SOTD Sat 2nd Feb - Fri 8th Feb 2013

Helveticum said:
Spanish shave today! (well, at least software wise)

Cold shower
Vitos pre/post
LEA shave stick
Muhle synthetic silvertip
Merkur 37c w/Astra
Alum
Myrsol agua de Limon
La Toja ASB

I'm underwhelmed by the LEA stick despite all of the high praise - it doesn't match my German soaps (Speick, Tabac), far from it.
On a positive side though, I really liked Myrsol - nice and fresh lemon scent, decent skin conditioning and a great menthol kick (more potent than Proraso, I'd say). La Toja is just a workhorse - decent ASB, but nothing to write home about.
And how was the shave? DFS, I'd say. LEA didn't give enough protection to do a proper BBS.
Hi Helveticum.

There are two versions of the LEA stick: The older without tallow and the most recent with tallow and Lanolin. Maybe you have the old version because I heard that the protection of the new soap is great.

If you like to know more about it use the following link (using the Google translator if you don't speak spanish, of course) to read a review at the spanish forum afeitadoclasico.com: http://www.afeitadoclasico.com/foro/jabones-y-cremas/revision-barrita-lea-con-lanolina-t11459.html

You can see the shape and the Ingredients list in the pics to compare with your soap.

RETDSCF1702.jpg
RETDSCF1699.jpg

Regards.

Friday02- 08-13. MUSICA: John Barry_Out of Africa soundtrack Suite.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZ2adCaKo4[/video]

54a1da83-969b-40a1-8bfd-3e751cae1f65.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Morris & Forndran blonde badger 28X56 - Gillette Rocket HD 500 - Iridium Super #4 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream The Art of Shaving Saldalwood - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Skin Food Sandalwood - ASL Honeybee Gardens Sandalwood.

A great soundtrack for a great shave.

Slow Shaving said:
There are two versions of the LEA stick: The older without tallow and the most recent with tallow and Lanolin. Maybe you have the old version because I heard that the protection of the new soap is great.

Hi mate,

it's the new one I've got. Look, I'm not saying it's an utter rubbish - I'm sure it allows for a good lather once you get the ratio and all things right, but the thing is - I didn't, and with other soaps like Speick or Tabac I do every single time. That's why I rate them so highly and benchmark against all factors, including ease of lathering. Can't crack La Toja either, btw - although the lather seems lovely, it just doesn't seem to protect enough for a really close shave.

jds said:
Mmmm.. I've been intrigued by the Myrsol range.... I like your description of the Agua de Limon, it certainly appeals to me. They have some very enticing looking products... maybe next month!

Jon

Hi Jon, yeah that monkey's been on my back for quite a while.. There are so many, just couldn't decide which one to start with! But since I have after shaves like Lucky Tiger and Speick, that put Agua Balsamica (VERY strong contender) a bit down the list, so I went for the freshness this time.

Helveticum said:
Slow Shaving said:

Hi mate,

it's the new one I've got. Look, I'm not saying it's an utter rubbish - I'm sure it allows for a good lather once you get the ratio and all things right, but the thing is - I didn't, and with other soaps like Speick or Tabac I do every single time. That's why I rate them so highly and benchmark against all factors, including ease of lathering. Can't crack La Toja either, btw - although the lather seems lovely, it just doesn't seem to protect enough for a really close shave.

Hello again.

I know, in fact I don't like the LEA stick a lot and la Toja either, I prefer Speick or Tabac too . I have done the comment only for knowledge. :angel:

Good shaves. :icon_smile:

UKRob said:
Something spooky going on here Mikael - your Penhaligons bottle appears to be levitating.

Yes... and have you seen the Turkish hat as well!? :icon_surprised:

Prep: hot shower
Brush: Custom by Henk
Razor: Shavemac by Dovo
Cream: English Rose by Vulfix
AS: Prada
Strops: by Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

0081024x676-1_zps91a3a242.jpg

Today's Shave

1926 Ever Ready Shovel (The Lu-Lu Razor)
GEM Blade
The Profs Endymion Shaving Soap/ After Shave Balm
Kent BK8 Brush

Result BSS WTG

Looking on my iPad Endymion means
A remarkably beautiful young man,loved by the moon (selene)
According to one story,he was put into an eternal sleep by Zeus for having fallen in love with Hera,and then was visited by Selene.

The randy little bleeder.:icon_razz:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 9
Prep: MWF + Hot Flannel
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Soap: MWF
Razor: Weber POL/Bulldog
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
A/S: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda After Shave Balm
EDT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

I've been skiing this week in Switzerland so I've used the same gear all week.

LEA Stick
Vulfix 660
Gillette Long Comb New
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Proraso AS
Nivea Anti - irritation balm

Shaves have all been fantastic. Holiday has been utterly excellent!

Proraso Pre
Michael Klim Shave Milk
Omega Ovangkol 11126
Wilkinson Hydro
Witch Hazel Gel.

Well that did not go well at all,Shaved at Seven this morning one pass
And my face is still sore.Possably the gel in the lube strip has played me
Up.back to the Merkur and Astra tomorrow.It did remind me why I
Changed to DE shaving.

Some new acquisitions to try out:

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
Simpson Colonel X2L brush, Nanny's hard soap, Cedarwood and Vetyver
Weber Polished, Rapira Swedish SS (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

DFS+ and no irritation.

Cold Water Splash
Merkur 37c
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #1
Neep 26mm Extra Silvertip
MWF
Proraso Post
Proraso Splash

Excellent 2 pass cold water face lather shave. The slant cut through a weeks worth of whiskers like they weren't there, that thing is so efficient :D

Back
Top Bottom