SOTD Sat 14/07/12 - Fri 20/07/12

Mama Bear's Lime Ice shaving soap
Progress on 2, 1.5 with vintage Permasharp
Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balsalm, Tuxedo

Very nice shave. These Permasharps' carton says made in England, their plastic dispensers say made in England but on the blade itself it says made in Turkey. Nice smooth, close shave for my first try with these particular Permasharps

Thursday

Gillette A3 1955 Superspeed
Wilkinson Sword SS (2)
Grosvenor 404 Bodger
Erasmic Cream

Nivea ASB
Old Spice Original (from India) AS*

Three pass, face lather.

*Almost the same kit - but exactly the same result. Splendid again!
:icon_razz:

The new Erasmic cream is a bargain at only £1.00 per tube (at Savers). Yes, ok, it appears to have lost the traditional aroma but it provides terrific shaving lubrication. Recommended.

Good morning friends! :)

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 23 mm Vie-Long 16510 Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush
SOAP/CREAM: La Maison du Barbier Soap
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: 6/8" Thiers Issard Le Canadien Carbonsong
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: L'occitane Vetyver EDT
RESULT: Excellent, BBS shave

SODT_TI_B-1.jpg

Have a nice day,
Béla​

Hot Cloth Prep
Kyoku shave cream
EJ89
Gillette Rubie

Not the best shave i have had. used the Kyoku for the first time and think it was
due to my technique with brushless creams that let the shave down.Will try
harder tomorrw.:icon_sad:

Thursday

Trumper Warwick Razor
Shark Super Chrome Blade
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Brush
Provence Santé Shaving Soap
Witch Hazel

The EJ Silvertip arrived yesterday from Fido's current sale, so I reverted back to a familiar soap so that I could appraise it. It's a very nice brush indeed, and I don't think it'll be leaving the bathroom for some time.

Ian

Greetings

Thursday 19th July 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick Injector Type I and then 7o'clock 'New' head on Muhle R41 Handle
Blade: 1950s Schick and then Astra SP
Soap: GZD Squeezed into a container
Brush: Omega 39 Boar

Another really bad start! I received a lovely little Schick Type I from Steve (Sunburyboy) yesterday so I just had to shave with it this morning.

Having no modern injector blades as yet I used one of the 50s Eversharp blades that was in a dispenser with the razor. I had exactly the same experience as I had yesterday with the vintage GEM blade a bad one, a bloody bad one in fact! My eyes were filling with tears as I moved the razor down my cheek on the first pass and I had to abandon the shave altogether as I had no other blades. It was definitely the blade, it is a smashing little razor.

I made a complete fresh start with the DE Frankenrazor and ended up with a superb shave in the end.

There must have been a time when better SE blades then the ones I tried were available, I know technology has moved on especially with regard to blade coatings, but basic superb carbon and stainless steel was available then as it is now so why are these blades so damn awful?

I keep reading some wonderful reports on some vintage DE blades I wonder why these are so different?

Regards
Dick

2qbdjx2.jpg

Veleiro pre soap + Myrurgia stick + New Forest 2213 + UFO U2 Long with Muhle R41 2010 head and Filomatic + Myrsol Agua Balsámica with LEA balm

And almost full spanish shave, very clean!

Cheers!

Re: RE: SOTD Sat 14/07/12 - Fri 20/07/12

MachM said:
Getting smoother. I tried the grip that Dr Rick uses for my south to north pass on my neck and the result is much smoother. A couple of small nicks, but all in all very happy.

Excellent :).

I'm glad I shot the pics, because my memory of what I do is not the same as what my hands know to do :). I find with my other straights I have it open 180°, thumb and little finger under, other three on top - so very similar, really.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Kropp 6/8", black horn scales, restored by UKRob
Brush: Neep #955 soapstone ball and bobbin silvertip
Soap: Taylor's Jermyn Street
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger
Scent: D R Harris Arlington

First rate.

Merkur 34c
Astra SP (3)
New Forest 2213
GFT Lime cream
Witch hazel
Proraso white balm

Penhaligon's Castile

As close to BBS as I've ever had - although I had to make 4 passes and a touch up for it. Only went for it because I overloaded the brush with cream, made far too much lather, and didn't want what I'd made to go to waste!

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Origin Best gold Steel in Ivory restored by UKRob
Neep #1214 - Aztec Leopard Skin Jasper
L'Occitane Cade shaving soap
Nivea Replenishing balm
Witch hazel

Bit patchy tonight - I need to concentrate more

19-07-12.JPG

Back
Top Bottom