SOTD : Saturday 1 th - Friday 7 th June 2019

SOTD 20190604.

nVUpk6V.jpg

Vie-Long foroafeitado SE 2019 synth.
PAA "Doppelgänger Black Label" shaving soap.
RR Game Changer GC84-P / Stork Ti "Taipan" handle.
Rapira Swedish Super Steel (4).
Rockwell 6S R5 only / Stork Ti "AN14" handle.
Loris "E-178" EdP (== Dior Sauvage).

Comparison Game Changer and modified Rockwell.
(Of the Rockwell base plate the R6 side is removed, such that only the R5 side remains)
Even after 4 shaves I have not been able to discover differences in shaving properties.
Both razors shave comfortably without risk of damage.
The Game Changer is only on other properties in favor: more elegant, lighter, the short sides of the blade don't protude.

SOTD 20190604.

nVUpk6V.jpg

Vie-Long foroafeitado SE 2019 synth.
PAA "Doppelgänger Black Label" shaving soap.
RR Game Changer GC84-P / Stork Ti "Taipan" handle.
Rockwell 6S R5 only / Stork Ti "AN14" handle.
Loris "E-178" EdP (== Dior Sauvage).

Comparison Game Changer and modified Rockwell.
(Of the Rockwell base plate the R6 side is removed, such that only the R5 side remains)
Even after 4 shaves I have not been able to discover differences in shaving properties.
Both razors shave comfortably without risk of damage.
The Game Changer is only on other properties in favor: more elegant, lighter, the short sides of the blade don't protude.
Good comparison Jan, I would agree.

4/6/19

Pre - Soap Free Face Wash
Brush - Omega 11819 (24mm/55mm unbleached boar)
Soap - Vitos Red Coco
Razor - Souplex Bakelite
Blade - Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

Not one of the best blade & razor combinations I've used, the blade seemed a bit mild for the razor head - but the results seem fine enough. One of the pitfalls of owning a fair number of blades & razors is often trying to remember which combinations work better than others and today's combinations was one of the less successful pairings.

VRC used to be my favourite soap, but I've not used it for a while. Whilst it produced a very good lather I couldn't help but compare it to other soaps I rate highly, which include Tabac which I now seem to now prefer. I'm liking the 11819 more and more, I think I was definitely too quick to judge the brush, it is on the floppy side of things (it's not great at picking up hard soap) but it's very good for face lathering nonetheless.

Date:- 04 June 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Project Leather
Razor/Blade:- Razorock Mission / Polsilver Super Iridium #5
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- N/A

04/06/19

Pre shave prep: Pears Transparent Original
Brush: Vintage Vulfix Service #3
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Razor: "The Myatt" Daymark OC / Merkur 23C Frankenrazor
Blade: NOS Perma Sharp Supreme (2)
Post Shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Witch Hazel with added oils
Balm: Barts Amber & Jasmine Balm & lotion
Aftershave: DR Harris Bay Rum

MyFrMu,Bay,Vul.jpg

DFS Today.
A Trial run with my 1920's Myatt Open Comb/Merkur 23C Frankenrazor.
The Bad Bit - I left too much water in the brush resulting in a very thin lather,
I decided to ditch it and go for a face lather with the wonderful Stirling Bay Rum.
Lathered up I proceeded with the shave, the first pass went well; both sides of the razor working equaly, its very mild though, quite nice actually.
I'd had a very close shave yesterday with the L1 and was expecting to get through today with a 2 pass shave, not the case, the set up is that mild i needed 3 full passes WTG, XTG & ATG.
Rubbing on the block it was as if i had not shaved at all, however, my face is smooth and feeling very nice.
I carried on with my routine as normal and when the Barts Balm & Oil went on, my face was really smooth (y) , on went the Aftershave and i am a very happy shaver:).
Yes it took a bit more work but the result is very much worth it.
I am happy to say this Frankenrazor works, i will try a different blade but overall its a winner.
Have a great afternoon All.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom