SOTD : Saturday 1 th - Friday 7 th June 2019

5 June

LPL Oud Santal
Semogue 1250
Razorock Black Hawk
Feather Professional
Epsilon Blue Mediterranean asl (sample)

12A9C7C4-3007-47BA-A086-F0B17E0F73F2.jpeg
Another very close shave by the Razorock razor. The Feather Professional blade is sharp and lasts well. I tried an Ikon steel handle on the Hawk this morning for the first pass, and found that too much, so I swapped back to the aluminium handle for the second pass. That was much kinder and no less sharp. I don't think stainless ac razors are for me. Happy shaving guys.

Ladies and gentlemen the main event for this evening was a shave with the theme 'of virgins and donkeys'

Stand up virgin soldiers - Ikon B1 OSS
The 40 year old virgin - Polsilver Lodz
Kevin and Perry go large - Razorock 400
The donkey King - La Savonniere Du Moulin
Donkey skin - The Bath House Spanish fig and nutmeg after shave balm
Donkey Punch - The Bath House Spanish fig and nutmeg EDC

Naked a sin
A bathroom towel, covering my belly
Some of us weep, some of us nick
Faces turn to jelly
But Next! Next!
I was just a young man
Many more like me
I looked at my naked body
My naked body looked back at me
Next! Next!
I was just a child when my innocence was lost
In my parents bathroom
A gift from my father, razor free of cost
Next! Next! Next!

A shaving virgin no more. Thank you to the late great Alex Harvey

The virgin in the pack for this evening's shave was a new Ikon B1 standard and Bulldog handle. The B1 standard is nothing new to me with it being my top dog in the pack of snarling razors kept firmly behind closed doors, but this is the first time I have had the top cap in their Proprietary B1 Coating. My other being chromed.

Is there any difference? Mmmm, possibly not, or mmmm possibly it gives a slightly slicker shave or mmmm possibly I am just fooling myself. What is nice is that the whole head matches for a change and it gives the same great evilly close shave with the same 'a fool and his skin are easily parted' feeling. Plus it is nice to have another B1 in the cabinet as I do so dearly love this razor.

The Bulldog handle on the other hand is a big miss. I was expecting something rather chunkier, but this takes me back to my early shaving days when size didn't matter as long as you could hold it in your hand. As time progresses you realise this is not necessarily the case anymore. As it is the Bulldog is a farcical little toy meant for Ken on one of his many dates with Barbie. He tries hard but just seems to miss out at the last hurdle. I suppose being genital free doesn't help. It just never gave me that confidence and control a longer heavier handle gives and by the end of the shave the new B1 head was wearing a different set of trousers in an ATT Colossus. Wonderful, this felt so much more familiar and so much more comfortable. It really rings true that handles can change the whole dynamics of a shave.

The other virgin for this evening being a new out of the packet Polsilver Lodz blade. Because I am unimaginative

The shave itself was a lot about prep. New razor, new handle and a new blade so a pre-soak in hot water just to bring it up to temperature as didn't fancy using it from cold. La Savonniere Du Moulin (contains 30% donkey) giving that perfect shaving barrier and whipped up so easily with my God of brushes. A touch of pre-shave oil (more of that prep for a new razor and blade thing) and away I went. Everything I expected and everything delivered in a wonderful manner. One tiny little weeper but more due to the bad delivery from a previous shave. Altogether one exceptionally pleasing shave and I am as smooth as Ken's bottom. He'd like to say the same about Barbie but never gets that far as I mentioned before.

To round it all off a splash of Witch Hazel and a moisturising smear of Spanish figs and nutmeg. Just in case I wasn't smelling figgy enough, throw on some of the matching EDC. I love this scent for every good reason. It may not be for everyone but worth a try if you get the opportunity. Very light, fragrantly sweet and a perfect touch for these warmer months. The only draw back being the attraction of every fly in the surrounding neighbourhood.

Obviously this is a bit belated, but first day back home, have a shave, take a photo, start to write it all up and then get lost in a bottle of wine. My wife is fantastic at making me feel great about not having to work for the next two weeks. By which time I should have sobered up again.

Have a wonderful day all you folk of this shaving community and may your shaves be every bit the equal.

Wed 5th Junw

The Grosvenor - mixed [ 404 ]
Williams Mug Soap
Schick B1- Repeater
Schick Proline B [ 3 ]
Williams Aqua Velva A/S Lotion

In this Injector rotation of those Razors confined to the use of a single blade, I nearly forgot to include to use a Repeater. The B1 may well look a collectors item which of course it is , but as a Razor and used with care delivers a Shave so good that IMHO the quality of finish is better than that I get with an E2 or PAL Injectomatic - and no Alum required. The kind of finish that you would like for your Daughters Wedding.

IMG_1032 (1).jpg

5/6/19

Pre - Soap Free Face Wash
Brush - Zenith B07 (24mm/55mm bleached boar)
Soap - Vitos Red Coco
Razor - Souplex Bakelite
Blade - Voskhod (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

Every so often I try to use some equipment that I neglect to use and one of the items of such a nature is the Zenith B07, a brush that I seem to overlook as I generally find it a little too floppy in usage and a bit a lather eater. Today's shave seemed to confirm my suspicions regarding the brush, the lather eating being one of the main issues with the brush. Before writing off the brush completely, I'll try to readdress my technique using the brush regarding choice of soap, loading and so on to see if I can have some more success with the brush.

