Shave of the day W/C Saturday 9th July

Sunday

Merkur 33G
Feather Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Good, but not quite as good as yesterday.

Ian

EJ DE89
W/Sword Blade
Vulfix Bodger
Maca Root Cream
Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar

Didn't shave yesterday and was in fact thinking of not bothering today. However the thought of a leisurely Sunday shave was too much to resist and I'm glad I did. Lovely head and face shave. Sage and cedar seems apt for a sunny summer Sunday too.....

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1970s Schick M type adjustable injector/ Personna Twinjector (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation tallow version)
Compos do Jordao AS
Hermes 'Eau de Cologne' (vintage)

Interesting shave today when using these old blades. Years ago before starting the DE journey, these were my favorites in my go to injector. I'd tried maybe 6-7 various types and the Twins worked the best so I stuck with those for a long time. I wanted to revisit these for comparison after having tried a bunch more excellent vintage blades.

Man, I almost tossed this Personna because it wasn't as smooth and sharp as I remembered. Nope, compared to the other types I've used recently, the Twins were a bit of a rough road. Yeah, a little pulling was felt during the shave, and the results fall just short of BBS. Very good, but not great.

Heh, I bought many cases (12 packs of 6) of these blades years ago from ebay and sold a bunch off when the DE took over. I still have one NOS case and this might be a good time to unload em somewhere. No sense in me keeping em for myself.

nearly BBS results,

Martin

Sunday shave

Prep: Hot shower and Proraso for head
Brush: Polo 8
Razors: Wade and Butcher + Old type DE for head
Superlather: Nannys Eucalyptus + Top Secret
AS: Old Spice, Fresh Lime
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Wonderful blade this W&B, scales where so dry when I found her (blade was in very good nick w almost no hone wear though), but Neil managed to save and improve them way more that I thought was possible. Both face and dome´s clean and soft as a Catfish belly today :D
004800x640.jpg

Sunday

Kukri 5/8 - Professor Blighty's Black & White Cream - NF2213 - Alum - Jovan Musk

2zjexzn.jpg

Nice relaxing shave, I find the cream has a pretty narrow sweet spot but once found its great and smells fantastic.​

Sunday

Neo Custom 2 band
TOBS Avocado
Muhle R41 + Shark SS (3)
Alum
Natural Limes A/S
Natural Limes Balm

3 passes: smooth, no irritation. Lovely lather from the TOBS.

Saturday Evening:

• - Gillette Flair-Tip Rocket
    • ~ English-made; late 1950s I think
    - Asco Blue & Red super stainless blade
    - Erasmic Bowl shave soap
    - Omega 21139 brush
    • ~ rubberised-handle, boar

- MICAlum stick
    - Thayers' Lavender witch hazel
    - Royall Lyme ASL

Firstly, an apology; I do that the incredibly very few times I'm not right. This is my second, not my first flair-tip. The first is my Gillette 1958 TV Special Rocket.

Very good, smooth shave in 2 over & 3 below the jawline passes, & polish. Though, following Friday night's Eclipse Red Ring action, there wasn't a huge amount to shear off, still, it was nicely done, all-in-all.

Sunday

Unnamed straight (looks like Sheffield blade, 1/2 or 1/4 hollow)
Acca Kappa 1869 (veggie)
Semogue 2000
Prada Infusion D'Homme after shave balm
[Prada Infusion D'Homme Eau de Toilette]

SOTD_10July.jpg

A shave to remember, one of the closest and effortless ones I have had so far. Technique is improving constantly, the new Neil Miller strop is doing a terrific job, the ritual literally starts to feel as easy as shaving with a DE (but I said "starts" - we have a long way yet until it really feels like so...)

Sunday 07-10-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Morris & Forndran Two Bands 25X53 - Gillette Aristocrat #58 - Shark #1- Pre JASÖN - TOBS Jermyn Street Collection shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL TOBS Jermyn Street Collection.

Afeitado10-07-11.jpg

SUNDAY EVENING

Hot sponge and MWF prep
Merkur 38C
Derby Extra
New Forest Super badger one off
Trumper Sandalwood cream
Trumper lime skin food

3 pass shave. BBS. Lovely.

I actually don't get on badly with the Derby blades. However, I am now going to start the process of trying a variety of others. The Derby will be my point of reference.

Tardy, tardy, tardy:blush:

Saturday

TV Rocket & Astra (1)
Proraso & EJ BB
Proraso AS

nice and easy does it:icon_razz:

Sunday

TVR & Astra (2)
C&S 88 & EJ BB
Nivea ASB

finally got round to buying (yet) another Le Creuset mini casserole dish from TK Maxx yesterday, so the 88 now has a proper home. So it will get played with more often as it is sat there on the shelf shouting 'pick me!...pick me!!' every morning

Back
Top Bottom