SOTD Saturday 12th Sept to Friday 18th Sept 2020

13 Sep 2020 – Sunday lunchtime – post cycling shave – 60k round trip to Windsor & Eton.
Couldn't be bothered with the proper gear – just a cartridge shave – nevertheless a very good result.
Prep: warm water splash
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm
Razor: Aldi Lacura Razor
Blade: Aldi Lacura Cartridge
Soap: Erasmic tub
After: Cold Water Splash - Ajanta Alum - Paco Rabanne 1 Million ASB

Punctuating my shaves this week, I'll be trying out four Cyril R Salter creams: Wild Rose, Fresh Mint, Sublime Citrus and French Vetiver. Based on the frequency with which they appear in the forum, their great dual-walled and double-lidded pots, and the volume of actual product, they seem like an excellent all-round high-quality and high value shaving cream. After today's shave I was not disappointed:)

I'll be using the same Razorock Starcraft synthetic brush with each cream, and an EJDE89 razor, but trying out some different blades, most of which were kindly provided in a recent trade with the estimable @Tony'schin (y)

So, today it was Wild Rose, using a Derby Extra blade, followed by TOBS Gentleman's AS.

DSC_1214.jpg

Wow! What a great scent! I was very nicely surprised by this rose cream...the scent was pervasive throughout the shave, right through to washing my brush, but then it eased off, so I didn't feel that I had to find a specific AS or EDT to fit with it. It didn't lather in the fast frothy way that TOBS does when I use the same brush (or any brush for that matter) but the lather seemed creamier and I could have had several more passes with just the small dab that I'd put in my lathering bowl. It went on sublimely and scraping it off was hugely pleasant.

I'd always avoided Derby blades as I'd previously found them too mild, but again I was surprised with the efficiency and smoothness of the Derby Extra...two passes and a slight re-do under the jaw and I was done.
A great start with the Cyril Salter creams. Tomorrow, it will be Fresh Mint.

Have an enjoyable evening and a safe week all:)(y)

The Sunday shave and what a shave it was. I had a Gillette Rocket HD on deck today but decided to break out the AS-D2 from its beautiful red box instead. I am really happy Mrs. S found this one for me and it was NIB when she grabbed it. Just a fantastic razor. Loaded up with a Perma-Sharp Super which is a blade I have not tried in this razor.

Soap of the day was First Line Shave Red Label which is a great choice if you are looking for a cologne scent. This one is a dupe of Dior Fahrenheit and quite nice. Just a real pleasure to lather this soap because the strong scent is just so good. All good here with this one.

Proceeded through a nice leisurely shave enjoying the whole process today. Four passes in total with WTG, XTGx2 and ATG leading to a super close and smooth shave. Indeed the dolphins ARE screaming. Enjoy your Sunday and stay safe.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Brush: Simpson Special 1
Lather: First Line Shave Red
Aftershave: First Line Shave Red
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Guerlain L'Homme Ideal
F2FA75E4-2ABC-4F9C-9DBD-7491EF8F4CCA.jpeg

Sunday AM 2020-09-13
t7ZAnkI.jpg

Rooney Emillion 2 Tiger Stripe Finest (24/53)
Acqua di Parma Colonia shaving cream (original)
Paradigm 17-4/Bob's Razor Works Amboyna Burl
Schick Plus Platinum (10)
Acqua di Genova 1853 aftershave

The shave took me from the smoky air of Seattle to Italy while I listened to Sunday Baroque on public radio. I love this razor combination.
Kg8qEej.jpg

Sun 13th Sept.

Jayaruh Syn. No67
P & B Pall Mall
Occams-Hiram Commander / 2dot
Schick Proline ( 8 )
Floid Vigoroso A/S Lotion

A week of very good Shaves with The Hiram has confirmed to me that it is probably the best AC/SE Razor that I have, just so smooth and comfortable. I am getting trouble free Shaves and without any problems getting consistently close finishes.

IMG_1024.jpg

Sotd-13-09-20.jpg

Razor - Alu Karve - D plate
blade - Nacet (?6)
soap - Mickey Lee Soapworks - Grand Havana - tallow
brush - Simpsons Trafalgar - T2
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro - Tobacco
scent - none - bollocks - meant to use Creed Tabarome edp - but forgot.

Second only to lavender - or perhaps barber shop - such a difficult thing to define? - tobacco is my favourite scent profile for a shave - and this was a great example of the genre. Thanks to @Paul L - for gifting me the - now unobtainium Mickey Lee - a fine soap indeed. Each to their own - I just get on better with tallow soap - more importantly - my skin does - the brush - I enjoy using the Trafalgar - but I will never love it. Nice - ergonomic - great handle - efficient - too efficient in some ways - less water - half the loading time - I am aware that I am swimming against the tide - but I ain't going to give up badger or boar - in the near future. Another one pass adapted shave - the way forward for me - but with the the introduction of a hot towel in my prep - nice. Everything a Sunday shave should be - enjoy yours - One and all - I.

Oh - I have just put up a post on the soap thread - looking for help in trying to track down some Floid shaving oil - or suggestions for alternatives - if you think you can help - have a look.

Last edited:
get on better with tallow soap - more importantly - my skin does -
I am aware that I am swimming against the tide - but I ain't going to give up badger or boar - in the near future.
I'm in agreement for boar brushes and tallow soaps.
My synths are really consistent, but I seem to always come to my Zenith and Omega unbleached boar brushes.

View attachment 59441

Razor - Alu Karve - D plate
blade - Nacet (?6)
soap - Mickey Lee Soapworks - Grand Havana - tallow
brush - Simpsons Trafalgar - T2
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro - Tobacco
scent - none - bollocks - meant to use Creed Tabarome edp - but forgot.

Second only to lavender - or perhaps barber shop - such a difficult thing to define? - tobacco is my favourite scent profile for a shave - and this was a great example of the genre. Thanks to @Paul L - for gifting me the - now unobtanium Mickey Lee - a fine soap indeed. Each to their own - I just get on better with tallow soap - more importantly - my skin does - the brush - I enjoy using the Trafalgar - but I will never love it. Nice - ergonomic - great handle - efficient - too efficient in some ways - less water - half the loading time - I am aware that I am swimming against the tide - but I ain't going to give up badger or boar - in the near future. Another one pass adapted shave - the way forward for me - but with the the introduction of a hot towel in my prep - nice. Everything a Sunday shave should be - enjoy yours - One and all - I.

Oh - I have just put up a post on the soap thread - looking for help in trying to track down some Floid shaving oil - if you think you can help - have a look.

It's good to hear you are getting on well with the Mickey Lee soap, Iain.
if it wasn't for my (mild) skin reaction to it, I would still use it in rotation.

Sunday 13th September SOTD

Brush - YaqI Chianti 24mm Synthetic
Soap - Cella Bio
Razor - Timeless 0.68 SS Scalloped
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Post - Floid Mentolado Vigoroso ASL

First use of Cella Bio soap - gifted to me by my son.
Very good performance and quite a nice scent.
Faultless shave achieving BBS
Finished with Mentally Vigorous

Mon 14 SOTD
Soap Rasozero Agrumella
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Razor RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge 1st time use
Post & Aftershave
Special Thayers Mix + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Today's lather contains abit too much water but still slick enough with nice mild lemony scent...
Shave with slant razor pair with 1st time use the famous Gillette yellow blade. Initial impression was just meehhh..
Considered just ok the smoothness and comfort. Efficiency is a tad below the green blade. Have to try again tomorrow. 3 passes with 1 weeper on the chin. Reasonably close...between bbs & dfs.
Post & aftershave was excellent.
Rating 9/10
20200913_183229.jpg
20200914_070025.jpg

Back
Top Bottom