Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday

Edwin Jagger DE 89
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Institut Karite Shaving Soap
Alum

Good, but not superb. My first try of the IK soap, and I think I hit it with too much water.

Ian

Jeltz said:
No razor honing today but I did use my new found skills to restore and sharpen the knife. I bought it about 30 years ago aged 11 partly as an act of rebellion towards my parents who had said I couldn't have one. I was at a friends house and we went into town, I'd saved up the money and although the guy in the shop wasn't too happy about it (he offered to let me phone my parents from the shop) I bought it. When I arrived back at my fiends house his mother saw from our faces that we'd been up to something, found out and made me ring my parents. When I got home my dad had me show him it, said they would trust me to be careful with it and gave it back to, me some rebellion huh! Over the following few years it sharpened many sticks and spend a lot of time being thrown at trees. Leaving the carbon steel blade tarnished rusting and blunt, today it is shining and sharp in a way that it hasn't been for many many years. (BTW My son is 11, I offered to buy him a Swiss Army knife he declined!)

Nice story and a good looking knife! My rusty Opinel that I got when I was 12 will probably never look that good ;-)

Anyway, on to todays shave:
Gillette #58 (first time, nice razor!)
Gillette Bleue Extra blade
Hardright Butterscotch reknotted brush (first time use)
Institut Karite shaving soap (first time use)
Weleda ASB

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest,two band
Razor: Peroux Cognet
Soap: MdC
AS: Island, Bay Rum
Cologne: Ultraviolet by Paco Rabanne
Strop: Neil Miller
Result: Clean enough :)

Yesterdays shave, I didn´t have time to post yesterday. Starting to learn the London water, but I think I´ll super lather some more though :D. Shave was so so, clean enough, but not like I like it :D
aug3.jpg

Pre-shave: Musgo glycerine soap
Brush: Shavemac DO1 24mm
Razor: "Ch Monternier Montpellier" 7/8 extra hollow
Strop: Scrupleworks
Soap: Valobra
Bowl: Schwarzweisskeramiek extra large
A/S or astringent: Gold Dachs
A/S balm: no
Alum: no
Cologne: no
Moisturizer: Clinique M lotion
Comments: Internet reveals that Charles Monternier is a Montpellier perfume maker, established in 1869 and still in business today. Doubt they still sell straights though :) BBS shave.
2mdp1l3.jpg

Last night:

Hot shower
Palmolive stick, face-lathered with
New Forest Tubby 2
Gillette Slim-Twist
Gillette 7OC Yellow (4)
GFT Limes skin food

Yes.

Omega 49 (still only have the one brush)
Tabac soap
'47 SS
Astra SP

First time using an Astra, impressed so far. Normally I'd only go WTG, XTG and touch ups, but today I went for a full ATG third pass. Very smooth. :)

Thursday

Pretty much What I have been using the last few weeks.

Merkur 34C
Shark SS
Semogue 2015
Proraso Soap
Thayers Superhazel
Vifrex AS Gel

IMAG0009.jpg

I really hope Paul doesn't stop stocking the Vifrex. I've absolutely fallen for it. An alcoholic gel which hits like an AS Splash, dries in quickly, gives you an extreme short burst of menthol all with a very light barbershop scent.

I'd recommend It to anyone to try, it is a bit pricey (£7.10 for 50ml at connaught) but I think it's well worth it.

P.S. The shaves have been pretty good too

Thursday, 4.Ago.2011

Predopobarba Proraso
Semogue 2000
Original Men's Estoril Sports Line
7 O'Clock
Derby Extra
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
"O Melhor" ASB

P1040790.jpg

This shaving cream is very inexpensive - and very easy to find in my hometown. Albeit it is not as good as Confiança or Claus Porto creams, it is a fine shaving cream, and delivers a very close, confortable shave.
But this cream holds a sentimental value to me. It is produced by Nally, an old portuguese soap factory (founded in 1928) that is situated in Lisbon, right next to my old university. And that makes me remember those good old times.

The Semogue 2000 is an impressive brush, one of my favourite ones, by Semogue. all and all, a most excellent shave, topped by the refreshing touch of the "O Melhor" ASB.

Thursday

GB Kent T4
DR Harris Arlington
Filarmonica 13, white scales
R&G L'Homme

...and depicting my favourite night-time moisturiser for the evening of every shave day. Very soothing and moisturising. Smells great and seems to work whatever the weather - the wonderful Korres Borage for men moisturiser. I have been hoarding this cream for ages!

[attachment=3222]​

Attachments

• DSCF0052.jpg
    DSCF0052.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 4
Friday

Rex Eskilstuna 5/8
David Hayward Design 'le Tuft' refit, 22mm finest
Dr. Henk's' Bay Rum with A Twist
Truefitt & Hill 1805 after shave balm
Dior Homme Intense Eau de Parfum

SOTD_05Aug.jpg

fozz77 said:
Henks soap is hard to beat IMO.

+1

Friday

Edwin Jagger DE 89
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Institut Karite Shaving Soap
Alum

Same as yesterday. Slightly better lather from the IK today, but still far from being the best. I plan to try some test lathers this evening, as I was expecting better from this soap.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom