Shave of the day w/c Saturday 8th May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday

Shower
Revisor 8/8
Sandalwood cream
Super badger brush, no name, but good performer for face lather (wich I did)
Proraso (post)
English leahter AS splash
Two passes: one WTG and one ATG
Worked out nice, close to a baby butt face

Attachments

• SNB11398.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 81
Tuesday

Gem Jr
Gem SE
TOBS Lemon & Lime
Commodore
RSC Balm

Got the Gem Jr from Andyml73 today and couldn't resist having a go with it. I took it pretty easy so the results are nothing to write home about, but it's a lovely little thing. Not sure I'm an SE convert just yet, but I like it enough to put a bulk order in for SE blades and it'll definitely be in my rotation until I get a new DE.

Tuesday evening

Following a very busy day and a nice evening walk, a quick shower and a shave.

Pre-shave: ESPA Shave Mud (during shower).
Brush: AoS.
Razor/blade: Muhle R89/Feather (2).
Bowl: Traditional Latvian pottery.
Soap: Cella.
Alum: AoS.
Toner: Clinique scruffing lotion 2 1/2.
AS: N/A.
Moisturizer: N/A.
ASB: Nivea Sensitive.
Cologne/EdT: N/A.

Heard on the telly tonight that women in Smyrni (sadly what today is called Izmir), Minor Asia (sadly what today is called West Turkish coast) used to say "...never put in your face something you would never eat yourself..." Makes you wonder why the hell we use all that stuff nowadays.

Received the ESPA Shave Mud as a gift (together with a large shower gel tube) back in February when I joined their local outlet here. It is like the L'Erbolario stuff I mistakenly bought couple of months back - no lather at all plus that it smells like a muddy face scrub. Just when I was debating whether to send it to my father back home (together with the L'Erbolario stuff) or simply throw it away, I remembered the scrubbing effect and decided to give it a try as a pre-shave scrub prep. I think it succeeds in that - irritation to my neck was minimal.

The AoS brush is excellent, the Cella gave plenty of lather and the R89 is giving a beautiful shave once I get the pre-shave prep right.

IMG_0866b.jpg

Have a pleasant night gents.

Tuesday

Ever Ready (unknown type)
GEM SE Blade (#2)
Cella soap
Kent BK4
Alum Block
Lloyds Chemists' Witch Hazel
Blue Stratos AS
Boots Essentials AS Balm

Day 3 of the Cella. Back to the badger brush to get more lather, but still no legendary slickness. I guess one man's slickness is another's standard lather. :cry:

lagaffe said:
Monday

Ever Ready (unknown type)
GEM SE Blade (#1)
Cella soap
Vulfix No.5 Pure Bristle
Alum Block
Lloyds Chemists' Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
L'Oreal Men Expert 24hr Hydrating AS Balm

Day 2 of the Cella. Used my very stiff bristle brush this time, but I'm still not experiencing the legendary slickness yet. Still not a patch on an Arko stick for that!

Hi lagaffe!

Just a thought, but have you had a look at the soap lathering tutorials we have on forum? They are all good, but the one I am thinking of at the moment is by antman.

spandex.. :)

Fido said:
Sunday

Plisson Pure - a good looker but too scratchy for me. So a comfortable painting on of some superb lather from the DR Harris Rose did the trick today.

3-7.jpg

Hi Fido!

Just a "quicky". I know you use that spatula with the lather, but how do you use it?

spandex... :)

Tuesday Evening, 11-10-2010:

• - My first shave oil experiment as pre-shave and oil/polish pass
    - Blank, small boar*1 & Nanny's Exotic*2
    - 1971 The Knack & the Blade of Zorrik*4
    - alum
    - My first ASL Experiment as balm
    - Ample amounts of cold water ... mmmmmmmmm, dat's nice![/list:u]

The blade was sent to me from factor max, as he suffered greatly from The Marks of Zorrik, (The Fey Blade), because, hey, sometimes there just isn't enough crap in my life to worry about...

Oddly, it was a very alright sort of shave. Not exactly a smooth sensation cutting over the skin, but no swathes of blood or tattered flesh swinging from the hacked up bones or anything like that*5. This blade actually went ATG quite nicely, and with 3 passes and the oil/polishing pass, my stubble had been so cleanly shorn, that had I gone outside, I'd have been at terrible risk of having my face slapped by some chavette mistaking it for her yoblin's unclad posterior*6.

• NOTES:
      • *1: freebayt (a neologism of mine =free+ebay+rebate) from when I bought something a few weeks back. Not a bad little brush in my opinion, but for somereason the bristles all lean to the left like haystalks in a high wind. Nice spine otherwise.
        *2: aka The New, Not Sandalwoody soap*3; very, very nice - definitely the equal of her 'new' Lavender and/or Yushu soaps.
        *3: It's now more eeeelang-eeeelangish and citrussy fresh. ... though I never actually have smelled the old Sandalwoody make.
        *4: followed quickly by 3 sounds of "a sabre, rushing through air, cutting a letter zed into 'something'" with great zeal and panache :cool:
        *5: In other words, no need to wear the Mask of Zorrik :roll:
        *6: this is ONLY due to the smoothness factor. Even though I do have fat, choochy chipmunk cheeks, they bear little visible likeness to any arse*7!
        *7: depending on how you feel about Michael Moore's face, I suppose, as there is some resemblance between us, especially when wearing a baseball 'style' cap. :p [/list:u][/list:u]

Tuesday

Semogue 2009
Unidentified "soap" by Olivia
RSC cream

Slim on 7
Super Iridium (new)
Taylor's sandalwood a/s

Holy sheepshit, that was awful. I can't say I wasn't warned. Soap has been disposed of. For those who look down their noses at RSC products, at least they work.

@ lagaffe:

Hmmm...

Pity, I will not say the Cella is "extraordinary" or whatever else (because you well know everyone is different) but I was hoping your second or third post to show things have improved.

I cannot say I can recommend any particular remedies either, as myself I am still learning how to build good lather with soaps and cremes (well, for me with cremes it is much easier).

Spandex rightfully advised to consult the tutorials; I've done that and now what I believe makes the difference is to try and do something different to what you've been doing so far. In my case I have always refrained from putting too much water in the shaving bowl (water droplets with my fingers after I put the cream dollop or after I load the brush in the soap bowl). I was cautious because I didn't want to make lather full of bubbles, i.e. too watery. Lather was not much, as a result.

As I am really generous with the cream or soap, one day I accidentally dropped too much water in the shaving bowl - I said "ok, let's take the brush and try make lather anyway". Then gave time and slowly saw that volume of lather was increasing as time went by (more than a minute). Sometimes after the first shave pass I have also seen that picking up the brush and trying to make some more lather (w/o adding any cream or soap) before applying to face works fast and quick - lather is increased almost exponentially.

I now believe that to produce good lather on average needs time and to work on it, depending on the soap. With cremes it is easier, but then again this is only me. Opinions may vary, and I am a beginner who is learning and trying to figure this out himself in a most convenient and enjoyable way.

Wednesday

Vosene
Rocket & Astra SP (2)
Old Spice Lime Cream Sampler & Semogue 1250 FBB (Full Bore Boar)
Alum
Old Spice AS

Yep, new PM, Brown the Clown unemployed - all change.

First bash with the brush - tres bon (thanks John - BST), first crack with the cream. Initial impressions are that it is quite thin in its raw form, but it lathers nicely with lots of lime, although i didn't pick up on the Old Spice in it.

Will work my way through the sample and then, we'll see. But as you can pick up a tube plus the Lime AS for a touch over a tenner, might be worth a tilt for summer :p

Wednesday

Trumper Razor
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge
EJ Best Badger
Taylor Lavender Cream
Clinique Post Shave Soother
Trumper Bay Rum Cologne

Razor pulled a bit. Lather was too dry - my fault.

Ian

Wednesday:
Hot towel
Ever Ready 12a/Valobra Almond ( I like this stuff :) )
DE87/Laser (2)
Alum
Nivea Replenishing ASB

Trouble free and felt ok afterwards.
regards, beejay

Wednesday

EJ Chatsworth
Croma Diamant (3)
Neo Finest 2-band
SWK Scuttle
Kent / MWF Soap
CHH Tobbacco AS
Nivea ASB.

Last shave of that blade! Again, end results are good, no weepers and very smooth. It just felt uncomfortable while shaving. I have 2 more of these left and will re-try in the Futur and Fatboy to see if my memory serves me correct.

Have a good day gents.

Wednesday - Classic day:
mikael-albums-11-may-picture6684-12-may.jpg

Tabac AS and soap
Razor Mappin 6/8 (restored by Neil Miller, A+++ work)
Custom 24 mm silver tip chubby with aluminium handle, from Ikonrazor.
Proraso post + gel

Everything went fine, until I started to think :roll: , 3 passes and just some touching up around the mouth left... Well, I cut myself in the lip :evil: . Had to use a massive amount of Proraso gel to stop the bleeding :cry: . Other than that :lol: , a very nice shave.

Mikael said:
Everything went fine, until I started to think :roll: , 3 passes and just some touching up around the mouth left... Well, I cut myself in the lip :evil: . Had to use a massive amount of Proraso gel to stop the bleeding :cry: . Other than that :lol: , a very nice shave.
Ouch, lips cuts seem to be the worse to stop bleeding.

Wednesday
Merker Slant 37c
Tesco Israeli Blade (3)
Pure Badger
Nanny's Citrus Soap
Alum
Coral Skin Food

I'm still working on getting the best from the slant. I seem to scrap one area of my face and more or less missed an area today. Other than those small minor points a DFS. No irritation or redness. I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about how aggressive these are. perhaps my technique is better than I thought, although if it was, I wouldn't have missed and scrapped an area.

I usually use moisteriser after applying skin food, today I thought I'd see how good the moisterising properties of nanny's soap is. At present I would say better than Trumpers coconut cream I usually use.

Sunday – Wednesday

Futur
Duke 3 Best
Super Thin (1-4)
Harris Almond Stick
Speick AS

I’m finding this soap to be quite unforgiving with regards to lather building; it has a very narrow margin either side of the sweet spot.

The Super Thin is an absolute joy to use. Fido graciously passed a few on to me and it’s the first blade I’ve used that has given the “Wow” factor. This is the forth thin I’ve used and I’m managing to get 6 comfortable shaves per blade.

I’m wondering what sort of bribe would be needed for other members to part with their blades... ;)

The Speick speaks for itself.

The Futur looks blue with a hint of yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom