SOTD : Saturday 06th February to Friday 12th February 2021.

Thursday 11th February

ACtC-3eCOWXwEIJIQzaPVb925FYEB9j3Rzmfy-nfwtDZ-FVVf2uuL664Fim6XwX_qx4WtquBK-Mp6lW5BmiudtZVXci6hF-Nui6R6eWnpE_7Brh1cHcQQYcFdRfd_nL7BKOMt225_1buZTMcSCTLPbiEh-tB5A=w1200

L'Oreal Men Extra Pure Charcoal Face Wash
Wickham 1912 Buddha Wood Shaving Soap
Semogue SOC Butterscotch (Boar)
Muhle Rocca R95
SuperMax Super Stainless (1)
Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Cologne

Much better ...

Last night's shave with the legacy Vidyut/SuperMax Platinum (in the blue/white pack) which I ditched after one unsatisfactory shave left me with a patchy finish that I knew would give inconsistent regrowth. I've switched to SuperMax's current market offering for the Super Stainless: the green pack.

ACtC-3dJG55-LDFEGh0Faywu_LIXnUnigkzQqisJ9WeCpqeJRIlr5WCZBRHbU3vHXu4gSMY5P0K7i6p5hlg6iMRJORYLQkcRpQctjt1bNJ7EpAvqah64B5IpZi_uoiid5k1e8bsEbSC7ZCocGaHkYIR3Xy2Pcw=w300

Single pass, it was smooth and efficient, levelling off that inconsistent finish from yesterday and giving me my kind of shave. It's VERY much like the V(idyut)/SuperMax Super Stainless (in the blue packaging) and I'd wager it's the same blade. I'll know a bit more with a couple more shaves. The V(idyut)/SuperMax Super Stainless was consistent across three ... we'll see how this SuperMax Super Stainless fairs.

Yeah! My kind of shave ... enjoyed!

Good evening everyone

Brush - ES Medium Jock
Soap - OSP Sandalwood
Razor - Yaqi DOC
Blade - GSB #4
Post - Barts Sandalwood
ASL - OSP Sandalwood

Well, an exceptional shave this evening, I get
my closest shaves with the Yaqi DOC.
This soap performs excellently; however, I don’t get any Sandalwood from it. I lathered up and asked Mrs Seaman and she said it smelt like a Yankee Candle Fresh Linen type of arrangement and very pleasant. I am useless at recognising scents so please don’t read too much into this.
Post shave was excellent and my face is feeling and smelling great.

Stay safe gentlemen (and ladies if you’re mad enough to be read my incoherent ramblings).

7E251D17-3764-4D5F-9B15-C04D43409375.jpeg

Thursday AM 2021-02-11
National Inventors Day
UPbHcx1.jpg

Rooney Stubby 3XL Porcelain Finest (30/52)
Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood shaving cream
Wolfman WR2-SB/WRH3
Wilkinson London Bridge (17)
Floris Santal aftershave

The cream made great lather, although the brush is almost - but not quite - too big for the bowl of my Moss scuttle. I've been noticing that the WRH3 handle is now somewhat slippery in my hand when wet; perhaps my grip is changing with advancing age.
BinA1MH.jpg

Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap,
Pre: Pinaud Shave Oil
Soap: Executive Shaving Bay Rum Cream
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm
Razor: Parker 22R Interceptor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Black (2)

I was gifted the Parker by @merchant_seaman in the same box that contained the Fatboy, so it's had to wait a while for it's first run. Firstly, it looks cool with the arty finish and gunmetal colour, and it's the heaviest razor I've used. The TTO mechanism is quirky too.
Maybe I went OTT with the oil, but the lather died on its a**e as soon as it was on my face! However there's no doubt it did its job. The weight of the Parker gave me the confidence to apply the lightest touch, and the result is without question the nearest to full BBS I've achieved. The Benjamins is not so much Bay Rum aftershave as pure alcohol with a hint of bay :eek: but it definitely works in tandem with the cream. So my two current fave razors are poles apart. The tiny Aluminium Tech, and the 90 gram+ Parker. The Parker takes it currently for the confidence it gives.

149982054_726872574689209_5044241379929755305_n.jpg

Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap,
Pre: Pinaud Shave Oil
Soap: Executive Shaving Bay Rum Cream
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm
Razor: Parker 22R Interceptor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Black (2)

I was gifted the Parker by @merchant_seaman in the same box that contained the Fatboy, so it's had to wait a while for it's first run. Firstly, it looks cool with the arty finish and gunmetal colour, and it's the heaviest razor I've used. The TTO mechanism is quirky too.
Maybe I went OTT with the oil, but the lather died on its a**e as soon as it was on my face! However there's no doubt it did its job. The weight of the Parker gave me the confidence to apply the lightest touch, and the result is without question the nearest to full BBS I've achieved. The Benjamins is not so much Bay Rum aftershave as pure alcohol with a hint of bay :eek: but it definitely works in tandem with the cream. So my two current fave razors are poles apart. The tiny Aluminium Tech, and the 90 gram+ Parker. The Parker takes it currently for the confidence it gives.

View attachment 64624
I wouldn't say it's that strong for alcohol content, not as high as the Turkish splashes like Duru!

How did you get a spray attachment for the bottle? It looks like an ingenious solution, fine work!

View attachment 64609
Wild West Brushworks Cashmere
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Łódź Polsilver (1)
OSP Sandalwood
Humphrey’s witch hazel
OSP Sandalwood a/s lotion

Seriously overloaded the brush, but spent some time getting the water ratio right and was rewarded with a delightfully slick lather. Perfect. Delightful, insert your adjective of choice. Loving the OSP splash.
Can‘t stop using this combination . Enjoy yours and stay safe.
Great picture!

Paul.

I wouldn't say it's that strong for alcohol content, not as high as the Turkish splashes like Duru!

How did you get a spray attachment for the bottle? It looks like an ingenious solution, fine work!
@donnie_arko I believe the Duru is 80 proof, so only 40% alcohol, while the Benjamins is 50% alcohol. I'm happy to stand corrected if I've misread. I surprised myself with the spray solution. Cheapo Home Bargains travel kit and thankfully the bottle tops are the same diameter. One's now full of Witch Hazel and the spray one the Bay Rum. Still got the lotion/soap pump to go :)148800600_1075261172953759_254892973460692415_n.jpg

I kind of realised this theme the other day and so here it is the shave with the theme 'Dandelion and Murdock'

IMG_20210210_194137.jpg

Coca Cola - Rocnel SP half blade
Fanta - Half (actually less than half) of a Polsilver Lodz
Tizer - Yaqi Dandelion
Vimto - Murdock's Avalon
Irn Bru - banana republic Neroli

So against my religion and certainly against my better thoughts an advert on the BST for a Rocnel SE threw up this half a DE blade SE. Mmmm? Not an SE as we know it Jim.

In correspondence with @Tony'schin he described the Rocnel as being perfect for my 'gladiatorial' spirit. Something I never knew I had, but I would have been happy to go along with gross stupidity as an alternative phrase. And as it turned out, very apt. If gladiators were armed with this thing the Roman Empire might have been somewhat smaller, Spartacus an Emperor and Hannibal would have had elephants with slightly shorter legs.

I have to say it is one wonderfully solid, precisely manufactured, hefty piece of shaving beauty. It has a feel of quality and certainly something rather beautiful to hold. I wouldn't look at it for too long though as it would happily gouge your eyes out at a mere glance. I was rather in two minds about snapping blades in half and envisaged removing residual shrapnel from my face in doing so. As it turned out, not too bad but then you have to take out the half a blade left in the razor, turn it around (as it is not much use with the cutting edge on the inside), and then, and then, snap the tabs off! By this point there is very little remaining of the original blade outside of a sharp edge and quite a bit of it at that. The blade exposure is up there with the Ikon Tek and would have been very acceptable to Jack the Ripper. Another one of those razors which asks, 'Why?'

Not one to shy away from a challenge, I'm up for this one. Bring it on
Now there is a girl who has never shaved. Or so I presume.

Murdock's Avalon. Did I ever say one of the best creams on the planet, period? Well just in case I didn't 'it is'. And with the Yaqi Dandelion a sterling shaving barrier. The only problem is the barrier could be doing with being a little more solid. But I still don't think it would prevent the SP from doing its job of removing anything standing in its way.

First stroke was one of those great 'Oh fuck' moments. Immediately it was very easy to feel the Rocnel wasn't going to take any prisoners or tolerate anything less than utmost care and attention. It took about a whole three seconds to draw blood and draw a line at me thinking this was going to be an easy ride. Need a rethink. Angle, angle and angle. What I did find with a bit of playing around is that it has a very steep shaving angle perhaps more so than the Ikon B1. Anything too shallow and this thing will 'dig in'. It also requires more skin stretching than I usually exercise as it simply views non stretched skin as something to remove. I am also convinced it needs something far less sharp than the Lodz blade and I have a feeling a Kai stainless might be a better choice being quite a thick blade and more adapt to the blade securing system of the SP. Some experimenting needed here.

As a passing note as I am a bit behind here, but I did try loading a kai for future use. Not such a brilliant idea at all. Being a thicker blade it resisted being snapped and when it did the edges slightly curled up and the blade proved a sod to remove. I then somehow managed to end up with half a kai stuck in the end of my thumb. Very much an 'Ouch' moment.

IMG_20210211_213326.jpg

Note to self. Do not try a Kai again.

The anti-rub. Despite me making the Rocnel SP sounding like some kind of a murdering tool it actually went on to produce one very fine close shave. Yes there was blood (including oddly a digit) but I think this razor needs more time to learn the angle and adapt and adjust. It is not straight forward and not for the faint of heart. If you want ease don't go here. If you want what I think might be a wonderful razor underneath its terrifying exterior then it might be just right down your street. I am going to stick with this one as it reminds me of the Ikon B1 where you have to live and learn. It is unlike the tek which was designed with a single minded dangerous attitude, whereas the danger here appears to be more of a side effect than it is a design criteria. It can and will be tamed......once my thumb has healed and I can face snapping blades again.

Certainly a different kind of shave and one which needed more care and attention than I exercised, but certainly pleased with the end results. A bit like Dandelion and Burdock. Strange but there is something to love

On a slightly different slant here I really must say a very big thanks to all you TSR folk and for all the very nicely received messages of condolences passed on to me. I think it goes a long way to say not only is this one very fine forum, but what very fine members frequent its pages. I am most humbled by your thoughts and heart.

And in return I give you some very fine Japanese ladies to say it all.

@donnie_arko I believe the Duru is 80 proof, so only 40% alcohol, while the Benjamins is 50% alcohol. I'm happy to stand corrected if I've misread. I surprised myself with the spray solution. Cheapo Home Bargains travel kit and thankfully the bottle tops are the same diameter. One's now full of Witch Hazel and the spray one the Bay Rum. Still got the lotion/soap pump to go :)View attachment 64629

YOU'RE A LEGEND! I have one of the very kits on my table, but the bottle is being used for my witch hazel and the other one I am none the wiser! Cheers for the info, I will look in the pound shop the next time I pass it.

I thought the Duru wasn't 80 proof, but 80% alcohol.

Are you near any Turkish supermarkets? The Akcay Tobacco is the pick of the ones I have tried and I'd recommend picking up a bottle if you see it on the shelves.

YOU'RE A LEGEND! I have one of the very kits on my table, but the bottle is being used for my witch hazel and the other one I am none the wiser! Cheers for the info, I will look in the pound shop the next time I pass it.

I thought the Duru wasn't 80 proof, but 80% alcohol.

Are you near any Turkish supermarkets? The Akcay Tobacco is the pick of the ones I have tried and I'd recommend picking up a bottle if you see it on the shelves.

I think you're right about the Duru. I must have misread it - it seems less to me as it's fresher!
I was actually PIFd a bottle of Akcay a couple of weeks ago by @SeanC ! I love it as it's so sweet to start, then fades pretty quickly. That's one problem of living in North Wales - we are not replete with Turkish and Afro Carib hangouts :ROFLMAO:

SoTd
11th straight shave didn’t go too well today but can’t win them all I managed to ruin my edge on the paste or so I thought hopefully with some of the great advice I’ve been given I can manage to turn this around. So had to cut the shave short as the razor wasn’t cutting the hair so ended up finishing with the oneblade, it was another one with the kindly gifted sample of Mdc rose couldn’t resist it going to become a regular for me. Looking forward to the next one hopefully all goes well and I will be back on this wonderful journey before I know it
2958B2D7-34B2-4E0D-A109-773510A2724E.jpeg68289A7D-36EC-45CA-A0E7-B67AFAEF2778.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom