SOTD : Saturday 10th October to Friday 16th October 2020.

My shave with the theme 'Take it away Maestro'

IMG_20201012_102424.jpg

Conducting this symphonic shave - Maestro ?/8
Principal brusholinist - Wee whiskey barrel brush
Concertmaster - C&S Oxford and Cambridge soap

Straights. I keep picking away at this one as I am quite determined to master and tame these beastly objects. So today it was a case of 'come on Chris if you think you're hard enough, let's go all the way'

Yeh, up for this. Bring it on. You don't scare me you effing piece of sharp metal on a plastic handle. Child's play.

Lather up team do your best. And they did......... and smelling rather nice while at it.

Metal meet face, face meet metal, and........... Fucking dreadful. I may as well have shaved with a cheese grater. A face which was more reminiscent of a rug after a lifetime of being scratched and scraped by cats and lovers.

I think with the way life has been going I wasn't quite up for this if honesty can speak. At the end of the day it was nothing the stainless Mongoose couldn't make good, which it duly did. Other than a couple of small nicks from the Maestro I was happy enough. A kind of 'rug after an orgy' sort of smooth.

But I will be back, and one day I am going to be a shaving Maestro with you viscous little bastard.

Be well people of the forum and may you all and your families be healthy and safe.

Japanese ladies? Of course. Wouldn't be a shave without

Tuesday 13th October

Semogue 2020 Badger - Stirling Pumpkin Spice - GEM Contour/GEM PTFE SS - Old Spice Wolfthorn

Yesterday's shave this morning. Instead of a relaxing shave last night , I spent my time in the hospital car park waiting for the RAC. They came fairly quickly and left quickly with £150 of my hard earned cash. I suppose needs must......the car battery had completely died:(

First use of a GEM for a while and it was a good one. 3 passes for a cracking finish:)

Tue 13th SOTD
Soap Tabac
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor Gillette New SC
Blade Gillette London Bridge 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman VIBR
Excellent lather from the soap. Densely creamy and slick.
Shave with razor paired with blade was sharpish, smooth and very comfortable for 3+1 passes for between a bbs to dfs result. 2 weepers for enjoying the shave too much. Very nice post & aftershaves. Rating 9.5/10
20201013_091040.jpg

Tuesday 13th October
Anbbas Tux - OSP Lemon, Peppermint & Menthol - Yaqi Katana - ½ Voskhod TC #2 - Electrif's Lementhol A/S - Aloe Vera Gel
UlrhxAD.jpg

13 October

TFS Corte Sabauda
Razorock 24mm Plissoft
Gillette Adjustable E4 (4)
Gillette Silver Blue
Lucky Tiger face tonic

37B8AE76-C80E-4976-87C1-8FE1334CBB6A.jpeg

A superb two pass shave this morning. There are many good sub £20 synthetic brushes, but the Razorock Plissoft was one of the first. It is still capable of a fabulous performance, as good as any other brush I own, probably. Other than variety of handle there is no need to spend more, but we all do...

Tabac Tuesday
Pre - Shower / Face wash
Soap - Tabac
Brush - GFT Badger
Razor - Gillette Slim
Blade - Treet Platinum (1)
Post - Kouros AS followed by Moisturiser

I decided to try this razor one more time before it goes on eBay. It's just not for me, I prefer the more modern razors. Just a two pass shave today as I need to aim for a BBS tomorrow. I wanted to reduce the risk of any irritation today. An acceptable shave with some rough areas to the touch.

IMG_8132.jpg

13/10/2020

Brush - Omega 10075 (23 mm/48 mm)
Soap - Tabac Stick
Razor - Old Type
Blade - Lancet Super Platinum (6)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Ben's Bay Rum w/Pimento

It's taken a while to get used to using the Omega 10075, and I think that it is a few steps further down the road for its break in its easier to build a lather with and now it comfortably holds enough lather for 2 passes and clean up. The blade and razor performed really well, the Old Type is one of the mildest razors I own and with the right blade it produces one of the most comfortable shaves of any razor I own. From an extended run for using Tabac I've grown to appreciate how great the lather is during the shave, and how fantastic the post shave feel is, my face feel incredibly soft and moisturized when I was applying the splash.
A great shave today.

13/10/20
Pre: Shower
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
Razor: Yaqi Katana V1 Space Chrome
Blade: Perma sharp single (2)
Post shave: Cold water splash, L'oreal Ice Impact
Balm: Barts Balm Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Williams AV Musk
Wk 42 (4) Tues.JPG
The Little Yaqi SE is certainly an efficient razor, its actually got a nice weight to it and when used to "just remove the lather" with the lightest touch it delivers a great shave.
A pretty good lather today from the Williams soap, although towards the end of the 1st pass it started to dissipate, easily solved, i just reloaded the brush, the rest of the shave the lather was fine (big brush small tub syndrome).
2 Passes and a little touch up on the whirlpools and top lip leaving me comfortable and BBS. A nice post shave to finish off.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Last edited:
Sotd-12-10-20.jpg

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Yaqi Katana
blade - Med-Prep (3)
brush - Chubby 1 best
soap - Proraso red
post - witch hazel
a/s - Old Spice
balm - none
scent - Gotas Frescas cologne.

Sunday's shave - playing catch up - and a very good one it was to. I really like this razor and I was wondering what the name meant - turns out a Katana is a style of Japanese made sword - pretty much your classic two-handed Samurai blade. They are typified by a gentle curve and a single edge - hence - I assume - the design of the back of the Yaqi razor - which isn't flat, unusually. The greatest forger of them was the medieval master sword maker Masamune (mid 13th - mid-14th C.) - who developed techniques so sophisticated that they still have not been properly reproduced - his best swords have seven layers of steel - of differing hardness - folded together diferentially. Latterly Katana swords became so heavily identified with the Japanese Imperial Army - officers were required to wear one - that the manufacture of them was banned from 1945 until 1953 - and after that sword smiths were only allowed to make two a month and each blade had to be individually registered with the government - this remains the case today. I'm also assuming that Masamune is the inspiration for the name of the Portuguese made Tatara Masamune double edge. So what is in a razors name? Quite a lot sometimes - I thought that was quite interesting - but I shall let you be the judge of that. :). Enjoy your shaves one and all - yours - I.

Last edited:
Date:- 13 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike's Natural ~ Bergamot, Orange & Ylang Ylang
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Voskhod #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (20 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (15) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Back
Top Bottom