Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 8th Jan 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday

Kropp 5/8
New Forest 2201 Brush
Proraso Cream
Aqua Velva a/s

Same old, same old. No cuts, no burn, but simply not clean enough.

Ian

IanM said:
Mikael said:
IanM said:
Sunday
Same old, same old. No cuts, no burn, but simply not clean enough.
Ian

You´ll get there, if you hang in :D It feels like it never will happen, but it will

That's EXACTLY how it feels.

Ian

I know, I do know. But it´ll get better, learning curve is steeper than for DE:s, but it´s also a longer curve, if it makes sense. You´ll get better and better and you´ll get to the point where you have a shave result even to the DE:s, then you´ll maybe think "Hey, it´s not worth it, I can get as good shaves with a DE" ... But you´ll get more, if you hang in there :D

Sunday

Edwin Jagger DE89 with and Astra Platinum
Mr Taylor Cream, Vulfix 2235
Alum
Givenchy Gentleman AS

WTG + XTG + ATG + polish & buff = Perfect BBS. I like the GG AS but find the fragrance very short lived, I will have to get hold of some of the EDT.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
vintage Hoffritz Slant/Iridium
TGQ Bay Rum/Sweet orange SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Jacomo de Jacomo EdT (older version)

I'll get a slant out every so often, and this one called to me this morning. It's an older slant version with the fatter handle, and the razor has some nice weight to it.

Heh, I admit to using slant types more for the way they look and feel, rather than trying for a stellar shave. To me, they don't really shave any better or closer than some other razors I've tried, but they're fun to use sometimes. I don't find these to be especially aggressive, although I do have to pay a little more attention to detail because of the design. The couple slants I've used have felt like maybe a 6 tops on the Gillette scale, which is in my comfort range.

Sigh......I'm down to the last puck of the wonderful soap that Colleen makes (or made). No idea when she'll resume production, but soon hopefully. This is the only bay rum soap or cream in my rotation, and I tried a bunch over the years. Great performance and great scent.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• hoffritz and dovo 002.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 63
  • hoffritz and dovo 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 63
Lucky Man U penalty!

On a more serious note, another reminder today of the superb quality of the palmolive soap lather. I have three sticks stuffed into a mini casserole dish which has room to enable a great lather to be whipped up without much mess. This soap really is a match for just about any other at any price. Used some of Steve's pre shave soap. My skin felt extra soft after the shave! No idea why! I think we will be hearing more about this some time soon.

1-3.jpg

Now I must concentrate on the football.

Sunday, 01-09-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive oil - Omega Nº48 Profesional - Gillette Rocket HD500 - Gillette Platinum #2 - Pre JASÖN Shave Therapy - Vitto's shaving soap - Astringent Thayers Lemon - ASL Pinaud Clubman + ASB Weleda + Gel aftershave JASÖN 6 in 1.

Afeitado09-01-11002-1.jpg

Sunday

White proraso pre/post
NF 2201
Proraso Green soap
Merkur HD + GST (2 or 3)
Thayers Superhazel
Proraso ASB
Woke up as bit stubbly this morning after yesterdays shave, so thought I would have another go! I normally do evey other day or less than that.
However, A close comfortable shave was the result.

Sunday 9th January

Dutch Moss - Semogue LE 2010 - Wilkinson Sticky - Gillette Bleue (1) - Speick AS

877358f1.jpg

First shave with a newly acquired Wilkinson Sticky. I think it would be very difficult to cause much harm with this razor, it seemed very smooth. I ended up with enough lather for probably about ten passes from Henk's cream, but only did two.

T+H pre shave oil
Edwin jagger black badger
Body shop maca root cream
Merkur 34C HD with feather (2)
Cold rinse, osma alum.
Body shop Kistna balm.

One quick pass only, just to tidy up prior to lunch in the pub... don't want to go full on with a feather seeing as I go back to work tomorrow.

Result: Not too shabby.

First shave with a DE; Three Passes

Pre: Hot shower
Brush: Edwin Jagger Super Badger (Medium)
Razors: Wilkinsons Classic DE with Wilkinsons Blades (as available in Boots)
Soap: Edwin Jagger Sandalwood Cream Soap
AS+EDT: Alum followed by Real Shaving Co AS Balm

Result: Very smooth all over with the exception of the jawline towards the chin. Very sore over the shaving rash towards the base of the neck, but I'd expect this will (hopefully) subside after time on account of the fact that the Mach 3 is in the bin. Definitely a convert to the DE, and will certainly be following up with the straight in time.

Sunday, 1.9.11

Hot Towel prep
Tabac Shave Soap
New Forest 2201 Superior Badger
Kinfolks Blue Steel Special Round Point
Tony Miller Artisan Strop .. 70 Linen/75 Leather
Bloc Osma Alum
Mennen Skin Bracer

I wish the Blue Steel Special had a bit more pizzazz to match the shaves it provides, but I guess we're two of a kind... Not much to look at... but we can still get the job done! It got a touch-up on the La Grosse Blanche pre shave, and I knew it was gonna' be good!

IMG_2952-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom