Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick J3 Golden 500
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Vulfix 404 Mixed
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A really nice shave.

DSC04165.JPG

Utterly superb shave. Really took my time (over half an hour) and got BBS all over with minimal irritation just round the mouth area.

Vintage Cussons shaving soap stick grated into a container and New Leather fragrance oil added
Henk walnut silvertip
Open Comb New with Tiger Superior Stainless (2)
Paco Rabane XS a/s

I don't know how old the soap is. Judging by the style of the bakelite container it came in I would guess it was from the 1940s-1960s. I have used it a few times before and it produces an incredibly thick, rich lather with little effort and offers lots of glide and slip and doesn't dry out while it's sitting there. In terms of performance it's in my top ten, possibly my top five. It had a terrible industrial smell akin to very harsh nasty soaps I remember from school. The fragrance oil has taken care of that though.
I took very short, very light strokes (which is why it took so long) to get such a great result. There isn't always the time for this razor (or rather, I don't always make the time) but I can see why people like it so much. Lose The Beard seems to rate this head over all the others he's tried (and he's tried lots) if I recall correctly, and I feel as though in the last few months I've mastered this razor that I've had for about eighteen months and used sporadically.

Norfolkdick said:
I have at last managed to buy an early model Damskeene after many months of trying.

I must say that all the hype is correct and justified, it produced one of my greatest shaves ever; certainly quite a bit better than any of my other 1912's or my later model 'Dammy' and dare I say it as good as the OCMM possibly a little better.

I need to get a lot more shaves under my belt with this razor before passing final judgement, but it is instantly obvious that it is a truly great shaving razor.

Regards
Dick.

What's doin over there in Limeyland,

So I gotta ask you about this whole Damaskeene thingy. Over the years I've seen reference to that particular SE and most people seem to find it one of the better designs. From what I understand, the head's tweaked just a smidge, but I guess it makes a difference to some shavers. Now it turns out there's both old and new versions eh? Never heard of that before, but then I know very little about SE razors (except for injectors).

Anyway, thanks for the post. It's sorta interesting to read about finding little variations on a theme, even if I don't use what's being discussed.

Martin

Sunday:

Ingram's cream
Semogue 2012 SE
Slim Adjustable
Red Personna
T&H Trafalgar AS
Nivea Anti irritation ASB

Nice close shave. Smooth and comfortable. The consistency of the Ingram's seems to have changed. It seems to have become more watery as I've used it, weird. Still working fine though.

Prep: Proraso White
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Chubby 2 - Super two band
Razor: Weber DLC/UFO U2 - Polisilver

Wow what a shave BBS. This brush, my first time, my dream brush! It's just a wall of badger so dense but so silky soft.

This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: J. A. Henckels 72 1/2, 6/8"
Brush: Neep #947 yew ball and bobbin silvertip
Soap: Nanny's French Lavender (hard)

Excellent as usual.

mattyb240 said:
Prep: Proraso White
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Chubby 2 - Super two band
Razor: Weber DLC/UFO U2 - Polisilver

Wow what a shave BBS. This brush, my first time, my dream brush! It's just a wall of badger so dense but so silky soft.

Great to hear you're enjoying it so much. If I could afford any of the expensive Simpsons, that'd be the fella. An pogonotomical icon!

Sunday 14th April

sotd14413.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons Commodore x3 best badger brush
Weber POL with bulldog handle
Lord Platinum (1)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Comfortable shave from the Lord blade and the quality of the Arlington cream lather.

Brian

8647768823_432347df0f_z.jpg

EJDE89L, BiC, 'New Century' in Ash, Ingrams, Witch Hazel w/Lavender, Barbershop Bay Rum, Astral.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Prep: Hot flannel
Razor: Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather Professional (3)
Brush: New Forest 2221
Cream: GFT Sandalwood cream - face lathered
Post shave: Alcolado Glacial and IK balm

Used as featherlight a touch as possible today and the results were once again excellent.

Back
Top Bottom