SOTD : Saturday 12th June to Friday 18th June 2021.

Sunday 13th June

Cream • Alvarez Gomez Barberia
Brush • Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl • Ceramic Tapas Bowl
Razor • Razorock Hawk V3-A
Blade • Kai Protouch MG (7/8)? ***
Post • Floid Mentally Vigorous

*** I had the Protouch blade in another Razor and put it in the Hawk earlier today.
Started shaving . . .and it wasn't cutting.
Flipped it, and still not cutting.
Swapped it for a Proshave S - et volia!
Very smooth from the outset - a nice smooth shave

Some Deep Purple from '74

Last edited:
View attachment 71628

Yesterday afternoon -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - R plate
blade - Gillette Yellow (? - this is getting silly now, I swear the pixies are changing the blades at night to fresh ones)
brush - Frank Shaving 22mm two-band
soap - MT Black Beer No.1 paste
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Balsamica
scent - Homme de Caron edt.

I think I'm probably in a minority, as a Glaswegian and Scot who loathes football in all of its forms. If it happens somewhere else I'm happy to ignore it but when it impacts on my safety and daily life - that pisses me off. The current Euro thing - in design - would be a bad enough idea at the best of times - let's require a huge amount of unnecessary air travel - but bolted onto a world-wide effort to stem Covid, it is insane. The city council have set up a 'fanzone' in Glasgow Green, capacity 6,000 and ticketed but - get this - the people attending don't need to prove that they have been vaccinated or tested. In addition there will be four games at the national stadium - capacity limited to 12,000 - which is slap-bang in the middle of the two postcodes that have the highest Delta variant rates in Scotland. This would be funny if it wasn't so stupid. Glasgow has had, as much as anywhere in the UK, a long hard lock-down and to jeopardise it to feed the maw of corporate greed is indefensible. Don't even start me on the climate conference later this year in the city - 90% of the people attending will have flown from abroad - to talk about? Climate change - you really haven't thought this through have you? The rest of us have to use Zoom or Teams - why don't you? Anyway - nothing to do with shaving other than lavender and rosemary scents will be featuring heavily in my rotation for the foreseeable - I find them very relaxing. I'm going to need all the help I can get. Shave well - one and all - yours - I.

Couldn’t agree more Iain, madness to host a pan European tournament during a pandemic, with emerging variances. Nice concept in planning, but very problematic in practice.

Sunday 13th June

ACtC-3f2zfIKSOpY0XY8OST82lZBNdoOkUja2dHvSKMhMbetpOQkTcqKFUJDZbaK2IMU1HHYkbvHexxA36-IwrXi1ZVctKX47lybxuxmye-Esf2rWp3-JnfyuHhZaBmysVsYClMmKkMxBhXr8RI2yKFt9Aj66w=w300-h200-no

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Meissner Tremonia Dark Limes Rasierpaste
Yaqi Daffodil w/Cashmere Synthetic 24mm
Yaqi SE DLC w/Star Bakelite Handle
Cloud 'Bruce Lee' Super Stainless (2)
Meissner Tremonia Dark Limes Aftershave

Return of the Dragon

Back to the Cloud Bruce Lee blade for a second run through my Yaqi SE DLC. I've alternated this with the regular Cloud Super Stainless in my other Yaqi SE razor. I've found the blades to be identical other than packaging ... and if you can put Bruce Lee on a pack of razors, it's going to get noticed.

While I find these blade okay to use, they're certainly not refined. There are any number of better stainless blades out there and equally a good number worse. I find the smoothness, or rather rawness, to be about the same as with Ladas or Rapira Stainless and perhaps Shark Super Stainless but the sharpness is better than the first two from Rapira, not as sharp as the Shark.

First shaves were rough and ready, but shaved efficiently with a single pass. Remember that in the single side format razor, this is like doing a couple of shaves, and so when I get to the second run through it's like the third or fourth shave in a regular double sided razor. To that end, I'd say that these blades are fine first go, probably as good for a second and possibly okay for a third shave.

I struggle to justify them, though ...

If you want a retro-car without power steering where you feel every bump in the road and are fully connected to the wheels as you go around corners, then (shifting that metaphor to shaving) you drop in a Shark Super Stainless and hold on. That would be my advice, anyway. Having made comparisons to the Ladas and Rapira Stainless, I guess that's a good comparison given those two blades are largely ignored for the same reason - there are, simply, better blades out there.

Fun to try, mind.

longevity is surprisingly long for me. The first 'hit' lasts surprisingly long and with drydown....vanilla becomes more prominent. I really like it!
@Scotshave - what he said - I believe correctly described as a 'linear classic,' - starts lavender then becomes vanilla and stuff. Sillage - not so good - but longevity on the skin is excellent. When I wear it - it is a guaranteed 'you smell nice,' from my partner. purr purr. Job done. :cool:. I.

Last edited:
@Scotshave - what he said - I believe correctly described as a 'linear classic,' - starts lavender then becomes vanilla and stuff. Sillage - not so good - but longevity on the skin is excellent When I wear it - it is a guaranteed 'you smell nice,' from my partner. purr purr. Job done. :cool:. I.

Seems odd but it is one fragrance I couldn't get on with and passed it on on the BST. Just too much vanilla going on

i0jLbtg.jpg

June 13, 2021 - Paul Bunyon Day

• Prep: Hot Shower
  • Brush: Wilkinson sword classic
  • Razor: Blackland Blackbird OC
  • Blade: Wilkinson sword (1)
  • Lather: Wilkinson sword blue bowl
  • Post Shave: Nivea - Sensitive Post Shave Balm - Aftershave
  • Fragrance: Duru - Lemon Traditional Turkish Cologne
Shave:

What can I say here. I'd say shave was okay. Not as enjoyable as my usual shaves - but I definitely blame it on the lather. I remember, not even half a year ago, when I moved on from cartridges into DE's - I actually enjoyed this soap. Then stopped using it since I experienced a world of artisan soaps and so many much better offerings. Now going back to it, I don't find it nice at all. Fluffy, thin lather, being slick only due to contents of silicone in this soap. Pass. Skin doesn't feel nice either. Lathered up with Wilkinson sword classic brush which I believe it's a boar. Nice little performer - but it doesn't improve the lather of the Wilkinson sword soap bowl. 2 Passes for a Close comfortable finish - however still caught a weeper. Pass. Not sure whether today is worse - or the appreciation day on which I'll be using canned goo. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Daily Challenge:

Please note - I have never used Wilkinson sword blade before - so no idea what it shaves like pre-corked. However after running it through the cork - I didn't find it much of an enjoyable blade in my blackbird. Could also be the case of lather... but oh well - gonna pass on speculating. Not planning on using that soap again either. Yes I did start lathering the soap and then remembered about daily challenge. Bottle of some alcohol owned by my parents and cork poking out did the job just fine.

Feats of Fragrance:

Soap - synthetic smell. It's not exactly unpleasant, but definitely not nice either. Thank you but pass. Post: Hmm to me Nivea has a special place- I remember using their soaps ever since I was a kid, then when I was shaving with cartridges from 16-17 years old onwards until this years January (27 y/o) I was using it 99% of the time. If asked about a scent - I'd say nice pleasant creamy soapy scent. Performance is acceptable - but there's definitely way better out there. Must admit that technically I passed this onto my father... but unsure whether he is using it. He's a cartridge user and refuses to be converted to DE shaving. Stubborn.

Fragrance - Decided to splash on something cheap and cheerful. No - I can't find this one in local store, but blade, brush, soap and aftershave all can be found there. Nice lemon scent, very refreshing on a hot day like today - lasts maybe couple of hours max on the skin. Full of lemon. For the price (£4 for 400ml) I definitely won't complain. Sometimes I'll use it during the day as quick refresher too.

Self imposed challenge: Blackbird Month 13/30 SB: 10 OC: 3

Mon 14 SOTD
Soap PAA Solstice
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 8th
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Nice lather from the soap. The scent is good plus creamy and slick too...
Shave with razor paired with the blade was smooth and comfortable in 3passes without any issues for a bbs to dfs result.
Aftershaves were excellent.
20210614_123801.jpg

Back
Top Bottom