A few more uses with the Souplex Bakelite razor and I'm finding it's actually less aggressive than I initially thought, it's actually very mild possibily as mild as a Fat Handle Tech, but it's very smooth. It could well become my razor of choice when I need to have a shave with a hangover. Not that I advocate hangovers....

05/06/19
Pre shave prep: Pears Transparent Original
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: OSP Eucalyptus & Menthol
Razor: Dr Dittar Track 2
Blade: Gillette G2
Post Shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Witch Hazel with added oils
Balm: Barts Lime Balm & Oil
Aftershave: OSP Eucalyptus & Menthol
OSP Menth,G2,^20.jpg

Today a shave with a Cart. A Gillette G2 track blade, this is what started me off wet shaving again, Basically I was handed down about 6 Packs of Old Blades when we lost our Uncle Les, I found a handle that takes them from Germany, a Dr Dittar and it is Buffalo horn, Carts are not my kind of thing, especially now, however, i decided to use them up and remember another hero of mine.

IMG_20180726_161736~2[1].jpg
Uncle Les 1926 - 2018.
Served as a Sgt with The REME in Korea and Palestine. A True Gentleman who walked my wife down the aisle and handed the responsibility to me. Also a great friend who taught a lot of my friends in Sunderland's shipbuilding days "the way of the Blacksmith".

A Great Lather and a straight forward Cart shave. The blade working quite well i suppose, for a cart. 3 easy, no input passes with a lot of buffing. I have to admit DFS achieved with really confortable skin. I am glad i had a nice lather as the "Lube" strip disintegrated pretty quickly.
The highlights being the OSP soap Lather and Post shave treatment. I really like the OSP E&M soap and cold water splash face Feel, nothing from the block and a splash of witch hazel.
Re hydrated with the Barts Balm & Oil Lime which i find is a nice base for the OSP Eucalyptus and Menthol splash.
Feeling clean, Refreshed and ready to go.
Have a great day all.

Sotd-4:6:19.jpg

Sotd - Saturday the 1st and yesterday the 4th of June -

Essentially - with slight modification - the same shave done twice -

Saturday -

Razor - Alu General on Executive Shaving stainless steel handle
blade - Schick Proline (lost count, who knows)
brush - Yaqi High Mountain White badger
soap - Squadron 'Group Captain's Blend' - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro 'Tabacco'
balm - none needed
scent - Creed 'Tabarome' edp.

Yesterday -

Razor - Alu General on Executive Shaving stainless steel handle
blade - Schick Proline
brush - Yaqi High Mountain White badger
soap - Squadron 'Group Captain's Blend' - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Vitos 'Tabacco'
balm - Spanish almond oil moisturiser.

Result - all good.

@Paul L posted recently about using the Squadron 'Red Lead' and reminded me that I hadn't used my 'Group Captain's Blend' in a while - this - in my opinion - top-tier Aussie soap was kindly gifted to me by @TomG in the Antipodes. It works very well indeed for me - in the first rank of artisan soaps. A sweet pipe tobacco scent - very sweet - strong - but stops short of being cloying. It is dark brown in appearance - I'm assuming from the amount of vanillin in the formulation. Both the Vitos and Extro 'Tabacco' aftershaves pair beautifully with it - being at the sweeter end of this scent class. Very good indeed. I've been neglecting my modern single edges recently - something I will remedy in the coming shaves - like the ATT Calypso - the General is a really outstanding razor for me - both - not far off perfect in use. Again - nice to revisit the Yaqi High Mountain White - without doubt the softest badger knot I own - a cloud on a stick - but it manages to not be a big floppy mop - a nice trick - big chunky handle - well worth the £40 odd they cost. It is dry in the picture - so you can imagine what it looks like bloomed. Two excellent shaves off the rank - enjoy yours - one an all - yours - I.

Wednesday AM 2019-06-05

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Rooney 3/2 Ebony Finest (24/54)
Brooks Brothers shaving soap (vintage)
Weber DLC/UFO U2V1 Brass
Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
Azzaro aftershave

The Brooks Brothers is an excellent and underappreciated vintage soap, producing rich, thick lather. And the SI blade works really well in the DLC head, perhaps even better than the vintage blades I usually use. My Azzaro is almost gone; it's great, but I won't replace it when it's done.
FthQNND.jpg

Razor: The Silver Ringer 6/8
Brush: Razorock Synth
Soap: Goodfellas Furiah
Splash: P&B Spitfire
EDC: P&B Spitfire

The shave was unfortunately a little underwhelming to begin with this evening as the edge has gone on this razor so after one pass I threw in the towel and resorted to my trusty Rockwell 6c to finish the job.
And what a job it done. Two passes with the Rockwell "et voila" a perfect BBS shave. This razor set at plate 4 never ceases to amaze me when accompanied by the ever faithful Astra SP blade.
With regards to the brush, I am still not impressed by this knot. Looks cool but the flow through and backbone are inadequate for my liking so I am soon to replace the knot with a lovely HMW badger. Well worth the effort in my opinion as I love the handle.
The fragrance choice this evening was inspired by this soap so kindly gifted to me by @Bailes90 . Thank you my friend you are a true gent.
Great silky lather with an abundance of protection.
Despite the hiccups in the beginning the end result is the most important thing and I am extremely happy with that.

Enjoy your shaves. :)

Last edited:
Wednesday 5th June
Prep: Cold water face wash G'Day Mate pre shave wash
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
Brush: Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo
Bowl: Timeless
Razor: Rockwell 6C R4
Blade: Gillette Platinum 1 (new)
PSB: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
I could not tell any difference between the old and new Gillette Platinum blades but only time will tell

Back
Top Bottom