SOTD Sat 12th-Fri 18th Jan

Gairdner said:
This morning's raspings:

Gillette fat-handled English Tech

This Tech is the lighter headed later model which I'm not as keen on but nonetheless it gave an excellent shave

I just cannot keep from helping you out,

Yes, it's almost like my mission is to talk you into using shaving crap. If you like that Tech, you will love the Stahly head stuck on a nice handle. Much heavier than any Tech head, with a nice chrome shine to em.

I am gonna put your name on that list to test drive one of those. I can't help it.

Martin

dodgy said:
Gairdner said:
This morning's raspings:

Gillette fat-handled English Tech

This Tech is the lighter headed later model which I'm not as keen on but nonetheless it gave an excellent shave

I just cannot keep from helping you out,

Yes, it's almost like my mission is to talk you into using shaving crap. If you like that Tech, you will love the Stahly head stuck on a nice handle. Much heavier than any Tech head, with a nice chrome shine to em.

I am gonna put your name on that list to test drive one of those. I can't help it.

Martin

You naughty man! :D

THURSDAY EVENING

Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Voshkod (2)
Semogue OC Boar
Nannys lavender hard soap
Witch hazel
Gillette AS balm

After finally snagging a good sticky I just had to give it a run out tonight.

All the reviews I had read about it said it was a very mild razor (a la Tech) so I was shaving with a bit of trepidation as a Tech doesn't work for me at all.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find it delivered a great shave. I could really feel where the blade was, so it really worked for me.

On the negative side, I picked up three tubes of this Gillette balm in Sainsburys as they were flogging it off and I can feel it burning a bit. Bugger.

Proraso pre/post
Proraso SC Menthol
Simpson Duke 2 Best
Gillette yellow 7 o'clock (1)
1954 Gillette Flare Tip
Thayer's Lemon Astringent
Thayer's Original Toner

A bit rushed this morning so went for a basic, quick acceptable 2 pass shave.
First use of the flare tip. Picked it up on eBay for $10. It's a bit beaten up.
Easy shave if not close. A bit tuggy in parts especially around the neck where I'm pretty wiry.

Overall - a reasonable result. Will need to give the flare tip a few more outings, but clearly a mild, quick shaver as described by many.
Certainly won't be my go to razor but ok for an occasional spin.

Tall_Paul said:
Wilkinson Sword Sticky

After finally snagging a good sticky I just had to give it a run out tonight.

All the reviews I had read about it said it was a very mild razor (a la Tech) so I was shaving with a bit of trepidation as a Tech doesn't work for me at all.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find it delivered a great shave. I could really feel where the blade was, so it really worked for me.

Good looking razor (saw it earlier). What's even better is it being a good fit as well. That handle's nice isn't it?

Congrats on the nice addition to your shaving arsenal (and one more monkey euthanized),

Martin

dodgy said:
Good looking razor (saw it earlier). What's even better is it being a good fit as well. That handle's nice isn't it?

Congrats on the nice addition to your shaving arsenal (and one more monkey euthanized),

Martin

Cheers Martin. Yes, it was a small proboscis monkey that I've managed to pluck off.

The handle is very nice, and I really like the design too (a bit of a sucker for clever things like that).

Tall_Paul said:
dodgy said:

Martin

Cheers Martin. Yes, it was a small proboscis monkey that I've managed to pluck off.

The handle is very nice, and I really like the design too (a bit of a sucker for clever things like that).

I remember reading of your frustrating experience with the last Wilkie Sticky you purchased so glad to hear you've got another and are enjoying it to boot.

Picture? :angel:

SOTD01-17-2013Post_zps26dadda9.jpg

Friday

Normal early morning service resumes

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Neep 28mm Extra Silvertip in Kingfisher Burl
Cream: TOBS Eton College
Razor: 7 o'clock New with UFO2 handle
Blade: Gillette SuperThin (2)
A/S: TOBS Eton College
Cologne: TOBS Eton College

A quick 2 pass shave this morning, nice and comfortable and surprisingle close.

Greetings

Friday 18th January 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Junior
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Omega 39 Boar
Soap: Lea grated into a container + Lea cream + glycerine= überlather
Aftershave: Adidas Balm

Bowl lathered this morning, just for a change, super lather but I do find it to be a lot of 'faffing' about to achieve much the same quality lather as my usual face lather. A bit like typing these umlauts!

Regards
Dick.

Friday

It's unusual I get to take a pic these days, but I'm snowed in, so why not?

118513d1358504905-sun-january-13th-sat-january-19th-img_0702.jpg

Kent T4
Martin de Candre
Filly DT 13, black scales
Roger & Gallet L'Homme ASB
Terre d' Hermes Pure Parfum

Hmmm...... still feeling my face all over. Totally BBS!!!

Truefitt and Hill Almond shaving cream
Progress on 2, 1 with Gillette Super Blue
Henk walnut silvertip
Paco Rabane XS a/s

Good result. The T&H almond smells like Cella to me - no bad thing at all! Plenty of lather from a small amount of cream.

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
NF Tubby 1 brush
TOBS Sandalwood Cream
Gillette Fatboy (setting 5), Gillette Super Thin, improved stainless (3)
Cold splash and alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

I'm a bit wary of over-using BBS... so this was a PDC (pretty damn close)
The Super Thins are keepers... tiny bit nicky but clean as a whistle after alum and balm
Going to force myself to rotate the Fatboy (oo-er) tomorrow... but which to try next?

Cold shower
AoS pre shave oil
Noxzema coconut butter foam (had to test it)
Schick Injector
Old Spice AS
IK ASB

Well, it was a damn fine and easy shave. Not pure BBS as with a slant, for instance, but very, very good - injector chopped through a 4 days stubble like a champ, far better than many DEs would. Noxzema is definitely an option for a rush hour.

The daily rasp:

Jagger '89L
Rapira Swede with double shim
Simpsons Colonel X2L
Trumper's coconut hard soap
James Bronnley Original AS
Astral cream

Good but a bit rougher than usual. I seemed to be chasing the stubble around and probably did too many touch ups but DFS results helped by a liberal dosings of the AS and Astral cream. Face feels great outside in the cold weather but I still reckon I overdid it so will lay off tomorrow. Had meant to use some chocolate shaving soap kindly sent to me by NTS but embarrassingly, I forgot. The Trumpers lathered up very well indeed but doesn't feel as slick or as protective as good old Ingrams. Desert Island stuff for me is yon Ingrams.

Back
Top Bottom