SOTD: Saturday 11 May - Friday 17 May 2024.

Yes agree J, I’ve always wondered why blade end overhang occurs in some razors and not others. Maybe to have the head plates at a minimum width? Reduces weight? Maybe it’s in order to be a bit easier/safer to remove the blade from the pins. Maybe all the above!
Anybody have the real answer? Al

for the blade tabs themselves, it was a deliberate feature in Gillette blades from about 1930. it makes it easier to hold the blades securely when handling them to change blades than it was with older blades that had rounded ends with no tabs sticking out.

$xlg_gillette.jpg

as for the tabs overhanging on the razor heads, it's again so you can hold onto the blade when putting on the base plate then tightening the handle to make sure the blade doesn't move in the head and stays perfectly aligned.

for the blade tabs themselves, it was a deliberate feature in Gillette blades from about 1930. it makes it easier to hold the blades securely when handling them to change blades than it was with older blades that had rounded ends with no tabs sticking out.

View attachment 120498

as for the tabs overhanging on the razor heads, it's again so you can hold onto the blade when putting on the base plate then tightening the handle to make sure the blade doesn't move in the head and stays perfectly aligned.
Thanks for the explanation (y) I did kind of think this might have been the reason for the tabs. However, they do lead to extra care being required when shaving the top lip and under the nose unless these tabs are covered by the razor head. Maybe only a minor point though in the whole scheme of things :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the explanation (y) I did kind of think this might have been the reason for the tabs. However, they do lead to extra care being required when shaving the top lip and under the nose unless these tabs are covered by the razor head. Maybe only a minor point though in the whole scheme of things :ROFLMAO:
Maybe Gillette using gentlemen of the time were expected to have a moustache...
...just saying!

The usual couple of shaves to catch up on so a pair of shaves with the theme, 'Pirates, Privateers and private parts'

Pirates - Hairy sailors with equally hairy arses who roamed the seas pillaging and generally being anhebriated. Illegally
Privateers - Hairy sailors with equally hairy arses who roamed the seas pillaging and generally being anhebriated. Under consent of the government
Private parts - In close proximity to the hairy arses of sailors who roamed the seas and generally used while being anhebriated.

Tuesday

20240514_181416.jpg

Skull - Ikon B1
Crossbones - Wizamet Super Iridium
Brush the plank - Zenith dark synthetic
Jolly Jack tar - MDC Rose
Jolly rodgering - Collagen
Yo oh oh and a bottle of Roses - C&S C88

'Are we lost yet Captain?'
'I never knew where we were going in the first place'

A very rosey shave and delivered in a most detectable manner. A new blade and the Ikon was right on song. And not being 'Yo Oh Oh a pirate's life for me'. Even if the blade did sing, 'I'll cut you, I'll slice you', but it never did. The MDC doing what the MDC does and the dark synthetic, being dark and synthetic. It is after all just a brush. Darth Vader may argue differently.

Massive grin value

And what better to end on than Sky Pirates by those lovely ladies with a violin, Fate Gear

Wednesday

20240515_191326.jpg

Bit part - Occams Enoch
A bit of a part - Feather Professional
Part brush - AP Shaving 24mm Cashmere
Shaving in private - Signature Condate
Shaving privates - L'Occitane Cade
Shaving Ryan's privates - Hermes terre

'Bloody tugs'

A change of blade for this shave. Schick Prolines out, Feather Professionals in. The new 'in vogue' Professional and a professional type of finish. A couple of hardly worth mentioning weepers but no other unwelcome collateral damage. And by God, the blade never fell out on this occasion.

Signature Condate? The new 'in vogue' Londinium. Condate in, Londinium also in. Mr Signature, brilliant soap, crap plastic tub.

May as well sign out with some more Fate Gear....

Always enjoyed the tatara offerings al. Shame about the overhang of the blade tabs. Always felt that if it was covered it would be one of the best razors out there

Snap! My same thoughts. I wouldn't have my tabs hanging out of my undies

Tatara. Hope you are reading this.

Milky May

Thursday 16th May

AP1GczNTuR8xsYbCAj6ZpWEb0IbbtrSxASnJud_nLS3fuPMV_WK-wAZH8zPRuhyAFUR8-D3X_FuNdfnYDNm6PZ0VjJGligS3R-675lDZxRRa39bTGqXt2b7-wDBlE5nRlrz9l_YGdM5xPxb0BWQ-fkXq2LHr5w=w800

BeeClean Peppermint Shaving Soap & Muhle Silvertip Fibre 23mm
KCG w/Yaqi Tsuka Handle & Treet Platinum (1)
Pashana Original Aftershave

Ahhhh ... my favourite blade in a razor that I have come to really like. Just shy of a straight-up 10/10 shave which I am certain tomorrow will be. It's a 9.99. Really enjoying the soap, too, but a switch to synthetic and not flicking out after wringing it out brought up a lot of foam that needed working through to get that yogurty lather that this soap can deliver ... which is very peculiar indeed for an all-sodium ingredient list!

View attachment 120498

I never stop learning something new here and suspected it was the answer.

20240516_192805.jpg

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep 10 mins mirror admiration.
Brush Cyclotrode.
Soap Zingari man Mousse Iluminee.
Razor Blackland vector CC.
Blade Kai Captain Titan mild Pink (9)
Post-Shave Johnny Bravo love potion.
Aftershave Zingari man Mousse Iluminee splash.

Been a long day at work and wanted to lift the mood so chose the above items.
Gotta love the glow in the dark feature and it's a great brush.
The Zingari man Mousse Iluminee is always a fabulous mood lifter, I just love it.
I don't know why but I always seem to go back to the Vector after a day or two away from it and it never gives me a bad shave, even when the Kai is about to give up on me.
The blade is now in the blade bank as I have so many I get rid of them as soon as I feel a bad shave ahead.
Mood well and truly lifted and smell as fantastic as I look.
Have a nice evening everyone.

marilyn monroe kiss GIF

SOTD Thu 16 May 2024

It was foggy, it rained, it was sunny, it went dark, shave
F7B999E3-8C0D-47B3-B337-D3E7A3F7DBF4.jpegPrep - hot shower, lather face wash
Bowl - DSCosmetic green bowl
Cream - Proraso Blue
Brush - DSCosmetic 24mm G7 synthetic
Razor - Muhle R89 Twist
Blade - Shark Platinum (5)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse
Splash - homemade (witch hazel and essential oils), Forest Fresh ASL
Balm - Nivea Replenishing PSB
Fragrance - Carbon by Jeff&Co EDT

Crap day, fabulous shave. Started and ended with new things (Proraso Aloe and Vitamin E and Home Bargains/Jeff Banks smelly - both great, especially the Proraso excellent cream). Everything in between worked really well together (although I think maybe 5 is the end for the Shark blade). Face feels and smells superb. Great experience.

960816EB-75B6-4155-B127-A44A8693E7C5.jpegThere’s a bloke on Masterchef, making a Dogs Dinner, can I watch?
Ok, but don’t build your hopes up!

Fri 17
Soap & Aftershave Yaqi Hypnotic Blue
Brush Spiffo Manchurian Badger
Razor & Blade Gillette Fatboy F4 & Gillette Platinum
The lather was creamy & slick smelling very nice. An excellent soap/splash & soft brush combination!
Enjoyed a satisfactory shave with this razor paired with the blade at max. setting...
20240517_091903.jpg

Back
Top Bottom