SOTD : Saturday 06th February to Friday 12th February 2021.

Friday

Le Pere Lucien Cèdre et Patchouli
RazoRock BC Silvertip synth 24mm
Face lather
Ever Ready 1924
Gem SS PTFE
Thayer’s Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Flöid Black

I think all the vintage SEs in my collection, the 1924 is easily the most efficient and smooth. This isn’t to decry my 1912s, 1914 or (especially) my Streamiline, you understand; it just seems to plough through the bristles with little feedback and leaving smooth landing strips in its wake that wee bit more efficiently.

3CCF024F-1C6F-42F3-96BD-C8E23EAD837C.jpeg

12/02/21
4 For Feb
Shower
Pre: Cold water rinse and face wash with the Wickams pre shave soap.
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synth
Soap: Wickams 1912 Scottish Heather
Razor: Rex Ambassador (4ish)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Post shave: Cold water rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Cinnamon & Patchouli Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: JPG Le Male' EDP - well it ts Friday

P2110004.JPG
Up for todays shave was the Rex,
I am trying to find where the Tradere sits on the "Rex" scale. I normally use this fellow at around the 2.75 mark and this gives me a wonderfully comfortable smooth shave, i Know the Tradere is much more assertive so it was in the bathroom to act as a guide.
A nice slick lather from the Wickams and Chubby Synth with plenty for the shave.
I started the Rex off @3.5 comparing feel with the Tradere a stroke at a time, the Rex needed a bit more, in fact i eventually had it up to 4.5 and this was a comparable feeling. When i got to under the chin it was a bit harsher so i backed it off to just over #4.
The shave was a great experience in 2 respects,
1. I know i can go above #3 on one of my favourite DE's and
2. i got another little run out of the Tradere
A really nice post shave to finish off leaving me BBS, comfortable and smelling top class.
Tomorrow will be a side by side comparison of the 2 razors
Oh, 4 for Feb has another "cuckoo", the OSP trial Cream sample has turned up so i really need to give that a bash.

Stay safe and enjoy your day All

Last edited:
12/2/21

Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Tuxedo
Soap - OSP Tallow Cream Sample
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Gillette Winner Black (6)
Post - Denim

Like Tony's my 4 for Feb ends with a crash, to test James's new OSP Tallow Cream, which I liked a lot.

My initial thoughts were very positive when I opened the container, a pleasant scent that seemed quite mild but conversely it was a lot stronger when the lather was on my face, but praise be to the Lords above it didn't make my face burn! I have no idea where to start in how to describe the scent profile though.

Now on the shave itself, I didn't use enough soap to begin with so my lather was a little thinner than I'd have liked but it was beautifully slick, I'll load a bit more soap for tomorrow's shave with it. I used the soap that was stuck the lid and it produced a slightly thin lather for 1 pass and clean up, the soap's fairly efficient.

I loaded the soap like I load Brian's SS soaps where I take out an amount, press to a clear lid, load it from there to the brush then build it on my face, it might seem like a convoluted way of doing so but it's actually quick, gives me control of how much soap to load, keeps water out of the soap container.

As for building a lather it seemed pretty easy to do so, and it seems to have quite a forgiving window of hydration as well. When I squeezed out the lather from the brush, it was clear to see it was a very glossy and shiny one.

IMO, one of the most important parts of any shave is how much resistance there can be between the blade and stubble, but there seemed to be none in today's one, and I finished it with no razor burn, nicks cuts or irritation from the blade itself. I'm not going to assess the soap on it's first shave, some of my favourite scents/lathers have taken me a number of uses to get familiar with but the lather produced was slick during the shave with a good neutral post shave feel.

Thursday 11th Feb

Soap - Hampshire Wool Fat
Brush - YaqI 24mm Tuxedo
Razor - RazoRock Hawk V3
Blade - Feather Pro Guard (2)
Post - Boots No7 Moisturizing Balm

Second shave in with the Pro Guard blade and it seemed harsher than the last.
Not terrible but nowhere near as smooth as with the Proline or Pro.
I sustained a small cut on my right cheek which took some stemming.
All other elements of the shave were good.
You do not need a guarded blade in the V3 with its basic plate, maybe in an A plate [ depends on you and your beard ]. I use a guarded blade in
The V3 OC. Glad you seem to have a good experience with this AC/SE.

Fri 12th February

Cyril Salter /MS. ED2band
P & B Citra Royale
ATT SE1-Windrose handle
Schick Proline [ 6 ]
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

Picking up this Brush for use today made me think of its origins. It was Thank You gift from James @Acer89 as I sold him a Schick N which he had been after for some time. He got hold of some used Cyril Salter brushes and re knotted them, this one with a nice Maseto knot. In fact it is one of my nicest brushes as the knot coupled with a very ergonomic handle is a pleasure to use.

I just wonder why we no longer see James @Acer89, who was a good contributor to this Forum and others. Amazing how many well known contributors suddenly disappear without a trace, though of course there are many reasons that a person does not have the time to indulge in Shaving Chat.
Todays Shave was rather good, smooth and comfortable with a nice close finish.

IMG_1323.jpg

Last edited:
20210202_111856.jpg
SOTW - 4 for Feb
Soap WSP - Citrus Blast
Brush - Razorock Monster 26mm Plissoft
Razor - Hill & Drew TTO
Blade - Gillette Platinum
Post - M&S Harvard lotion and balm

These 4 shaves in this second week of 4 have been a joy. The soap is one of my faves with regard to performance, easy to whip up a slick lather and the scent is more of a Citrus Kiss as opposed to a Blast. I'm not too enamoured with the brush, not sure if the knot is too big or due to no backbone it feels " moppy", or both. Holds alot of water too. I wanted to use a tried and tested blade with an untried razor, the Platinum is my go to blade, seems to work in everything and has always been smooth and sharp. The razor is a clone of Razorock TTO I think, its very mild, smooth and inoffensive. I was pleasantly surprised here as it may well become a travel razor and could easily be a daily driver. The post shave was also a surprise. The lotion was high in alcohol to give a nice post shave bite and the balm was calming with a tuned down version of a sophisticated but classy scent.
Continue to stay safe people and enjoy those shaves

You do not need a guarded blade in the V3 with its basic plate, maybe in an A plate [ depends on you and your beard ]. I use a guarded blade in
The V3 OC. Glad you seem to have a good experience with this AC/SE.

Thanks Mike, I'm still very new to the SE/AC razor side.
I got on really well with the Proline.
It's a shame RazoRock don't sell the base plates individually .

Back
Top Bottom