SOTD Sat 16th Feb - Fri 22th Feb 2013...

Shower + Myrsol emulsión
Vie-Long 16735
MÜHLE R89 + Iridium Super
Kent shaving soap
AS Mennen Green Tonic

img5442copia.jpg

:icon_wink:​

Prep: Shower
Scuttle: Schwarzweisskeramik
Brush: Simpson's Chubby 1 Best Badger
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soap Co. "Patchouli" (soft)
Razor: Pavageau, tail-less, 13/16 quarter hollow
Astringent: Osma Alum
Aftershave: St James of London Cedarwood & Clarynsage AS Cologne

SOTD7_zps09c85581.jpg

Notes: I must admit to thinking fairly black thoughts when I received this razor yesturday. It looked altogether too perfect and clean for the age this type of model must be.
I thought for sure that it had been reground from a wedge to a quarter hollow, with resultant destruction of the temper.
Or even an imitation.

The previous owner had stated that he had honed it up for a shave but wasn't happy enough with it to keep it. Certainly the tail-less design takes a little more grip and angle control which is perhaps why they aren't so popular.

Regardless, I gave it some time on a coticule, thuri and special stone. Took and held a really good edge - one of the sharpest and most even I've managed to get without overhoning.

The shave confirmed it - very smooth and effortless. I didn't bother going WTG, just straight to ATG and no sting. A keeper for sure.

Hardly any deformation of the edge afterwards. Result!

Wednesday 20th February

Hot shower and Facial Scrub
Shavex cream
Muhle R41/Super Max Titanium
Frank Shaving Richmond 24x50 Silvertip
TOBS Lime and Lemon Cream
Lucky Tiger AS/Toner
Organic Shea Butter
Selin Lemon Cologne
Morgans Classic Pomade
Brians Own Moustache wax

I tried something different today.....the R41 is the only razor I own which makes me think. The others ...more or less come naturally. With the R41 I have to concentrate for every moment to avoid a blood bath. 2 pass BBS but for me at least......not a razor I enjoy using.

wai said:
Notes: I must admit to thinking fairly black thoughts when I received this razor yesturday. It looked altogether too perfect and clean for the age this type of model must be.
I thought for sure that it had been reground from a wedge to a quarter hollow, with resultant destruction of the temper.
Or even an imitation.

The previous owner had stated that he had honed it up for a shave but wasn't happy enough with it to keep it. Certainly the tail-less design takes a little more grip and angle control which is perhaps why they aren't so popular.

Regardless, I gave it some time on a coticule, thuri and special stone. Took and held a really good edge - one of the sharpest and most even I've managed to get without overhoning.

The shave confirmed it - very smooth and effortless. I didn't bother going WTG, just straight to ATG and no sting. A keeper for sure.

Hardly any deformation of the edge afterwards. Result!

It does look a very nice razor and even bevel. I assume it's French - did you get if from France?

UKRob said:
It does look a very nice razor and even bevel. I assume it's French - did you get if from France?

Hi UKRob - twas from fleabay, purchased for the princely sum of £22.

I can't find any information about it from the french marques website nor from Google.

Contacted the seller to find out where he obtained it from. My guess - back of an uncle's cupboard or car boot.

I think the scales are very old wood that had been stained a dark brown. They're slightly warped and very hard. I'm afraid to stick it into the ultrasonic cleaner in case something happens to them.

Best regards,

Wai

mattyb240 said:
John said:
Today's Shave

sotd20213.jpg

Merkur 39C Slant Bar
Feather Blade
NSS French Lavender
Suribachi Shaving Bowl
Kent BK8 Brush
Result BSS WTG :D

Jesus Christ that's a lot of lather?! I wonder if the roughness damages the tips?
I haven't noticed any so far, but I've only had the bowl for a short time.. so early days
I should point out that this is what these bowls can do I'm surprised that nobody else had taken a photo like this before in all honesty.

John, what a really nice leaher!!

Wednesday 02-20-13.

8dc4e457-eb8c-40da-b416-3bcbe13e0ab6.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Semogue SOC two bands - Gillette Rocket HD 500 - 7 O'clock yellow #1 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Nancy Boy Replenishing - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Herbissimo - ASL Lilac Vegetal.

John said:
I haven't noticed any so far, but I've only had the bowl for a short time.. so early days
I should point out that this is what these bowls can do I'm surprised that nobody else had taken a photo like this before in all honesty.

Is that the soft (normal) NSS French Lavender soap?

My effort with Patchouli is quite pathetic in comparison...too much water!

wai said:
John said:

Is that the soft (normal) NSS French Lavender soap?

My effort with Patchouli is quite pathetic in comparison...too much water!

yes it is the soft soap, with this bowl what I do is heat the bowl+brush with hot water
tip out hot water apply soft shaving soap into the groves of bowl shake out exssive water from brush start the lathering adding a few drops of water as needed and hey presto your lather awaits sir.That's with the kent BK8 brush haven't tried the bowl with
some other brushes....yet.

Mikael said:
Slow Shaving said:
John, what a really nice leaher!!

+ 1 looks lovely!

Thanks gents what I've typed is my recipe to get that.

Back
Top Bottom