SOTD : Saturday 06th February to Friday 12th February 2021.

10/02/21
4 for Feb
Shower
Pre: Cold water rinse and face wash with the Wickams pre shave soap.
Brush: Alpha Outlaw Titanium G4 Synth
Soap: Stirling Soap co. Bay Rum
Razor: Blackland Tradere
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's Bay Rum infused Witch Hazel
Balm: TC's Bay Rum Argan Oil, then a dollop of E45 mixed with the infused Argan oil.
Aftershave: TC's Bay Rum #2

View attachment 64557
I really enjoyed yesterdays "Bay Rum" themed shave and i remembered i had a batch i brewed up in May 2019, it was triple filtered, bottled (x2) and stuck in the back of the cupboard, now then, using @Electrif splash yesterday got me thinking and fired the spark.
Therefore today, it just had to be Bay Rum Again.
After a shower i decided to complete a Cold water shave again with the Tradere, it really seems to suit this razor for me.
An easy face lather with the brush holding plenty for the shave, I completed 3 passes although the final pass was more a touch up.
I had a nice post shave and tried a drop of my Bay Rum Argan oil mixed with a bit E45 as a balm, it worked a treat. Finishing with a good splash of my #2 version. Hey, its quite good, no real burn and my skin feels good.
BBS, comfortable, feeling and smelling pretty good to boot.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.
A lovely looking Razor you have there, what could you compare it to to give me an Idea of the way it shaves? :)

Paul.

A lovely looking Razor you have there, what could you compare it to to give me an Idea of the way it shaves? :)

Paul.
Thank you Paul,
I am still in the throws of new razor excitement at the moment, although, i will try.
It is Blade forward and there is some blade feel, although, i think not as much as the Blackbird, for me it is smoother.
I have tried "just off the Cap" and it shaved well. I am now just using it with a standard angle, with the cold water shave it is really comfortable.
It is very efficient similar to the Blackbird but i think not as harsh if that makes sense. To date it has not given any indication that it is going to bite
(i should not have said that, i know. Bloodbath for its next outing).
Compared to the Dart, it is in a different league. I really did not get on with the Dart, always felt as if it was ready for a fight, got nicked a few times.
I am going to run it with the Rex to see if i can get a similar feel, then i will let you know on the "Rex scale " where it is.
I believe so far it is my most efficient DE, it is not in the PILS, AS-D2 or Karve C plate Mildness category (These are about a 1.5 - 2.75 on my Rex for me) - still very nice though.
Oh, Its bloody Big and has some heft, this seems to go once it addresses the face.
I Love It.

Thank you Paul,
I am still in the throws of new razor excitement at the moment, although, i will try.
It is Blade forward and there is some blade feel, although, i think not as much as the Blackbird, for me it is smoother.
I have tried "just off the Cap" and it shaved well. I am now just using it with a standard angle, with the cold water shave it is really comfortable.
It is very efficient similar to the Blackbird but i think not as harsh if that makes sense. To date it has not given any indication that it is going to bite
(i should not have said that, i know. Bloodbath for its next outing).
Compared to the Dart, it is in a different league. I really did not get on with the Dart, always felt as if it was ready for a fight, got nicked a few times.
I am going to run it with the Rex to see if i can get a similar feel, then i will let you know on the "Rex scale " where it is.
I believe so far it is my most efficient DE, it is not in the PILS, AS-D2 or Karve C plate Mildness category (These are about a 1.5 - 2.75 on my Rex for me) - still very nice though.
Oh, Its bloody Big and has some heft, this seems to go once it addresses the face.
I Love It.
Thank you, it sounds like it could be a razor that I would like, maybe at the top end of how assertive I prefer my razor's but still within the limits that I would consider comfortable. :)

Paul

Thanks the the heads up @ Electrif - much appreciated.
What is the weight of that razor without a blade? I found I’ve struggled with lighter razors.
Also, might I add, that’s a stunning handle on the Cadman.
It's very light, 9½g, 11g with the blade. The light weight is easy to get used to. I just have to compensate with slight pressure.
I'll be using two more 3D printed razors for my next shaves.
Thanks for the brush comment. It is a pleasure to use.

Wednesday AM 2021-02-10
National Bumbershoot Day
qSxQuCg.jpg

Rooney 3/1 Ivory Finest (22/50)
XPEC Unscented shaving cream (v.1) + Rose Essence Oil/Hydrosol
Schick Krona
Wilkinson London Bridge (16)
Mennen Skin Bracer

u2NTlWO.jpg

Wednesday 10th February

ACtC-3fO_p4tCNs-2NEnxz27isOY4pKeNo0RijAbvhr0m2GStdTB-yNw_HxfVXeSWtddy9Qavse_nrbKknkhxDq48aXbE_Iye_eXer3RAh4qUboGaf45-vHv-HfMbTSKXRg5wFee0EXbQY2a-Z9bb85DTDrhtw=w1000

L'Oreal Men Extra Pure Charcoal Face Wash
Wickham 1912 Frankincense Shaving Soap
Semogue SOC Butterscotch (Boar)
Muhle Rocca R96
Vidyut/SuperMax Platinum (1)
Harvard Vetiver Aftershave

Not good ...

I had high hopes for this blade being what would appear to be the top of the line of the legacy Vidyut/SuperMax brand of that styling. I have thoroughly enjoyed their very lowly Economy Stainless and the Super Stainless, both blades which are simply good, honest, workaday blades and I rated them as such up there at 7.9 & 8, respectively ... putting them amongst such peers as the Shark or ASCO Super Stainless while a tick below, say the Lord Classic (8.5) and a good way up from, say Ladas or Rapira Super Stainless which I rate around 6/10.

This Vidyut/SuperMax Platinum, though ...

ACtC-3f6HhTlzXaGbDKwi8TqnoH-6Ur8pBlLFQJVdgo14oLnKNO6Ff8_FieXAhD55KH3DB2kDTCJyHVENhLqRxi5levS3s_hlO7tlGNngM6UEx-kale_7gB_1Uf89xdXNCNZDPI27uHQvhBf5RidFVzIm6RtiQ=w300-h200-no

Smooth, yes. Smooth, but not at all sharp or even keen. In no way could I get my usual "shaved, presentable and happy" inside a single pass, had to do two and touch-ups. It wasn't a bad shave, just not a good shave. Actually, I do have a harsh patch on my jawline and general post-shave irritation, which a good extra splash of Pinaud Clubman Original has soothed away.

The shave was smoother than the SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium of the same era, but results were about the same. Not up to my usual expectations or standard and a shave which was certainly not uniform. Regrowth will probably be all over the place. I've heard folks use the phrase "shadow shave" to refer to a shave that was indeed a shave, but it didn't get rid of the shadow. This was one of those.

I'm not interested in pursuing this blade for another shave. I'll ditch it and no doubt try another from the tuck in future, some time.

Bah!

Last edited:
This shave carried the theme 'In dedication to my father'

View attachment 64439

Razor - Colonial General V2
Blade - Schick Proline
Brush - Wee whisky barrel
Soap - Captain Fawcett's
Scent - Eau Sauvage

As someone mentioned a couple of weeks back they noticed I wasn't quite up to my usual self of recent.

Last October as I mentioned on an SOTD at the time my father went in to hospital for a major cancer operation at the age of 88 and amazingly everything went wonderfully brilliant. Then the complications set in and for the past three months or so he has battled away against pneumonia and sadly last Sunday he passed away. This past week has been incredibly time consuming as I never once thought there would be so much ground to cover.

However I have finally found time to write here in what is a precious piece of 'me time' and as much as a get away from it all and to detract my mind towards something I enjoy. This wonderful corner of the internet and all you TSR folk and the wonderful support you have given in so many ways. So I dedicate this SOTD to my father.

My father was always a wet shaver from as long as I can remember and it was a sneaky first shave aged about 14 using an old Gillette of his which introduced me in to the world of shaving. I may not have followed the 'rules' for some of the time, but it was nice to return to blades which didn't come in the form of a cartridge. And here I am today thanks to dad, shaving away although I do think a 'real' shaving soap and a brush is a vast improvement over my original sin of a block of general bathing soap which every family member had used around their nether regions for several months.

Being an old sea-dog himself I thought the Captain Fawcett's was a perfect tribute and it just happens to be a superb soap with a wonderful fragrance and with all the shaving qualities you could ever want. The brush because I really do love the little whiskey barrel as much as I enjoy a single malt (nearly). And finally the Colonial V2 just to say, 'Dad, I've come along way since being a teenager with fluff issues.

A very fitting shave and wonderful results which I know my father would have enjoyed himself. Good on you big man. As my granddaughter said when told granddad Tom was an angel, 'he will be happy in the clouds'. He most certainly will and very nicely shaven as well.

Be well one and all on this terrific site and may all your shaves be as good as this one.

And why not? He may not have enjoyed the music as much as me but he would understand exactly where I was coming from. Have some Japanese ladies to end on

May I pass on to you,my sincere condolences.

Good evening everyone

Brush - Yaqi Timberwolf
Soap - ExS Bay Rum Cream
Razor - Rockwell 6S (4) (2)
Blade - GSB #3
Post - Boots Freshwood Balm
ASL - Clubman Bay Rum

An excellent lather produced by this cream and brush combo.
Had a great first pass on plate 4 and then switched to plate 2 for the subsequent passes. For some reason I completely bypassed the XTG pass and realised half way through the ATG, rather than risk any irritation I stopped after the this pass and called it a day.
A great post shave with just a couple of very slight rough patches.

Stay safe guys

D4F5CC6D-AB2C-4176-831E-0272D98C2775.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom