Shave of the Day Week Commencing 24/09/11

Thank you Mikael. I've got her into scents, you know. She knows all the soaps and creams I have here, and soon we'll be getting into the (few) resident perfumes I keep in the house...

In the beginning her favorite was Proraso but now she's fully changed to T&H 1805. Her comment when she smelled the Tabac shave cream and stick I have here was "...this smells like rotten wood flooring..." :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol:

EJ DE89L Barley loaded with a Feather blade.
EJ PreShave cream
Essence of Scotland Mountain Yew (2 passes)
alum block (ouch!)
Dermalogica Post Shave Balm (great stuff)

Sunday:

Merkur HD 34c
Crystal IP
Martin de Candre
NF Tubby 1
Floris Elite edt

A leisurely shave, and my third use of the legendary Martin de Candre (thanks to a very generous sample PIF from Neep :)). An outstanding soap - as superb as its reputation suggests.

I'm really glad to have had the chance to try it. However, I doubt it will be knocking my current No.1 off it's perch - the equally magnificent Nanny's French Lavender hard soap.

Sunday

Gillette "Old Type" OC
Feather [2]
Cheapo Wilkos Boar Brush
Wilkinson Sword Blue Bowl
Thayers Witch Hazel
L'Oreal A/B
Denim A/S

Another one of my old razors salvaged :), I love the Old Type OCs, managed to have another decent shave, face lathered with the blue bowl [yes you can make pretty good lather with it] and set about with the OC which with the feather produced a silky smooth shave [maybe shaving with the R101 has honed my technique]. Managed to find a bottle of Denim and splashed it on for a bit of nostalgia.

ttfn

T

Merkur 38R
Wilkinson Sword (German, gold 5)
Palmolive cream
TOBS Shaving Shop aftershave balm

Not a fan of these Wilkies. Pull a bit for me. I thought I would try in Merkur as it's a bit more aggressive than what I've been using lately. Not a bad result but not as enjoyable a process as usual.
However, the balm is still part of the shaving process and my new balm is great stuff, particularly as this smell is my current favourite

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, extra stuffed silvertip 26 mm in a soapstone from Kenya
Razor: Erik Anton Berg, 1/4 grind :D
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: ROMA by Laura B
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

What a nice grind and razor! E A Berg usually did hollow ground razors, but this blade's nowhere close to that.
007800x562.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Iridium
Rivivage SS
SebaMed AS Balsam
TGQ 'Leatherneck' extrait

Really nice shave using this soap once again. Maybe I'll review this one sometime.

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday
Just can't seem to stay away from the Gillette 1904's. Received, a new to me, one in the mail this week. A 1917 '04, Property U S Army. My father was born in '05 and I remember him telling me about wrapping bandages in school to send to the troops. The stories that this razor could tell(J 1790).
On the shave side; I could see why the original '3SSS' would only take 10mins.
Razor: 1917 Gillette '04
Razor: Astra
Brush: Horse Hair (of course!)
Soap: Palmolive Stick
After shave: Masters Bay Rum

Acceptable shave after the FIRST PASS! Really. That's way I love these razors. What a Wonder they must have been when they 1st came out! 3 passes and it was as close as the New R41. ~100yrs and it's still as good as it gets!

With all of these fantastic photo inserts we should think about doing a "shave of the day calendar!" It might be a good charity fund raiser. It's a waste not to share them.

Johnus said:
With all of these fantastic photo inserts we should think about doing a "shave of the day calendar!" It might be a good charity fund raiser. It's a waste not to share them.

Agreed absolutely!
I really look forwards to my daily look at these photos.

Rod

Back
Top Bottom