SOTD : Saturday 06th February to Friday 12th February 2021.

Greetings shavers
Sotd
Razor: Blackland Blackbird safety bar machined ss
Blade: Personna Super
Soap: Martin De Candre Agrumes
Asl: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Brush: Zenith Manchurian badger
Sometimes you deserve a good treatment, and this set up can guarantee that.
Have a nice day and be safe2021-02-08-14-18-23.jpg

Last edited:
This shave carried the theme 'In dedication to my father'

View attachment 64439

Razor - Colonial General V2
Blade - Schick Proline
Brush - Wee whisky barrel
Soap - Captain Fawcett's
Scent - Eau Sauvage

As someone mentioned a couple of weeks back they noticed I wasn't quite up to my usual self of recent.

Last October as I mentioned on an SOTD at the time my father went in to hospital for a major cancer operation at the age of 88 and amazingly everything went wonderfully brilliant. Then the complications set in and for the past three months or so he has battled away against pneumonia and sadly last Sunday he passed away. This past week has been incredibly time consuming as I never once thought there would be so much ground to cover.

However I have finally found time to write here in what is a precious piece of 'me time' and as much as a get away from it all and to detract my mind towards something I enjoy. This wonderful corner of the internet and all you TSR folk and the wonderful support you have given in so many ways. So I dedicate this SOTD to my father.

My father was always a wet shaver from as long as I can remember and it was a sneaky first shave aged about 14 using an old Gillette of his which introduced me in to the world of shaving. I may not have followed the 'rules' for some of the time, but it was nice to return to blades which didn't come in the form of a cartridge. And here I am today thanks to dad, shaving away although I do think a 'real' shaving soap and a brush is a vast improvement over my original sin of a block of general bathing soap which every family member had used around their nether regions for several months.

Being an old sea-dog himself I thought the Captain Fawcett's was a perfect tribute and it just happens to be a superb soap with a wonderful fragrance and with all the shaving qualities you could ever want. The brush because I really do love the little whiskey barrel as much as I enjoy a single malt (nearly). And finally the Colonial V2 just to say, 'Dad, I've come along way since being a teenager with fluff issues.

A very fitting shave and wonderful results which I know my father would have enjoyed himself. Good on you big man. As my granddaughter said when told granddad Tom was an angel, 'he will be happy in the clouds'. He most certainly will and very nicely shaven as well.

Be well one and all on this terrific site and may all your shaves be as good as this one.

And why not? He may not have enjoyed the music as much as me but he would understand exactly where I was coming from. Have some Japanese ladies to end on

Sorry for your loss, I feel for you. All the best.

Mark

8 February

TFS Corte Sabauda
Yaqi Dandelion
Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Silver Blue
Bart’s Amber and Moroccan Jasmine asb

71F46393-EC96-4F2A-A439-2274CCC0F0A5.jpeg

A really good shave today. The Fatboy was set to 4 for the first pass, considering yesterday’s blood letting, and for the second across the grain pass it was set to 8. A nice close comfortable shave was the result and no damage to report. The Yaqi Dandelion brush looks like a boar but performs like a top quality synthetic, which it is. Amazing value for around £20, and highly recommend.

I see Patrick is featuring quite frequently! I do think it is a very nice Fougere!
It is a great fragrance , and my wife really likes when i wear it as well , my Local Chemist stocks other parts of the line and had one bottle of Patrick, but can order it for me on request too. Thanks for telling me about it Brian.

08/02/21
4 for Feb
Shower
Pre: Cold water face wash with Wickams pre shave soap
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 Best Badger
Soap: Signature Soap Danum
Razor: Blackland Tradere
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Cinnamon & Patchouli Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Signature Soap Danum

View attachment 64492

Now that was a nice shave.
I had a shower to soften the bristles then started the shave routine with a cold water face wash with the Wickams pre shave - Brrr!
The Soap took a little bit to get going with the cold brush and then it just sprang to life, wonderful.
I completed 3 passes WTG / XTG & ATG today using a standard shave angle and they were really comfortable, the cold water rinse between passes keeping it very interesting.
The blade seems to have really settled in so will be used until its dead.
A nice post shave routine leaving me BBS and so comfortable today.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.
That is a very nice looking Razor.

This shave carried the theme 'In dedication to my father'

View attachment 64439

Razor - Colonial General V2
Blade - Schick Proline
Brush - Wee whisky barrel
Soap - Captain Fawcett's
Scent - Eau Sauvage

As someone mentioned a couple of weeks back they noticed I wasn't quite up to my usual self of recent.

Last October as I mentioned on an SOTD at the time my father went in to hospital for a major cancer operation at the age of 88 and amazingly everything went wonderfully brilliant. Then the complications set in and for the past three months or so he has battled away against pneumonia and sadly last Sunday he passed away. This past week has been incredibly time consuming as I never once thought there would be so much ground to cover.

However I have finally found time to write here in what is a precious piece of 'me time' and as much as a get away from it all and to detract my mind towards something I enjoy. This wonderful corner of the internet and all you TSR folk and the wonderful support you have given in so many ways. So I dedicate this SOTD to my father.

My father was always a wet shaver from as long as I can remember and it was a sneaky first shave aged about 14 using an old Gillette of his which introduced me in to the world of shaving. I may not have followed the 'rules' for some of the time, but it was nice to return to blades which didn't come in the form of a cartridge. And here I am today thanks to dad, shaving away although I do think a 'real' shaving soap and a brush is a vast improvement over my original sin of a block of general bathing soap which every family member had used around their nether regions for several months.

Being an old sea-dog himself I thought the Captain Fawcett's was a perfect tribute and it just happens to be a superb soap with a wonderful fragrance and with all the shaving qualities you could ever want. The brush because I really do love the little whiskey barrel as much as I enjoy a single malt (nearly). And finally the Colonial V2 just to say, 'Dad, I've come along way since being a teenager with fluff issues.

A very fitting shave and wonderful results which I know my father would have enjoyed himself. Good on you big man. As my granddaughter said when told granddad Tom was an angel, 'he will be happy in the clouds'. He most certainly will and very nicely shaven as well.

Be well one and all on this terrific site and may all your shaves be as good as this one.

And why not? He may not have enjoyed the music as much as me but he would understand exactly where I was coming from. Have some Japanese ladies to end on

My condolences to you and the family,Chris.

Yesterday's late evening shave:

Pre: hot shower, brickell men renewing face scrub then bluebeards revenge preshave oil

Razor: Edward X Jacob (SB )
Blade: Personna (3)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm mysterious space tuxedo
Soap: Signature soaps Danum
Aftershave: Nivea men sensitive post shave balm

Good shave overall - finally getting some decent lather in my last 2-3 shaves - beforehand was just adding too much water! Second soap from the soap pass around - very nice lather , smell was okay to my nose. Picked up small weeper on the ATG pass , but other than that a nice close shave. Still finding front neck area a bit problematic for ATG, since would need to do a sideways pass this way.

All in all happy with results and progress so farIMG_20210208_174217-01.jpeg

Monday 8th February

ACtC-3fG2PiaxHQRZ3irwcw6sRkb0Gg7V1iHXqmB3RoRoZqBje7faVdLdfyNGw2M_QNQYed-vKDBveoKDuuvbfwzHmIFBgAcY22IZDwgx35sJPNMdC-a29JqFIJ1PS9kjjbhtrupOdP59MwVAzh4_X9Fl7hhQw=w800

L'Oreal Men Extra Pure Charcoal Face Wash
Wickham 1912 South Sea Spray Shaving Soap
Semogue SOC Butterscotch (Boar)
Muhle Rocca R95
Vidyut/SuperMax Super Stainless (2)
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

... and that's what I like about these blades!

It's my second run with the (new to me) Vidyut SuperMax Super Stainless in blue packaging. I have used the slightly poorer sibling before, the regular Stainless Economy in the burgundy/yellow packaging and thoroughly enjoyed it! What I liked about it was how it felt more like a carbon blade in use and the regrowth put me in mind of how my stubble feels regrowing after shaving with a carbon blade. I likened the regular Economy Stainless to the Treet DuraSharp in yellow packaging, which is itself a carbon blade but also PTFE coated.

With today's regrowth and tonight's shave, I think I'd say that this blade is more like the Treet DuraSharp, while it's more pedestrian sibling the Economy Stainless is probably more like the Treet Classic, again a carbon blade with PTFE coating. Tonight's shave was a LOT more like the regular Economy Stainless and so I guess the extra treatment that this blade gets over and above the regular (I'm guessing it's something like double stropping, so as to be smoother from the off) has perhaps worn off a little from the first shave.

Either way, very smooth ...

I totally nailed the lather this evening as well. Very good quality indeed, seriously slick and with that lovely denseness and shininess that only @motto seems to get every shave. Lucky fellow! I also very much enjoyed the Pinaud Clubman VIBR - a splash that I know will give me a great feeling throughout this evening and super-comfortable regrowth again tomorrow.

Of course, one thing the Treet carbon blades that I mention here have as an advantage over these stainless blades is that they do respond to stropping once the initial keen edge starts to drop off. Stainless, of course, doesn't rust during the working life of the blade.

Swings and roundabouts, as we say ...

Enjoy your Monday evening, guys!

Last edited:
Monday AM 2021-02-08
National Boy Scout Day
EUxPSeV.jpg

Rooney Stubby 2 Porcelain Finest (24/50)
Harrods by Floris (tallow) shaving soap + Moroccan Rose Absolute/Hydrosol
LASSC BBS-1
Wilkinson London Bridge (14)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave (vintage)

Another great one, accompanied by a piano rag by Scott Joplin. The absolute solution really revived the old soap.
EzR4RLy.jpg

Good evening everyone

Brush - T&H best badger
Soap - HWF
Razor - Progress 2-3-2
Blade - GSB #2
Post - Barts Cinnamon and Patchouli Balm
ASL - Barts Cinnamon and Patchouli ASL

After finishing the shave I didn’t think it went to well for some reason. Half an hour later and post shave all is good.
First time with the HWF and it is a very nice soap, all topped off with Barts post shave products and my face is feeling extremely smooth and smelling great.

Stay safe gents and have a good rest of the evening.

C270609A-9A8E-4D47-B012-2C543200791C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom