SOTD : Saturday 06th February to Friday 12th February 2021.

I have always found SE blades to be a tad uncomfortable first time out of the pack. After this initial shave, absolutely fine and a few shaves in incredibly comfortable. 12, 15 down the line and nothing has changed you start to ask yourself if there is some strange magic going on.

And then there are the other SE's to try.

Dump your DE's and be drawn to the dark side

Hi Chris

I've not found the blades (each on their first use) at all uncomfortable, quite the opposite.
The Feather Pro seemed a bit sharper/more pronounced than the Proline, but not aggressive feeling.

I'm in no rush to try other SE's at present, but who knows? !
I'm currently looking at where to buy Kai blades in the UK.
It seems on eBay most sellers are in Japan.

Hi Chris

I've not found the blades (each on their first use) at all uncomfortable, quite the opposite.
The Feather Pro seemed a bit sharper/more pronounced than the Proline, but not aggressive feeling.

I'm in no rush to try other SE's at present, but who knows? !
I'm currently looking at where to buy Kai blades in the UK.
It seems on eBay most sellers are in Japan.
I think there is a Ebay seller, based in Sweden that sells Kai Pink's

Todays Shave Kit Tuesday 9th Feb 2021

Shave Score 9.5/10

PreShave: Hot Shower / NIVEA MEN DEEP Anti-Blackhead Scrub
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing
Cream: Proraso White Shaving Cream (tube)
Brush: Clear Confidence Co Synthetic Shaving Brush - Vegan-Friendly
Razor: Merkur 500 Progress (3.0, 2.5, 2.0)
Blade Astra Platinum (3)
Post Shave: Proraso After Shave Green Refreshing
Post Shave Balm: Proraso Aftershave Balm White

Tried the Proraso White Shave Cream for the first time today, not bad at all, especially in my warm copper shaving bowl :)

Changed the way I'm using the Merkur Progress after tons of reading the web, so reversed the setting, WTG 3.0, XTG 2.5, and ATG 2.0.

Ended up with a BBS shave and zero irritation :) very happy indeed, starting to love this Merkur Progress, and I'll still experiment with the settings :)

Have a good day all.

9 February

PAA Dapper Doc’s
Blackland Signature
Blackland Blackbird
Feather Hi-stainless
Pinaud Clubman VIBR

74A2AA21-EA58-48B9-AA4F-92088AAC0C21.jpeg

Damn I couldn’t resist, but what a fabulous close shave I had this morning. The Dapper Doc’s soap is a heady mixture of lilac and fig and works as well as the other PAA soaps that I own (very well indeed). The Blackland signature brush is made very nicely with a black anodised aluminium handle and a smallish 23mm black synthetic knot (fab). The Blackland Blackbird is a stunning looking razor, which when loaded with a blade looks as if it will be aggressive, there is considerable blade exposure, but in truth it gave me a very close, comfortable shave. I love it.

Last edited:

Shave Score 9.5/10

Blade Astra Platinum (3)

Tried the Proraso White Shave Cream for the first time today, not bad at all, especially in my warm copper shaving bowl :)

Changed the way I'm using the Merkur Progress after tons of reading the web, so reversed the setting, WTG 3.0, XTG 2.5, and ATG 2.0.

Ended up with a BBS shave and zero irritation :) very happy indeed, starting to love this Merkur Progress, and I'll still experiment with the settings :)

Have a good day all.
The progress is a great razor

Shave Score 9.5/10

Blade Astra Platinum (3)

Have a good day a
As Italian I am definitely biased but I think that Proraso brings a lot of value for the money - it's what you find in any supermarket (in fact difficult to find something else)...

As Italian I am definitely biased but I think that Proraso brings a lot of value for the money - it's what you find in any supermarket (in fact difficult to find something else)...
+1 for Proraso. Great value for money. It's the soap or cream I normally give to friends and colleagues when trying to convert them. The new Super Formula is very good.

I'm also a big fan of Proraso pre-shave products and aftershave lotions.

Saturday's Shave

Pre: Argan Oil Soap
Soap: Signature Soaps Coria
Razor: Feon 6/8 Straight
Brush: Edwin Jagger 25mm Synthetic
Splash: Floid Sauve
Balm: Bema Uomo

Nothing not to like there.

The Feon has been my trial razor while i tried a new stone, and I have got it dialled in just right for me.

Signature Soaps Coria is always a joy , I had forgotten too how much I like Floids , and the EJ Brush I got from the BST I really enjoy.

View attachment 64368
Stunning photo again Russ, glad you’re enjoying the brush.

This shave carried the theme 'In dedication to my father'

View attachment 64439

Razor - Colonial General V2
Blade - Schick Proline
Brush - Wee whisky barrel
Soap - Captain Fawcett's
Scent - Eau Sauvage

As someone mentioned a couple of weeks back they noticed I wasn't quite up to my usual self of recent.

Last October as I mentioned on an SOTD at the time my father went in to hospital for a major cancer operation at the age of 88 and amazingly everything went wonderfully brilliant. Then the complications set in and for the past three months or so he has battled away against pneumonia and sadly last Sunday he passed away. This past week has been incredibly time consuming as I never once thought there would be so much ground to cover.

However I have finally found time to write here in what is a precious piece of 'me time' and as much as a get away from it all and to detract my mind towards something I enjoy. This wonderful corner of the internet and all you TSR folk and the wonderful support you have given in so many ways. So I dedicate this SOTD to my father.

My father was always a wet shaver from as long as I can remember and it was a sneaky first shave aged about 14 using an old Gillette of his which introduced me in to the world of shaving. I may not have followed the 'rules' for some of the time, but it was nice to return to blades which didn't come in the form of a cartridge. And here I am today thanks to dad, shaving away although I do think a 'real' shaving soap and a brush is a vast improvement over my original sin of a block of general bathing soap which every family member had used around their nether regions for several months.

Being an old sea-dog himself I thought the Captain Fawcett's was a perfect tribute and it just happens to be a superb soap with a wonderful fragrance and with all the shaving qualities you could ever want. The brush because I really do love the little whiskey barrel as much as I enjoy a single malt (nearly). And finally the Colonial V2 just to say, 'Dad, I've come along way since being a teenager with fluff issues.

A very fitting shave and wonderful results which I know my father would have enjoyed himself. Good on you big man. As my granddaughter said when told granddad Tom was an angel, 'he will be happy in the clouds'. He most certainly will and very nicely shaven as well.

Be well one and all on this terrific site and may all your shaves be as good as this one.

And why not? He may not have enjoyed the music as much as me but he would understand exactly where I was coming from. Have some Japanese ladies to end on

Deepest condolences for your loss.

C9209868-EDF8-4B74-876C-E8FA0C13D509.jpeg
Shavemac 2016 TSR L.E.
Merkur 41c
Łódź Polsilver (1)
OSP Sandalwood
Humphrey’s witch hazel
OSP Sandalwood a/s lotion

Delightful. First use of an OSP aftershave splash. Excellent post shave nourishment, comparable to my favourite splashes such as Speick & Proraso, enhanced by the wonderful aroma of OSP’s Sandalwood.
Thoroughly refreshed. Enjoy yours and stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom