Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 26th March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday

Merkur 11C : Wilkinson : Simpson Duke 3 Best : Penhaligons Opus 1870 sc : D.R. Harris Marlborough as : Penhaligons Opus 1870 asb & EdT

SOTD_Mar31.jpg

Hot shower
Radio4

EJ DE89
Personna
Men U brush
Ingrams
One planet balm
Forest Fresh asl

Bit bleary eyed this morning so opted for an ingrams wake up call. Now fit and fresh, great head and face shave.

Thursday 31st March

Provence Santé - Vintage Culmak Restore TGN 18mm Best - British Ever Ready 1912 SE - GEM Stainless Steel Coated (3) - Floid Blue

I thought the knot in this brush was too prickly when I first restored it, but now it's softened up, provides a bit of scritch and I really enjoy using it. It makes a nice change to the bigger brushes that I have.

Thursday morning
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Razor: Joh. Engström
Soap: Barbershop, Lime
AS: Aqua Velva
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D
002800x608.jpg

Thursday

EJ DE 89L
Derby Extra (1)
Grosvenor 404 Bodger
C&E Sandalwood Soap

EJ Sandalwood AS

Three pass, face lather.

Excellent - and I include the Derby in this. I'm both amazed and delighted. I have a good few Derby blades lying around (I bet most of us have) and they are superb with a Muhle R41 OC and now seemingly rather effective with the EJ89L. Experience, technique and the right razor can really make a difference to a blade's performance.

:D

Sadly, no shave today guys. Too many ingrowns/razor bumps, so need to give the skin a rest. But I bet you my Sunday shave will be superb!!!

Thursday

Planet Rock in the back ground on the wireless.

Hot towl
Gillette Slim adjustable
Gillette 7 O' Clock Double Edged Razor Blades (Yellow box)
Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Cyril Salter Luxury Shaving Cream (Sandalwood)
Witch Hazel (distilled from Boots chemist)
Trumpers skin food (Sandalwood)

Its been a busy few days so not had a chance to post much.

A nice mild three pass shave today on setting 2 on the slim (WTG, XTG and AGT). I was somewhat groggy this morning and figured go easy and I won't nick myself.

I got a nice smooth shave and a few little spots I could have gone over if I was more awake but its presentable for work and I am happy with the results.

Nice to go back to the sandalwood, I thought I was going off the scent but I was wrong I have enough in my rotation that every day is a different scent. :)

shave'S' of the day in my case

in a good mood so thought I would have a play.
1305 brush with some Arko - great lather
right cheek - Roll's Razor - WTG - loads of tugging and pulling and not the greatest of shave loads of stubble left, might need to spend more time on the blade or even get it sent for a 'proper' hone
left cheek - Ever Ready - WTG using GEM blade - cut the hair in line with most of my normal first passes but ended up with LOADS and I mean LOADS of very little weepers but not a bad cut for 1 pass
Neck and chin - Old Faithful Gillette Tech Ballend - WTG Nancet Blade - Nicely done as always with this combo for me (astra's give a slightly smoother shave but these are more than acceptable)

relathered and went XTG with the Ballend to tidy up

Liked the ever ready so will keep practicing with it until I get the hang of it - Just love this experimenting and as i'm off work at the moment a few nicks and cuts don't matter :roll:

To Try list - JE89, Shavette, Straight

MWF Hand Soap,
Musgo Real SC,
Simpson Colonel,
Dovo 5/8,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Limes SF,
Davidoff Cool Water Game EdT.

SOTDMar31st2011.jpg

Mother always said I was the black sheep of the family!! :lol:

Thursday;

Dentists so bit of a lie in today and far more shave time than normal. So it's going to be a straight shave day.

Shower
Soap: MWF
Brush: Sem 1305
Razor: ERN
AS: Ogalalla BR with lime and peppercorns.

Passable shave. No disasters. Quite enjoyable, I think I am getting used to this now. Full three passes. Muscle memory is starting to kick in, my usual shakes are calming down. I did resort to a tech quick wipe around the under nose / lower lip areas.

Pleased to report the MWF works a treat in the well 'ard south London water I have down here. Jolly nice stuff it is as well.

The og bay rum burns a bit doesn't it?

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Ever Ready badger
Bohin/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Caron 'Yatagan' As (1970s version)
Caron 'Yatagan' Pour Homme EdT (1970s)

Second shave with this French made open comb. Seems like the Bohin is one of those to be used with zero pressure, which is partly due to the razor being a bit head heavy. Yeah, this thing has some bite to it after all, but nothing I can't adjust my technique for. I gotta admit it gives me one hell of a close shave, but I'm wondering if a little milder blade might be a better fit for this. Hmmm, that might be worth a try down the road.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Yatagan.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 101
  • Bohin 005 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 101
German Wilk (1)
Merkur Bakelite
Kent BK2
Erasmic cream
T&H Trafalgar Aftershave
Anthony Logistics Moisturiser

After almost a year of DE, I must really be getting somewhere, as the wife was moved to mention "your skin looks really good" this morning. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom