SOTD Sat 16th Feb - Fri 22th Feb 2013...

Friday

The week is nearly over, it's been a tough one.

Out tonight helping a mate on a posh togging job so I thought I'd have an afternoon shave to refresh myself.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Neep 29mm Extra Silvertip
Cream: T+H West Indian Limes
Razor: 7 o'clock New with UFO 2 handle
Blade: Gillette 'Swede'
Balm: T+H West Indian Limes
Cologne: T+H West Indian Limes

Excellent shave, am feeling much better now. Time to pack up the camera gear, get myself suited and booted and off to mix with the rich and famous.

IMG_0497_zpsde3dc5dc.jpg

2mdm6tu.jpg

Pre hot towel + Penhaligon's shaving soap + Semogue SOC boar + Weber Bulldog with Merkur head and Super Flash blade + Thayers Medicated + TOBS Mr Taylor splash with La Chinata balm

A good shave although I need to change this blade...

Cheers!

Friday afternoon.

Prep: Cold water face wash
Soap: Nanny's Arabian Nights
Brush: Neep 28mm Extra Silvertip
Razor: Polished Weber/Bulldog handle
Blade: Super Iridium (4)
A/S: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda After Shave Balm
EDT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Smooth and feeling great :)

Today's Shave
sotd22213.jpg

Muhle R41
Wilkinson sword Blade
MWF
Kent BK8 Brush

Result BSS WTG
That is the most aggressive DE razor I've ever shaved with to date, But it works for me,
thankfully I've had some practice with my slant bars so the touch is the same...ie No pressure applied, and no blood loss nor irritation to boot..... YES :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
This razor shall be known as.........................
hannible.jpg

Friday 22nd

sotd22213.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Nanny's warm spice hard soap scuttle lathered
Simpsons 59 best badger brush
Merkur Progress long handle set at 2.5
Gillette super thin (1)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Boots Freshwood aftershave balm

Lovely close irritation free shave. The Gillette super thin is a fine blade, first time for me after getting a few to try from Connaughts. Sharp smooth and efficient.

Brian

harrygr said:
Great picture ch2700!

thanks, I wasn't going to take a picture today (the dreaded shopping awaited :mad:)
But I arrogantly set up for a photo shoot, Mrs J wasn't very happy, but it's art!!!!can't let the gents down now can I ;)

Best shave to date this morning:

Merkur 38C HD
Feather blade
Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus cream
Bluebeards Revenge post shave balm

BBS, comfortable with a cool tingle & gorgeous smell from the citrus cream, and no claret! Winner.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: M&F
Razors: Erik Anton Berg frameback + Micromatic (for head)
Soap: LEA stick
AS: Aqua Velva by Williams
Edt: Penhaligon's English Fern
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Decided two things while in the shower - 1. I should bowl lather the LEA stick 2. I should use the (scary) legendary Micromatic for my head shave, for the first time. One was a good call, of the two... and the bad one was that the lather got a little dry, but I worked the stick on the skin before each pass and got an excellent lather, especially at the head, which I think also led to one of the smoothest and cleanest head shave in the history :D
0091024x714_zps0af2f48e.jpg

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: M&F
Razors: Erik Anton Berg frameback + Micromatic (for head)
Soap: LEA stick
AS: Aqua Velva by Williams
Edt: Penhaligon's English Fern
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Decided two things while in the shower - 1. I should bowl lather the LEA stick 2. I should use the (scary) legendary Micromatic for my head shave, for the first time. One was a good call, of the two... and the bad one was that the lather got a little dry, but I worked the stick on the skin before each pass and got an excellent lather, especially at the head, which I think also led to one of the smoothest and cleanest head shave in the history :D
0091024x714_zps0af2f48e.jpg

Looks like the Micromatic likes you :icon_cheesygrin: good little shavers when you get it right. :)

Pre: hot shower with very rich proraso lather.

Razor : Merkur slant

Cream: Nanny's

AS: alum

Balm: Which hazel

All said a little more than my usual kit but nice.

PS come visit
Dublin re gathering

John said:
Looks like the Micromatic likes you :icon_cheesygrin: good little shavers when you get it right. :)

So it seems, I was very light on the hand and had an extreme low angle, but it still cut excellent and close. I saw you bought a Muhle 41, I had one of those for a while and I think it's more aggressive than the Micromatic (I think the thin DE blade cuts you faster, I could stop in time with the Micromatic, but with the Muhle you don't notice anything until it's to late - only my two pennies worth though).

Mikael said:
John said:

So it seems, I was very light on the hand and had an extreme low angle, but it still cut excellent and close. I saw you bought a Muhle 41, I had one of those for a while and I think it's more aggressive than the Micromatic (I think the thin DE blade cuts you faster, I could stop in time with the Micromatic, but with the Muhle you don't notice anything until it's to late - only my two pennies worth though).

Yes your right about the R41/Micromatc it's very aggressive I've had to use all my knowledge and skill not get a hacking today, the Micromatc gives a fare warning before she bites and I think the Micromatc shaves just a little closer as well,thankfully I haven't got cut from the R41(Hannibal Lecter)......yet hence the wilkinson sword blade :angel: might dig out my micromatic tomorrow just for the hell of it :)

sotd4_zpsbea42f0f.jpg

Razor: 17/16 Home made custom
Strop: Home made 3"
Soap: MWF
Prep: Wash then lather face, Strop then re-lather
Shave: 1 x ATG + touch-up
Astringent: witch hazel
Balm: Nivea
Aftershave: Guerlain Vetiver EDT

Had four days growth and decided to try something different ( for me )
I have over time developed my routine and for quite some time now have been using a WTG pass then a ATG pass with great results.
Tonight I just went straight in with a ATG pass and to my amazement it was brilliant. Just needed a few touch-ups to achieve BBS.
Think this is going to be my new method !

Pre: hot shower with very rich proraso lather and my new tub of 3p

Razor : Merkur slant

Blade : Personna

Cream: Nanny's

AS: alum

Balm: Which hazel

Best shave in a while.

All said a little more than my usual kit but nice.

PS come visit
Dublin re gathering

Back
Top Bottom