SOTD Sat 12th-Fri 18th Jan

Wacker 6/8 <<Chevalier>>, Vie-Long 13071 (the Chevalier needs a horse..), AS GEO F Trumper fragrance free mosturizing lotion, Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac shaving cream to open and EdP to finish

003scz.jpg

3p Pre Shave
Kyoku Shave Cream
Merkur 33c
Astra sp
Sudocream

Not the best this morning.A combination of poor cream and one shave too
many with the blade.Still the Sudocream will soothe the worst of it.

L'Oreal face wash for men.
New Forest super badger brush.
Edwin Jagger Sandalwood shaving soap.
Muhle R89 with Personna red #2.
Neals Yard ASB.
Floris Santal (sample).

Nice shave with no irritation.

First shave with the 25C

Prep: Shower
Soap: TOBS St. James
Razor: Merkur 25C OC
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: New Forest 2213
Aftershave: Alum block, Tabac ASB

Chose the Merkur 25C Open Comb as a milder alternative to the Muhle R41 which frightens me a bit. It's the long-handled version of the 15C.
Out of the box it has a lovely shiny finish and much lighter than my Progress and EJ DE89L. Blade is right on the comb so wasn't sure how this thing was going to cut at all. Did all the usual prep and razor does feel very mild, definitely safe and I would recommend for a beginner.
I guess the trick is if you see tramlines after the razor, the angle to the face is too shallow, so the blade's not touching the skin. Adjusting the handle away from the face prevents tramlines and you hear some cutting going on. Too much of an angle and you're off the blade and onto the razor head. There's only a small range of angles that can be used which is why it's such a safe razor.

Anyway, 3-pass shave went fine without incident, very easy to drive and zero irritation.
Afterwards face feels close shaven, a little closer than the EJ 89 but not as close as the trusty Progress, which is what I kind of expected.

This is my first long-handled razor, so I get the chance to see if that suits me. Actually I think for me the extra handle length does not make much of a difference as I don't seem to use it and just gets in the way. So I think I'll stick with regular/short handles in future. Interesting trying out these kind of differences though.

In summary nice easy razor to use, with a decent close shave; especially suited for hangovers or half-asleep mornings.

I might even try it using a shim to position the blade further off the comb to see if I can get a closer shave, but for now I'm happy with my new acquisition.

Greetings

Saturday 12th January 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Burma Shave Boar
Soap: Lea Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

Really nice shave, the Lea lanolin and glycerine shave stick has to be in my top four best performing shaving soaps. I am finding it hard to rank this against Wilkinson Sword (stick) Spieck and Tabac it is more or less a number one tie between these four soaps, shortly followed by Tweex Arko and Palmolive those three vying for second place.

Your views of course may differ..........perhaps greatly!

Regards
Dick.

Today's Shave

nssbk12shave.jpg

1920s Ever-Ready
GEM Blade
Kent BK12 Brush
NSS Cedarwood & Vetyver shaving soap

Result BSS :D

lovely razor, interesting how I get a BSS with this, but not with a slant bar.... isn't it
:s

merkur hd
flying eagle 74c
shavemac #25 silvertip
truefitt and hill lavender shaving cream
bleu de chanel AS
jo malone vetiver cologne

these flying eagle blades are a great one shave blade. no irritation and a lovely close shave, i got 250 for buttons so dont mind throwing them after one shave.

Gillette 'red' shaving cream (forget the proper name as mine was a sample)
Henk walnut silvertip
Progress on 1.5, 1 with Ri Mei Platinum (fourth shave, I think!)
Superdrug Sierran Breeze a/s

Really nice.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Ever Ready badger
1970s Schick M type adjustable injector/Schick Super Comfort Edge (NOS)
RL Safari SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Roger and Gallet L'Homme 'Sport' EdT

Tried this vintage blade and it was good. Smooth and on the sharper side.

I swear there's nothing that shaves my neck better than the injector.....whew it's pretty damn smooth.

BBS results,

Martin

Saturday 01-12-13. MUSIC: Lou Reed.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEXI-E1yGYY[/video]

Afeitado_2013-01-12-1.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Simpson Chubby 1 best badger - Gillette Rocket HD 500 - Astra green #1 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Calani Dubai - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Truefitt & Hill - ASL Spark.

Saturday 12th

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Nannys Warm Spice hard soap scuttle lathered
Simpsons Polo 8 brush
Weber POL stainless razor bulldog handle
Astra SP (2)
Cold rinse
Nivea post shave balm

DFS lovely shave no irritation today very enjoyable :) Nannys soap is very easy to lather and performs really well. The Weber and Astra SP are a good match equal to the Gillette 7 oclock yellows.

Brian

Afternoon, Gents.

Saturday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 head with an iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Derby (1)
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor
Shave soap: Kell's Hemp/Aloe Juniper Sage
A/S: Pinaud Clubman

A good shave with no irritation.

Saturday

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Cella
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Razor: 7 o'clock New with UFO 2 handle
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (2)
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

Excellent Shave, had a huge amount of luxurious lather after soaking the brush and the soap whilst I was in the shower. An excellent BBS finish :)

Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash, Hot Flannel
Soap: Nanny's Bergamot & Coriander
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Razor: Weber POL/Bulldog
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda After Shave Balm

Didn't use Proraso Pre/Post today. Can't say I noticed any degradation in quality of the shave. Also skipped alum as I'm trying to eradicate a couple blotchy spots and want to rule out allergy to alum or the menthol in Proraso.

Back
Top Bottom