gem SS PTFE
Alum block
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Floïd Mentally Vigorous

A belter of a shave this evening. I usually attach two loom bands on the Gem spine: not to necessarily give a more authentic shave; but to prevent very slight blade movement (probably due to the small cut-outs at either side of the blade). Tonight, I just used an non-shimmed blade. Ok, a tiny bit movement; but it didn't hamper the shave.

Interestingly, it rendered the shave more, dare I say it, mild? Certainly smooth. The shimmed blade I have always found to be very efficient (aggressive, if you will). The trade off with the non-shimmed Gem, of course, was a bit more buffing to get a close finish. It could, of course, be the blade getting duller (if there's one thing I'm hopeless at, it's being disciplined enough to count the number of shaves on each blade).

So...I thought ‘Is this extra touch up/buffing going to cause a problem?' One way to find out would be if there was wincing and cringing upon application of alum. Not a bit of it. The usual healthy sting; and no pain after a liberal splash of the Mentally Vigorous.
8EB3D93E-85F5-46BE-94FC-5100E451087C.jpeg

Sunday, 16 June 2019

PreShave: Warm water, from the tap
Cream: D R Harris Almond
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled cream bowl
Razor: The Sledgehammer (Merkur 39C)
Blade Astra Platinum (2)
Post Shave: Alum

Fragrance: Floris 71/72

A nice shave for a Sunday morning, the cream whipped up to a great foamy but lubricating lather—I'm becoming a big fan of D R Harris' creams.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend folks.

Last edited:
Sunday 16th June
Prep: Hot shower Molton Brown Absolute Tobacco
Soap: MLS Grand Havana
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow
Bowl: Timeless
Razor: QShave Futur clone setting 3
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
ASB: MLS Grand Havana
EDT: Aramis Havana
It's been quite awhile since i used the QShave Futur and today it was wonderful nice and smooth unlike last time when i forgot to check the blade alignment

And on this father's day I give you my shave with the theme of 'A snarling dog'

20190616_162013.jpg

Ikon SB the snarling shaver
Polsilver Lodz the barking blade
Razorock 400 the brush with bite
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet the something I can't think of
ADP Absolut the how do you make something sweet and gorgeous sound vicious and nasty? You don't

I covered most of this shave in my thread 'Ikon SB vs Ikon SB vs Ikon SB' over on the DE section so I will save you the pain of having to endure the usual piffle.

This Penhaligon's is a real gen. Out of the tube it makes one wonder what can be made of it? but it does a minor miracle in creating one excellent lather. I have said this before but the scent lasts longer than their EDC of the same, hence why throw the ADP Absolut in at the end so as to have a fresh citrus scent with some kind of longevity.

Despite shaving using three different heads to draw comparisons the shave was in the main made using the polished cap. Exactly as I wrote this is the bad tempered pooch of the bunch. One incredibly close shave which left my skin tingling and where even a splash of witch Hazel had me quietly wincing. A few stealth nicks which had me pondering 'where the hell did they from?' but nothing the styptic pencil couldn't resolve. A razor which causes havoc when peace and harmony appears to be the way of the shave.

Altogether one ultra close shave and smoother than a dolphin covered in Vaseline.

Indeed one snarling dog of a razor but I wouldn't have it any other way.

And more snarling dogs to round things off

Back
Top Bottom